Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton 7-0/ 7/1????

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Yes, remeber that,... we had to stand in the East as the North was closed,... roof replacement I think,.... the Charlton were not very pleased,... it got a little feisty in the narrow road round the back of the East after the game,..... great result though.

Remember that but not as much as the great Keiran O'regan right win run for one of Jimmy's thunderbolts!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The week after, we went to Grimsby and lost 5-0! Typical Albion. I foolishly spent plenty of my student grant training it across from Coventry. Bumped into another student Albion fan on Sheffield station, and still see him at games (in fact chatted to him after the game yesterday). Communication was tougher pre-internet but the Albion were still a social force!
PG

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Great memories. I remember Terry Connor bowing in front of the West Stand as he left the pitch at the end of the 7 - 0 game. It was one of the first games that we really saw the best of him. And in the 3 - 5 didn't we have Keown playing up front for us as an emergency centre forward?

D

Deleted User X18H

October 1st 1983. Terry Connor bowed to the West Stand at full time.

7-0. Beat Bristol Rovers 4-2- 3 days later

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I remember that game...Charlton came down here unbeaten and top of the league....and we stuffed 'em big time.I remember Terry Connor having a good game.

D

Deleted User X18H

Melia wasn't still manager at that time was he??

Yep I pretty sure he left mid October.

He was manager for about forty days short of a year. He took over in December 1982.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's funny how there's certain opposition who you just know will be a 'good game' and we've had many with Charlton, win lose or draw. hard to remember a dour game with them.

On that hot day when we beat them 7-0 they were, indeed, top of the league and unbeaten. Albion were just finding their feet after relegation and the Cup final loss but this game, and the Bristol rovers midweek win a few days later, saw us playing some fantastic attacking football.

But things were going wrong backstage and, Cattlin was about to take over from Melia. I'm not sure who picked the team/tactics for the Charlton & Rovers games or who did it for the Grimsby debacle but Melia was sacked and appeared in the north Stand for the next home game v Sheffield Weds.

Mad days!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was there - Charlton were unbeaten at that time when they came down to us (mid October ?) and we thrashed them
I remember Joe Corrigan being completely unemployed,sitting down on the grass resting and watching the game leaning against the left hand goalpost and turning round chatting to people in the south stand.
Great stuff

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Was there with an Irish chap, friend of a friend, who'd never been to anything that wasn't GAA before. He seemed to assume that it was quite normal for a team to be 5-0 up at half-time and win 7-0.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
For some reason a Charlton fan offered us tickets for the West stand really cheaply as he wanted to stand with his mates. We sat amongst the Charlton seated fans and it was great. We were students then and couldn't turn down the deal we were offered!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I remember it clearly. Watched it from the West terrace (south half), and that first half as we pummelled 5 goals into the North goal (5-0 after 35 minutes is my recollection) was just unbelievable.

Case then spanked in the 2 second half goals for his hat-trick.

Superb. Charlton fans were a little bit grumpy at Hove station afterwards.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I went to about 15 or 16 games that season. This is one of the games I missed. We were off to see my Granny and Grandpa. Grandpa was a Charlton fan and we got to his house just as the half time scores were showing on BBC1. :lolol:

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
the Charlton were not very pleased,... it got a little feisty in the narrow road round the back of the East after the game,.....

Me and my mate were speculating that we might be the top story on Sports Report (think he might even have been doing the music) when about 30 of them charged down Goldstone lane - we hid in someone's garden until the nasty men had gone :eek:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Went to the 3-5 home game. Great game which we were very unlucky to lose! Does anyone remember the 2-2 the following season at Selhurst Park?

I remember some irate Addick steaming onto the pitch when Charlton had a goal disallowed. It was an indirect free kick which flicked Digweeds gloves on it's way in, but the ref disallowed it because he thought it hadn't touched another player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here