Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea - behind closed doors friendly?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well if you can’t see what the problem is perhaps you been asleep for the past 2 weeks

Perhaps you could explain what specifically the problem is?

Could be a frosty reception for our erstwhile management team, but what's that got to do with the price of fish?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Well if you can’t see what the problem is perhaps you been asleep for the past 2 weeks

You’ll have to explain, I don’t see what the problem is either. There is nothing Potter will learn from the game about our players that he doesn’t already know, so it’s not like it’s going to be a shopping expedition for him. Thankfully Bloom and co see the value in our players getting a friendly in when they won’t have a game for a month. He can take the emotion out of what is clearly a business decision made in the best interests (of fitness) for our players.

The only other local club without a game this weekend is Palace so I’m sure everyone would have been really happy with a behind closed door friendly against them on the day we were meant to be playing them anyway. That would have gone down really well.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You’ll have to explain, I don’t see what the problem is either. There is nothing Potter will learn from the game about our players that he doesn’t already know, so it’s not like it’s going to be a shopping expedition for him. Thankfully Bloom and co see the value in our players getting a friendly in when they won’t have a game for a month. He can take the emotion out of what is clearly a business decision made in the best interests (of fitness) for our players.

The only other local club without a game this weekend is Palace so I’m sure everyone would have been really happy with a behind closed door friendly against them on the day we were meant to be playing them anyway. That would have gone down really well.

Why would you want to help a club that has taken your manager , all your back room staff , then play a friendly against them ,a week later Potter not interested in our team , he is looking at Chelsea , why the hell should we help him , and what use is a friendly when the new manager is not in his post ? None , i
And if you don’t understand that try another sport to watch

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why would you want to help a club that has taken your manager , all your back room staff , then play a friendly against them ,a week later Potter not interested in our team , he is looking at Chelsea , why the hell should we help him , and what use is a friendly when the new manager is not in his post ? None , i

But aren’t we also ensuring our own players retain a degree of match fitness?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Well our now new manager was also there watching, so that's pretty helpful for him as well as our players getting a good run out with an extra spring in their step knowing he was watching.

Maybe just chill a bit eh - really don't think it's anything that's worth getting worked up about

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Perhaps we asked Potter to do a ‘hand over’ which is not unusual when most people leave a job.
I’ve just left a job and was asked to do one, understandably.
Chelsea would hardly object as I expect they don’t see us as a direct competitor and we do seem to have built up quite a collaborative relationship with them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

It's not about helping Potter and Chelsea, its about what it does for our players and their fitness levels, match shaprness etc. That is what Bloom would have thinking about, its ultimately a business decision that makes sense. Bloom doesn't get on with Matthew Benham, but that didn't stop them doing a deal for Neal Maupay, clearly Bloom can see the bigger picture and act in the best interests of the club without being clouded by personal bias.

I am sure Tony would have liked a different team, but Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool are not logistically likely to happen and as previously mentioned it wouldn't have worked playing Palace in a friendly when we were meant to be playing them in the league, so we only really had one option.

Although the new manager wasn't in place he was at the game watching, so its a chance for him to run his eye over the squad as well.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I think it was the other way round - they were helping us rather than we helping them - they had a match this week - we didn’t !

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I read a twitter comment from a Chelsea supporter which read "Chelsea won the game 2-1. Carney Chukwuemeka got both goals".

Really?

I thought the term 'both' referred to 'two' of something and there were three goals in the match!

Sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know who scored the 'third' goal?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I read a twitter comment from a Chelsea supporter which read "Chelsea won the game 2-1. Carney Chukwuemeka got both goals".

Really?

I thought the term 'both' referred to 'two' of something and there were three goals in the match!

Sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know who scored the 'third' goal?

Post 97 and it was an under 18 striker

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn’t see any issue with this training match ???
Nope, but then I'm not one to jump to conclusions or comment on something, with authority, when I don't know all the facts.

But it's bound to be Bruno's or Potter's fault :shrug:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Am I the only one who is quite appreciative of Chelsea agreeing to this. Bloom is far from stupid, Our new manager had the chance to see the team in full flight against a strong opponent in a game that has no consequences, a full 2 weeks before his first PL game. Whats not to like. Sure shit happened they poached our coaching squad, at least they had the decency to help bed in the new coach and his team. This event just shows the class of our owner and ceo.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Am I the only one who is quite appreciative of Chelsea agreeing to this. Bloom is far from stupid, Our new manager had the chance to see the team in full flight against a strong opponent in a game that has no consequences, a full 2 weeks before his first PL game. Whats not to like. Sure shit happened they poached our coaching squad, at least they had the decency to help bed in the new coach and his team. This event just shows the class of our owner and ceo.

This.
It's amazing how many of our fans know more about the squad and it's needs than Bloom, Barber and Wier.

Not even going to go into the possibility of it being a 'deal closer' for RDZ to join us. Coincidence that he just happens to be at the game??

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think we can put this in the 'probably not going to happen' bin.

"Chelsea manager Graham Potter wants to make a move for Tottenham and England star Harry Kane, 29, and is ready to offer Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku, 29, in exchange. (Calciomercato - in Italian)"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62960768

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Not even going to go into the possibility of it being a 'deal closer' for RDZ to join us. Coincidence that he just happens to be at the game??
With regard to this I doubt very much that there were any 'coincidences' in having RDZ in the same room as GP, considering the genuine respect GP has for how our club is run and the fantastic foundations he built with the squad. Does anyone really think that, Bloom did not see the opportunity, contact Chelsea and arrange this. Yes I know that I am speculating, TB does not sit by and let the world batter him, rather he takes control and grabs opportunities, so I have very little doubt that this was deliberately arranged and several informal meetings took place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here