Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheery FACT if you invest in shares

I guess many of you have pensions, ISA's etc. If you had bought a basket of FTSE-100 shares in September 1996 and held it until today, it is now worth LESS. So looks like we are all in work till we are 80 then.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I guess many of you have pensions, ISA's etc. If you had bought a basket of FTSE-100 shares in September 1996 and held it until today, it is now worth LESS. So looks like we are all in work till we are 80 then.

not bothered - 85 Million is mine on the euro lottery this eve...may go for harveys at lunchto celebrate!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
time to buy methinks. this illustrates the shortcoming of buying the market, need to be more nibble.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The herd are moving out so its the right time to move in.

I bought ISAs this week and will buy again in April.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Capitalism is broken. Time to raise the red flag, comrades.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Capitalism is broken. Time to raise the red flag, comrades.

Its a win win situation. If capitalism is about to go tits up.Then we are all in the same boat. If it recovers and I have brought shares for f*** all then in 10 years I am the Albions next chairman:lol:

LESS. And falling. Sorry. Sell Sell Sell!

That's great advice. Quick, lock in your loss.

The ONLY reason to sell now is if you need the money. And if you do, you shouldn't be invested in shares. If you knew you were going to need it now then you should have cashed in 18 months ago.

If you didn't know you would need it now then it should have been in a bank if you don't have any emergency cash fund, NOT in shares.

Share investment always has been and always will be - for the masses at least - for the long term. At least 5 years, and preferably longer. And switch to cash 18 months before you need the money.

If you have shares, hang on in there. They WILL go up again, promise!

It was a jovial comment (not advice) made to someone who bought shares LAST WEEK. If you have a long term plan, fine. If you are punting then it makes sense to sell now if the market is collapsing and then buy back when it is cheaper. Jeez.

Phew! That's great news, I was worried there for a minute. Although I think that is what we call talking up your own book.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some of us also have them as part of stock options! ie we had no choice...

I don't get that. Options are, as the name suggests, an option to buy. The holder of the option still has to make the choice to buy, or not as the case may be.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't get that. Options are, as the name suggests, an option to buy. The holder of the option still has to make the choice to buy, or not as the case may be.

Some companies pay bonus' in shares - ie stock option (although there isn't any option really).... I have to hold them for at least 3 years from each bonus period at the price set down at the time....

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
At what point do you think the market will bottom out? Some time this year? Thinking of investing but not sure when to do so.

Nobody knows.

The last big crash ended with the FTSE at about 3200. We are not far off that again, so make your guess.

The markets reflect uncertainty, so once all the skeletons are out the cupboard it can cope with a recession and will probably rise during that period as it has in the past.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

The ONLY reason to sell now is if you need the money. And if you do, you shouldn't be invested in shares. If you knew you were going to need it now then you should have cashed in 18 months ago.

If you didn't know you would need it now then it should have been in a bank if you don't have any emergency cash fund, NOT in shares.

Share investment always has been and always will be - for the masses at least - for the long term. At least 5 years, and preferably longer. And switch to cash 18 months before you need the money.

sound advice :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here