Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton facing admin

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A few of my Charlton supporting friends kept saying it will be inevitable if they did not go up. Many blame Pardew for making a mess of it all, big wages on players that did not perform and a legacy of players on big wages they could not shift. Did they not get relegated the season before it all went big money for just being in the premership.The training grounds have been left in a state disrepair and the womens team was disbanded I believe.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Cheers for the clarification chaps. I bet they'll manage to sort something out - although it's hardly surprising that they're in the smeg if their grubby Premiershite lucre has evaporated.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Racon......

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
They were a seemingly prudent club with a very wealthy 'backer' (Trevor Hemmings)

Don't recall Hemmings ever being involved in Charlton - most of his investments have been northern based. Certainly won't be involved now as he has a 28% stake in PNE.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Serves them right for offering £50k for John Robinson when they sold Rob Lee for £5m the week before.

We was in the shit and they also knew tribunals at the time favoured buying clubs. Final price
£75k for a player we nurtured from youth. Nowadays it would have been a £1m easy like Gareth Barry.

So f*** them. Lets get all their players on the cheap and start doing what they did to us years ago when WE needed the money.

What goes around comes around :clap2:

Last edited:

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
2 things

I have heard nothing about Admin-that is not to say that it will not happen-but it is not a message that is around our message boards:

Secondly could Meola's loan spell please get facts right: Robert Lee went to Newcastle for under a millionas I recall-Robinson was unproven at the time and was not ready initially to play for us. It took a number of seasons for him to establish himself.

We have always had a good rapport as was recognised at Withdean when our supporters were thanked for their support for Falmer etc. Additionally we were very present at the 'Fans United' day. we have lot in common.....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Don't recall Hemmings ever being involved in Charlton - most of his investments have been northern based. Certainly won't be involved now as he has a 28% stake in PNE.

I live in Charlton and I was reliably informed that he used to be a benefactor of the club. It seems that he had a minimal investment in 2003 and perhaps didn't expand on that. My bad. Never trust a SE Londoner!

Overall money men involved in the game (continued on the next page)*

1. Roman Abramovich, Chelsea - £10.8bn
2. Joe Lewis Tottenham, Hotspur - £2.1bn
3. Dermot Desmond Glasgow, Celtic - £1.25bn
4. Malcolm Glazer, Man Utd - £1.05bn
5. Trevor Hemmings, Charlton and Preston NE - £900m
6. Sir Alan Sugar, Tottenham Hotspur - £790m
7. Randy Lerner, Aston Villa - £789m
8. David Murray Glasgow Rangers - £650m
9. Simon Keswick Cheltenham Town - £644m
10. David Sullivan Birmingham City - £595m

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Good Club Charlton. There is a lot to admire. Black marks - posters on Hove Station - famously disfigured by the then legendary poster (Sompting Gull), amongst the attempts to move in on Albion heartlands.

And always to be associated with the term "take us to the next level". As in we need to replace Curbishley as we need a manager to -insert here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if the fans who abused Curbishley and made him walk feel that maybe they should have continued supporting him in retrospect? Charlton remind me of West Ham, always think they should be higher than they are and end up driving good managers out. Shame as I thought Charlton seemed to be a well run club.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Are you thick ?

Ever heard of the emperors new clothes? because lots of people think Racon is class doesn't mean he is.Despite people on here drooling over him he never did anything to suggest he was worth signing & I know several Charlton fans that reckon he's no better than a bench warmer. as i've already said he is, in fact, shit

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if the fans who abused Curbishley and made him walk feel that maybe they should have continued supporting him in retrospect? Charlton remind me of West Ham, always think they should be higher than they are and end up driving good managers out. Shame as I thought Charlton seemed to be a well run club.

It's not always easy though, recognising AT THE TIME that this is the best you will be, you won't get much higher, and therefore you should really try and enjoy it rather than just moaning all the time that it's not even better. Loads of fans fail this test.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Ever heard of the emperors new clothes? because lots of people think Racon is class doesn't mean he is.Despite people on here drooling over him he never did anything to suggest he was worth signing & I know several Charlton fans that reckon he's no better than a bench warmer. as i've already said he is, in fact, shit

Surely the point of the Emporer's New Clothes is that 'lots of people' could see the reality of the situation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not always easy though, recognising AT THE TIME that this is the best you will be, you won't get much higher, and therefore you should really try and enjoy it rather than just moaning all the time that it's not even better. Loads of fans fail this test.

Mike Bailey being the Albion one so many wanted out after we finished 13th in the top division :lolol:

I'm not sure the bloke ever worked at a League Club again, I always felt he was a bit hard done by but Albion fans are a fickle bunch who DEMAND to be entertained if they are to keep coming back for more.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They were a seemingly prudent club with a very wealthy 'backer' (Trevor Hemmings), but presumably the backing has dried up and they are suffering from being outside the premier league and parachute payments have dried up.

I think we are going to see a lot more clubs going into admin next year. You might only need 40 points to stay up in the football league.
Making our decision to wait to see who is available for transfer even more prudent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here