Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton away attendance last night was, frankly, pathetic

450 away fans at St Mary's according to a Saints supporting friend of mine. Considering the proximity, the attractiveness of the fixture and Charlton supposedly one of the bigger clubs in this league that's a bit of a noddy turnout. Where's all these masses of die-hard Charlton fans from Sussex that the Addicks bus to and from the Valley?

I won't hear any nonsense about midweek game, Charlton's position in the league or any of that rubbish. We would have taken probably 3 or 4 times that if we were in exactly the same position as Charlton. At least.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Saints took 3,098 fans in the opposite direction to the reverse fixture at The Valley only a fortnight ago. I think that says it all...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember going to watch the Albion play Charlton at Selhurst, when they ground shared there, and they didn't have many more than us there on the day.

Like all clubs fans will drift away if they continue their downward spiral. You have to remember it's not that long ago they were competing and often beating the best in the land..and they then decided they should be better and started booing Curbishley when they weren't top 6 in the country. Not vaguely suprised that their fans have now lost interest in away games this season.

I've a Charlton supporting mate whose a steward at St Marys, and his take on it was that "Taking only 392 fans to a ground like Southampton's shows how our season has gone!!!"

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm guessing some of their fans, like some of their players who have been told they won't be retained, have given up on this season.
Meant to be spending big in the summer.

Fans will drift away? This is their first season in Lge 1. We've been in this position for what seems like an eternity and yet we manage to take 342 up to Carlisle and Hartlepool on wet Tuesdays in November.

I think this goes to show once and for all that this alleged hotbed of support for Charlton in Sussex (the excuse Charlton used for running buses from here) does not exist. And good riddance to those buses too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Saints took 3,098 fans in the opposite direction to the reverse fixture at The Valley only a fortnight ago. I think that says it all...

To me it says Southampton are chasing promotion whilst Charlton's season has long been over.

Which, curiously, is the situation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not sure why you'd expect a fairly small London club to take many to a game:

70 miles away, in Southampton
on a Champions League evening
with absolutely nothing to play for
when they were clearly expected to lose

Threads complaining about crap support should surely be confined to teams *with* something to play for. Orient last night, for example, might reasonably have expected 5,000 home fans to support their team in what is play-off push. Instead, they got 2,806 home fans through the gate (Plymouth brought the rest in a feeble gate of 3,255).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To me it says Southampton are chasing promotion whilst Charlton's season has long been over.

Which, curiously, is the situation.

If they had won last night they'd have been on 56 points - three places and 7 points outside the playoffs, with 6 games left. Not brilliantly placed, but not 'over' either.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If they had won last night they'd have been on 56 points - three places and 7 points outside the playoffs, with 6 games left. Not brilliantly placed, but not 'over' either.
Seven points with just six to play, 3 places adrift with all their competitors a game in hand. I'd say that was pretty much over, and even then it relied on them winning at the second best team in the league.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Threads complaining about crap support should surely be confined to teams *with* something to play for. Orient last night, for example, might reasonably have expected 5,000 home fans to support their team in what is play-off push. Instead, they got 2,806 home fans through the gate (Plymouth brought the rest in a feeble gate of 3,255).

That really is shit.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not too much of a glamour game for Charlton fans travelling to St Marys to watch playoff hopefuls v the Addicts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here