Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hard K all day long with no debate required

More contentious is ' schedule '. Should it be ' shed-ule' or ' sked-ule'? Personally I prefer the first option.

One of those words that are pronounced in different ways depending on if you are speaking US English or UK English... making it difficult to us foreigners as we have to decide which empire to support.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Much better poll IMHO would be how to pronounce 'Ibiza'. Especially amongst those who feel the need to display their linguistic ignorance through the medium of popular song :lol:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
One of those words that are pronounced in different ways depending on if you are speaking US English or UK English... making it difficult to us foreigners as we have to decide which empire to support.

There's a clue in there somewhere...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The entomology is Greek, khasma through Latin chasma meaning a gulf or a steep sided wide valley. It's related to 'chaos'...so that just about settles it....no?

It's no way to settle the question posed by the OP though is it?

He/she simply asked everyone how they pronounce it, rather than which way is correct.

(You're right though of course, so I'll stop being pedantic :))

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Much better poll IMHO would be how to pronounce 'Ibiza'. Especially amongst those who feel the need to display their linguistic ignorance through the medium of popular song :lol:

I'm old enough to have seen it go from ee-beesa to Eye-Beetha, to ee-Beetha and back to ee-beesa just in the time I've been going there (although it's different if you're from mainland spain and have a lisp) :rolleyes:

And, more locally Chat-tree or Shar-tree ???

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm old enough to have seen it go from Ibeesa to Eye-Beetha, to ee-Beetha and back to Ibeesa in the time I've been going there :rolleyes:

And, more locally Chat-tree or Shar-tree ???

Boadicia to Boudica and Airon to Arun (Aaron) are two others that I can’t get my head around. It’s Boudicia and Airon to me as it was in my youth

Oh and Ralph to Raiff (pronounciation) is another one

Oh and Eivissa or Ibeetha. I have lived there so I can tell you I am 100% correct and I have plenty of Ibicenco born and bred friends :smile:

https://youtu.be/Odk5c8Cn4d0

https://youtu.be/v_ArBxfbrnU

Last edited:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Who the hell says ch-asm?

I think our very own CEO said it like this mid week on Talk Sport on more than one occasion when talking to Simon Jordan and Jim White about big picture. I can't find a recording to check though.

A few points of interest here:

Simon Jordan vs Paul Barber is like a battle of Just a Minute. Neither wants to stop talking in case they don't get another chance to talk again.

Its kasm of course although some people from a Spanish background do incorrectly pronounce as ch-asm apparently.

Do people in senior positions get corrected on their pronunciation or are those surrounding them too in awe to correct? Another common one is pro-ject instead of project and advertisement has already been mentioned in this thread. I am assuming of course that all my pronunciation is correct.

Anyway, Paul if you are reading, its kasm not ch-asm. Good job on everything else though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I find its the Yanks who are to blame for hijacking the English languague.

I work in IT and nash my teeth when I hear "pro-ject" for "proj-ekt" and "darter" for "day-ter"

Then there are the words with "i" on the end like a semi-circle that they pronounce sem-eye that should be semmy

Oh what a mess !!

Edit: It's Kazm and no debate [unless you're a chunt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I find its the Yanks who are to blame for hijacking the English languague.

I work in IT and nash my teeth when I hear "pro-ject" for "proj-ekt" and "darter" for "day-ter"

Then there are the words with "i" on the end like a semi-circle that they pronounce sem-eye that should be semmy

Oh what a mess !!

Edit: It's Kazm and no debate [unless you're a chunt.

Took me a few seconds before I understood what a Rowter was when talking to an English telephone engineer a few years ago. He was talking about my router. Coming from an American I get but what Englishmen says rowter instead of router?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here