Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chavs- Sky one

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Did anyone else see this last night? 11 o clock sky one, some working class woman claiming she was proud to be a 'chav' (although in my eyes i wouldnt have labelled her as one) trying to defend the chav culture currently sweeping britain- saying the middle classes who ridicule this culture are just insecure about their own lives and jealous about working classes and the way they have stronger family ties, like to have more fun etc.

It was complete bollocks- she seemed to think that the middle classes labelled the whole working class society as 'chav'!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
arr mate, i saw that programme to and it was savage blud innit.

I didn't see the programme but guess that you are talking about the Julie Birchull one. In which she did try and defend the indefensible.

The 'chav' is probably the most ugly fashion ever. Bar none.

In fact I am not gonna say anymore cos just thining about them makes me bloody seethe!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Didn't see the programme but my understanding is that a lot of chavs are part of the "non-working class" who wouldn't know a decent days work if it ran up and bit them on their arse. Tommy Cook is right about the fashion being the most ugly, it is that amazing combination of JJB sports clothing, 9ct Gold jewellery and a Croydon facelift on girls that is so attractive.

If it is a fashion then it is a poor one, if you look back at least modettes, punk girls and even goths were actually representing something and looked good in their own way, what are chav girls trying to say, I might just be past it but I don't understand.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Julie Burchill's an idiot.

Her argument seemed to be based around the suggestion that middle class people are jealous of the working classes, and the fun they are having. She didn't define "fun" for us, disappointingly.

What she completely ignored is that once you get past the scabby clothing and all that, the TRUE reason people hate chavs is that they hang around smoking scabby fags and intimidating old people. How can you defend that?

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Thats what i mean- in my eyes 'chavs'- and i f***ing hate that word anyway- are those that haven't done a days work in their life and scrounge off the government, or those kids that loiter on the streets looking for fights, intimidating people etc, without any respect for anyone bar their mates etc.. Julie Burchill (did not no her name) implied that the entire middle class referred to the entire working class as being 'chav' and was therefore trying to defend the entire working class population by claiming middle classes are simply jealous of them.

Made me seeth when i was watching it! :angry:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It wouldn't be so bad but the girl hosting it was trying to justify herself too much... she reeked of sour grapes

stoke

Jan 14, 2005
What I can't understand is that they appear totally unaware of the rest of society laughing at them!

Chav fasion is a satement that says "I'm a stupid twat with no taste and not a single original thought in my head."

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody knows what the f***ing word means anyway. It's a f***ing diversion for the nation that makes people feel better about themselves, in that respect the woman was kinda right (even if she is a dickhead).

Can anybody actually explain what it means?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Its nothing of the sort D'angelo.

A CHAV is the term that Traveller folk (or pikies) have always used to label their children.

In Eastbourne and especially Hailsham it has been a well used term since my early school days, probably due to the amount of settled travellers and gypsies in Hailsham.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
In Britain there are many words to describe people from this social group, and they are often limited to a particular town or region. Other words with a similar meaning to chav are townie, scally, ned and charver. The word chav has become common in southern England, and is generally thought to come from Chatham girls (Chatham is a town in Kent.) Some people think, however, that the word comes originally from the Romany word chavo (boy), which is also the origin of the Spanish word chaval.

Taken from Oxford dictionary website...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Chavs are in fact NEETs, which stands for No Employment, Educashum and Training.

They reperesent the underclass who get pregnant at 15 and live off state benefits until their premature death. The males are feckless, workshy and have a dispropionate chance of crime, drug abuse and being Palace fans.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The programme made for interesting viewing but Julie Burchill was awful, and her arguments weak, childish and misguided.

Plainly, she is NOT a chav. To me this is not a class issue so much as a fashion issue.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Pavilionaire said:
The programme made for interesting viewing but Julie Burchill was awful, and her arguments weak, childish and misguided.

Plainly, she is NOT a chav. To me this is not a class issue so much as a fashion issue.

I'd say it's more of a lifestyle issue. As well as the clothing a true chav needs to spend evenings doing chavvy stuff such as hanging around outsid a co-op late (or similar) shop with a pack of fellow chavs.

Something else that I'm curious about is whether or not a chav would be offended if you called them a chav. Are they proud of the fact that they're ridiculed by much of society or do they not realise it and think that they look really cool by wearing trackies and burberry?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here