:) Thats why I got a ped.:jester:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good train service in Seaford. As long as you want to go westerly. :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
chez said:
You think so? Brighton & Hove buses are cheaper now than they were 12 years ago. Thats a bloody good deal if you ask me.

is it? it isnt cheaper than 5 years ago!!!

I just dont understand how kids with their bus id/+'s can get on the bus for 40p a journey - surely if they werent making money in this they'd hike the price up more than that?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bhaexpress said:
And while your at it be thankful that you have any sort of public transport. Most of 'The World's Greatest Country' [sic] has nothing at all.
Bit of a generalisation there. It may be largely accurate but Seattle has a brilliant bus service. And what's more in the city center it's FREE, you can get on and off as many busses as you like all day long and you don't pay a cent. They only charge for journeys outside the city center, if you're coming into the city from the outskirts you pay when you get on and when you're going home you pay when you get off. A flat fee of about a dollar.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brovian said:
Bit of a generalisation there. It may be largely accurate but Seattle has a brilliant bus service. And what's more in the city center it's FREE, you can get on and off as many busses as you like all day long and you don't pay a cent. They only charge for journeys outside the city center, if you're coming into the city from the outskirts you pay when you get on and when you're going home you pay when you get off. A flat fee of about a dollar.

So have most of the big cities I agree but America is a very large country and I can tell you from personal experience that outside of the cities there's no public transport to the 'smaller' towns let alone the rural areas.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I agree with BAG. I'd like to know if there is any city bus company in the country that charges more than £1.40 for a single journey.

Sure, it pretty good value if you get a saver, but when I was at uni in 1999 it was 70p a journey. Doubling the price in 6 years!!!!!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Hatterlovesbrighton said:

Sure, it pretty good value if you get a saver, but when I was at uni in 1999 it was 70p a journey. Doubling the price in 6 years!!!!!

And how much have fuel prices gone up in that time? Quite substantially. And this will be one of, if not the, biggest cost to the company. Besides chavs setting fire to the seats obviously.
At the end of the day for a supposedly expensive £1.40 single ticket you can do a journey that could easily cost you a tenner in a taxi or £4 on the train.
Personally I think they run a remarkably good, value for money service.

Last edited:

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Its good value if you if you live out of Brighton e.g. Shoreham and now Lewes too. But £1.40 a journey is it a bit much in the centre of town. Why should a journey from Hove to Brighton be the same price as from Shoreham or Lewes to Brighton.

Don't get me wrong the service is really good and I use it alot, I just don't understand the logic of the flat pricing. People living in town subsidising those who live out of town.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agreed. They're only good value for some. I live about twenty minutes walk from the station - next to no time on the bus.

It was 80p about 2 and a half years ago, which was good value - but now at £1.40 a pop is way over-priced.

Ok - I could walk, but often I'm travelling very early or very late at night and carrying a pretty heavy bag.

If they truly want the buses as a viable alternative to other transport, they need to be cheap. If they could subsidise them with some of the millions they make from trapping motorists whose pay and display tickets are three minutes out of date, that would be a good start!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
trueblue said:
Agreed. They're only good value for some. I live about twenty minutes walk from the station - next to no time on the bus.

It was 80p about 2 and a half years ago, which was good value - but now at £1.40 a pop is way over-priced.

Ok - I could walk, but often I'm travelling very early or very late at night and carrying a pretty heavy bag.

If they truly want the buses as a viable alternative to other transport, they need to be cheap. If they could subsidise them with some of the millions they make from trapping motorists whose pay and display tickets are three minutes out of date, that would be a good start!
Agreed, which is why the Seattle system is so good. If Brighton did it then as someone who lives in the city centre you'd travel for free! (So long as it was only for in-city journeys).

The big differnece though is the buses in Seattle are run by the city for the city. Never forget that Brighton Buses, Stagecoach etc are private companies. Their job isn't to provide a bus service for Brighton - it's to make a profit for their shareholders. Running buses is just their way of doing it and they'll price the tiskets at whatever price they can get away with. Brighton Council with their violently anti-car policies play into their hands.

Nationalise all transportation now!

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
www.megabus.com

I challenge anyone to find a cheaper bus. My sister just booked one to go from Bristol to London Victoria, so as she could get back for the palace game, the price: 50 PENCE, 50 FUCKIN PENCE, you can't buy ANYTHING for 50 PENCE these days, it crazy.

I use the above company quite a bit and it is fine, I regularly get a RETURN ticket from Brighton to Leicester for £4.50. You couldn't get very far on a train for £4.50.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was well surprised by the buses in Seattle, seems to work brilliantly, hardly any cars about.

Well done Seattle, well done.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
the full harris said:
www.megabus.com

I challenge anyone to find a cheaper bus. My sister just booked one to go from Bristol to London Victoria, so as she could get back for the palace game, the price: 50 PENCE, 50 FUCKIN PENCE, you can't buy ANYTHING for 50 PENCE these days, it crazy.

I use the above company quite a bit and it is fine, I regularly get a RETURN ticket from Brighton to Leicester for £4.50. You couldn't get very far on a train for £4.50.

They're offering seats from London to Brighton on Monday for free!

E

enigma

When I lived near Henfield it cost me a fiver return to Brighton. Thats a lot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here