Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton - Mid/Late 70s

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I remember going to Charlton away sometime in the Mid/late 70s. Evening game. I think we lost 4-3 but memory is vague.

That was when there was a HUGE terrace on one side of the ground.

Can someone remind me of the score/scorers and the crowd. I must have been about 15/16 and it was one of my first evening away games.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I remember going to Charlton away sometime in the Mid/late 70s. Evening game. I think we lost 4-3 but memory is vague.

Can someone remind me of the score/scorers and the crowd. I must have been about 15/16 and it was one of my first evening away games.

Think Ward and Nobby were amongst our scorers. Think winger called Powell got a hat trick. About 18,OOO.

We were top at the time.

Good fight outisde.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
that was in october 1977, we were unbeaten until that game, not sure if we were top but we were defineatley thereabouts.it was also my first away game & tomorrow will be my youngests first away game.

the goalscorers for us were Ward 2 & Winstanley . the crowd was 18998

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
that was in october 1977, we were unbeaten until that game, not sure if we were top but we were defineatley thereabouts.it was also my first away game & tomorrow will be my youngests first away game.

the goalscorers for us were Ward 2 & Winstanley . the crowd was 18998

We were top. It was the second game since I was away at uni and the first game I missed that season - we'd beaten Sunderland on the Saturday to go top

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Found a few more details.

We did lose 4-3 - game was in the 'old' division 2 played 4.10.77.

Will look up scorers and crowd in Rothmans when I get home.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We were top. It was the second game since I was away at uni and the first game I missed that season - we'd beaten Sunderland on the Saturday to go top

I had been to Sunderland on the Saturday.

We won 2-0.

We got there late (Seagull Special) went into the wrong section of the ground, and I got hit a few times after we scored!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Was this one when there was a penalty to us - and the keeper was twanging the cross bar. I thought it was Binney who put the ball on the spot, turned took a pace and a half back, turned suddenly to catch the keeper unawares - then chipped it into his arms.

I may well be mistaken though.

And it was a massive terrace. A great night.

And also went to Sunderland. Good result but the locals did not like us celebrating in the home end ...........

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Yep. Me & a mate skipped school & spent the day in London. Remember the Players turning up really late, on the train & was there not a penalty retaken a couple of times?
I think their keeper kept swinging on the bar to try & put wardy off.

edit. bit late

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I was there, great game. Actually the Valley was once the biggest ground in the league, held over 70,000.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

We won 2-0.

We got there late (Seagull Special) went into the wrong section of the ground, and I got hit a few times after we scored!

Was there too, I remember we had injuries but we still won. Quite a few Sunderland fans complimented us after the game.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yep. Me & a mate skipped school & spent the day in London. Remember the Players turning up really late, on the train & was there not a penalty retaken a couple of times?
I think their keeper kept swinging on the bar to try & put wardy off.

edit. bit late

Yes - would have been Ward. And it was re-taken a couple of times.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

We won 2-0.

So did I. The away end was very sparsely attended, no wonder if you were all in the home end.

I remember I got bought a drink by a Magpies supporter in a pub in Newcastle while waiting for my train back. "You deserve a pint for beating the Mackems" and there was a pint heading my way.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
So did I. The away end was very sparsely attended, no wonder if you were all in the home end.

We were in the other end from the Roker End - but with the home supporters. It was a nightmare. One of those when a 1-0 up you wouldn't mind the home team equalising. And then we got the second .......................

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I was there, great game. Actually the Valley was once the biggest ground in the league, held over 70,000.

Although several grounds had higher maximum attendances than The Valley the Rothmans of 74-75 confirms that Charlton had the maximum capacity of any Football League ground at that time and gives the capacity at 66,000. I have been in larger crowds at Stamford Bridge when they still had their massive terrace, which was lost when the first West Stand was built in the mid 60s.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went to that match and there was no "away end" as such because compulsory segregation had not yet come in. And yes, I got jostled quite badly after both (of Wardy's?) goals.

I was in a stand that held a couple of thousand with about 30 or 40 Brighton fans and no Sunderland so it looked like an away end. While it's true that segregation wasn't legally complulsory, even in the 70s, away fans did tend to gather at one end.

I don't think Wardy scored in that Sunderland game - I think it was Towner and Piper but I'm not 100% sure

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This talk about compulsory segregation - I presume people just didn't go to places like Millwall back then? Or did they simply have away ends well before their time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here