Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheating American TW*TS

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ahh, yes Simster BUT...I'd forgotten about the Scotland factor. This obviously acts as a hindrance to GB's chances and not only do we carry the Tartan messes but it ties up valuable English resource which could be out training for medals.

Hence: a revised table with this built in:

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 230

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Re the 3, 2, 1 points ranking per medal - this is clearly ridiculous because winning 2 Gold Medals is clearly more of an achievement for a nation than having 3 2nd Place silvers.

5, 3, 1 is nearer the mark although, again, I'd have thought a gold and a bronze were worth more than 2 silvers.

I think if you ask Kath Grainger, she'd swap her 3 rowing silvers for single gold any day.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The way the rest of the world do it is fine. Number of golds won, if a tie, the number of silvers won, if still a tie number of bronze won, if still a tie alphbetically.

Bit arrogant to assume that the British way is "the way the rest of the world do it". It isn't. Over here in Canada they tend to do it by total number of medals as well, even though we didn't have a single one in the first week so it certainly wasn't to make things look better. And the official Olympic website has both.

Anyway, the whole nationalistic medals table rather misses the point of the Olympics anyway in my book. How about just celebrating the best sporting performances instead of trying to make it some kind of jingoistic peacock display?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Pure Yank bashing in my book!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Funny, because I would have said this whole thread suggests the average UK ego is rather fragile too.

Come off it, even you know how much Americans sneer at Canada which is quite ridiculous. The fact is most Americans (and I have met quite a few) seem oblivious to anything outside of their city limits.

American; "USA is the greatest country in the WORLD

Johnny Foreigner; "Have you visited many countries to compare?"

A; "why WOULD I? America is the greatest nation in the WORLD"

JF; "Great - so you don't want to ever leave America, to see this World you keep ruling over?"

A; "I don't need to, I have seen Northern Mexico with it's cacti and desert, I got blind drunk and arrested and bought some crap pottery and furniture just so I could say I been there - and USA is TGCITW !!"

JF; "er....yeah, and the biggest eh?"

A; "tha's RIGHT, USA are the BIGGEST"

JF; "same size, roughly as Australia"

A; "no WAY dude, that's just a small island country"

jf; "howabout Canada, way bigger than the US"

A; "are you out of your MIND limey, gahdamn, Alaska is bigger than Canada"

JF; "just as well Russia was so far away"

A; "or else we woulda flown over there and kicked AAASSS of those darn commie reds"

JF; "why not swim over mate, only 50 miles from the US"

A; "whaaat, geddaaadahere bucko, you limeys know SHIT about the World, USSR is past Africa and China, nowhere NEAR the US of A"

JF; "yeah, right mate, I'm so used to just walking over the English border to France, I FORGOT how well you knew the World"

A; "too right there, and just as well we gave you guys the English language, or you'd still be speaking Dutch or whatever it was"

JF; "thanks mister, you sure put me on the right track again there"

A; "damn straight, the US are educating the WORLD, and George W Bush is leading the way" :unclesam:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
According to official figures 82% of Americans dont own a passport.

Also 45% of American men would like to try anal sex.

So when a Yank comes home from work and says to his wife,

''Honey I want to go somewhere I`ve never been before''

You can bet your life he isn`t talking about world travel.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
According to official figures 82% of Americans dont own a passport.

Also 45% of American men would like to try anal sex.

So when a Yank comes home from work and says to his wife,

''Honey I want to go somewhere I`ve never been before''

You can bet your life he isn`t talking about world travel.
I've seen Stephen Grant too...

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Doesn't matter really how you work the medal tables, as the yanks have a very smug habbit of putting other nations down [especially if they are not represented in a particular event] by mentioning that they are a "product" of this or that American university. In other words, they would be nothing if we haden't trained em up.

Ah well yes, some do but believe me I have seen the insular attitude of Americans first hand too many times.

I've seen it first hand too-living in Canada as long as I did. If NSC is representative of the UK population then it is a hell of a lot more than 'some'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've seen it first hand too-living in Canada as long as I did. If NSC is representative of the UK population then it is a hell of a lot more than 'some'.

Agreed, I don't hate Americans but I do find their views very narrow at times. The thing is despite the fact that they have the best communications facilities of any country in the world few of them are inclined to travel too far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here