Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton away attendance last night was, frankly, pathetic

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
To me it says Southampton are chasing promotion whilst Charlton's season has long been over.

Which, curiously, is the situation.

Yep, attendances are bound to be higher when you're chasing promotion - no doubt about it.

But a full 9 times higher? If we were stuck in mid table, you think our away attendances would be 1/9th (11%) of what they are now? Not a chance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No excuses. That is SHIT. I was listening on Charlton's player and the commentators were paraising the ammount of fans - couldn't believe it. Yep I agree we'd have taken 3 or 4 times that in their position too - not saying we're amazing or anything but just making a point of how shit that turn out was. A Spurs mate of mine who knows his stuff said Charltononce took 90 something to FULHAM! I think that was in the Prem Lg too. They just don't seem to travel!

Charlton were in the prem not so long ago too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Visiting St Fairies is probably less of a novelty for Charlton fans, unlike a lot of our fans who still piss themselves with excitement about going there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seven points with just six to play, 3 places adrift with all their competitors a game in hand. I'd say that was pretty much over ...

That's not that dissimilar to our lead over SCC yet there have been plenty of threads in the last few days saying that it's not over and Saints can still catch us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Visiting St Fairies is probably less of a novelty for Charlton fans, unlike a lot of our fans who still piss themselves with excitement about going there.
:lolol: :vuvu2:

When Bournemouth were playing Burton last season and got promoted, apparently they were singing "que sera sera... we're going to St Marys"

It doesn't get more small time than that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not sure why it matters but Charlton have never had a good away following compared to their home attendances.

Remember when they were in the Prem and we were in the bottom division coming back from some outpost (Scunny I think?). They had some fans on the train boasting they had take 500 to Blackburn.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure why it matters but Charlton have never had a good away following compared to their home attendances.

Remember when they were in the Prem and we were in the bottom division coming back from some outpost (Scunny I think?). They had some fans on the train boasting they had take 500 to Blackburn.

Indeed. They're very much a family/community club and as such most fans only go to home games. Attending an away game, especially midweek, it just not on their radar unless it really is a big occasion - it's something they just don't do.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It's not just in terms of away turnout that there was very little interest in the game (knew it would be low when the club cancelled the coach they were planning to run to St Marys from Eastbourne/Brighton/Worthing "due to lack of demand"). Bloke who runs the main Charlton message board reckons it was lowest number of people viewing the match thread online of any league game in the 6 or 7 years the site's been running.

Lots of factors could be taken into account - our season is over, we expected to get thrashed, loads of extra games in March/April due to the winter cancellations, recession, Champions League, global warming, la-di-da-di-da - but the simple fact is we have never had much of an away following. As a mid-table Premier League, we often only took 400 or so to places like Bolton for Saturday 3pm games. I guess the St Mary's 342 are the extent of our hardcore away following - those who haven't missed a game in X amount of years, etc.

Home attendance is holding up better than I expected given how dreadful the football has been, and we look likely to still have a five figure season ticket base next season, so *shrugs*

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Saints took 3,098 fans in the opposite direction to the reverse fixture at The Valley only a fortnight ago. I think that says it all...
.... and we took 3394 to the Valley,....... didnt we,..... lol

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Home attendance is holding up better than I expected given how dreadful the football has been, and we look likely to still have a five figure season ticket base next season, so *shrugs*
That's a fairly impressive figure, although it does make me wonder how much they're charging.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Their away support has always been terrible. I remember our first game against them in 6 years at Selhurst, in the Prem.

Considering how much they hate us, they brought just over 1,000. Some of their fans said they wouldn't go because of ticket prices.

At home, they have excellent numbers but away from home that club is and always will be an embarassment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Their away support has always been terrible. I remember our first game against them in 6 years at Selhurst, in the Prem.

Considering how much they hate us, they brought just over 1,000. Some of their fans said they wouldn't go because of ticket prices.

At home, they have excellent numbers but away from home that club is and always will be an embarassment.
...oh the irony.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I didnt realise that historicaly Charltons support was so poor away from home.

You live and learn.

...oh the irony.

Yes, how the irony!

On both times Charlton brought down more supporters to Withdean on night games than palarse brought on a Sunday afternoon - 861 [09/10] & 827 [10/11] to palarse's 705!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Following a poor run and little chance now of promotion plus almost a certain defeat there must be many better options than travelling to Southampton.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Why oh why do we need this look at us, look at them attitude regarding away attendances ?
Just ENJOY the ride we are on at the moment for all its worth
How many of these JCL s do you expect to renew if it all goes wrong next year ?
DONT forget where we have come from NOT so long ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here