Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheery FACT if you invest in shares

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else notice that the banner advert that comes up when you open this thread is for some dodgy geezers called 'Shareworld Investment Forum' who can't spell 'Discuss' or 'Strategies'? ???

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
That's great advice. Quick, lock in your loss.

The ONLY reason to sell now is if you need the money. And if you do, you shouldn't be invested in shares. If you knew you were going to need it now then you should have cashed in 18 months ago.

If you didn't know you would need it now then it should have been in a bank if you don't have any emergency cash fund, NOT in shares.

Share investment always has been and always will be - for the masses at least - for the long term. At least 5 years, and preferably longer. And switch to cash 18 months before you need the money.

If you have shares, hang on in there. They WILL go up again, promise!

The only long term investment is a short term 'punt' gone wrong ;)

At what point do you think the market will bottom out? Some time this year? Thinking of investing but not sure when to do so.

Firstly, I am not qualified to give advice so this is just my opinion. Secondly, anyone who says they are qualified to give advice is a liar. The bare truth is no one knows. Advisors adise you to buy stuff because they get comission.

As far as the market goes, I would say March is going to be very choppy but there is a very strong downward bias at the moment. The big market players are not even close to getting back in yet. Hedge funds still reducing their portfolios so I think a strong rally in the near term very unlikely. Personally, I would hold off for a bit. If you miss the start of a rally it won't kill you, you'll still make out like a bandit. Get in too early and you could get a nasty shock.

I think most people expect 2009 to be roughly even with a rally in 2010. I'd go along with that based on the feel of things at the moment. But what do I know?

Reading a Morgan Stanley report at the moment, their current target for the FTSE-100 in 12 months time is 3500. Current level, 3533.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Reading a Morgan Stanley report at the moment, their current target for the FTSE-100 in 12 months time is 3500. Current level, 3533.

I agree with what you say, but a well run share portfolio can still make money in this environment.

I agree with what you say, but a well run share portfolio can still make money in this environment.

True. The headline fund we run here was up 8% last year against the backdrop of a market in freefall. If you can do it, good luck to you. I can't, and nor can most professionals so I would recommend that the man on the street stays well away.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
True. The headline fund we run here was up 8% last year against the backdrop of a market in freefall. If you can do it, good luck to you. I can't, and nor can most professionals so I would recommend that the man on the street stays well away.

Basically What You're Saying Is That You're Clueless And Not Fit To Lick Garth's Boots.

Mar 12, 2008
Just read the same Morgan Stanley report, fairly bearish.

I've been buying FTSE 100 iShares for my ISA at this level. It probably isn't the bottom but I don't think we're too far off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here