Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton - free travel

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Charlton dont have the best away support in the country, but I see they have managed to sell all 5,250 tickets for tonights match at Middlesbrough.

They have "operation riverside" which is providing free coach travel, plus 2 free charter trains, plus 3 subsidised flights to tonights match.

I wonder how much this is costing them, i guess if they win and get to the semi-final then they will recover the money!

Mr Blobby

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think they are very astute and stick to a wage budget, which means that they probably do fairly well and will be able to do this sort of thing. Plus as you say, it will be recouped, if they progress.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Yeah, but c'mon, it would have to take a free travel offer to persuade anyone to go to Middlesborough, wouldn't it ?

Actually, looking at the away support for other teams, maybe not......

Speaks volumes for the so called ' dedicated ' Charlton fan I guess.

Jul 20, 2003
Weren't Charlton offering free return travel from/ to Eastbourne for home games?

cheeky feckers

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
The flights cost £50 as my mates going on one, and they have 40 coaches going up!

How many did Nuneaton take there? it was around 5,000 and that is the record away attendance. Will it be beaten?

A west ham v charlton semi would be good, and one of them will be in europe.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
pevenseagull said:
Weren't Charlton offering free return travel from/ to Eastbourne for home games?

cheeky feckers

£5.00 return from hastings

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The chairman was on Radio 5 and said its costing £140,000, but if they get into Europe it will have been well worth it.

Also, they get loads of publicity etc. I think they are an excellently run club.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
34064 Fighter Command said:
Oh dear, never mind Mr. Chairman.

Actually :lolol: , serves 'em right for subverting our fan-base.

Not really alls fair in love and war.

If Brighton cant be arsed to try and attract new fans from that area doesnt mean other clubs should not.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Didn't we do free buses, with a red and white scarf thrown in, to the Peterborough (snowy) cup tie a few years back?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
They made the money back no worries as 1. It was on TV and 2. FA Cup = 50% gate reciepts. They would have made about 250k just on gate reciepts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here