Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Shops - some sad facts

I have been charity-shop shopping a lot lately, after moving back to the UK - and it has helped furnish my flat with curtains, rugs, blankets, picture frames, candles, and other stuff. All quite handy really.

While doing this shopping, I've been casually looking for collectibles and more valuable artifacts - especially vinyl records.
However, they only ever seemed to have James Last, Harry Secombe, Max Bygraves and top-of-the-pops crap that never sells.

A little bit of investigation, and some candid confessions from a couple of volunteers in different shops (who probably shouldn't normally have told me) I found out that the store managers have first dibs on donated items, and they may never be sold in the shop, or even make any money for the charity!
On top of that, they have 'pricers' come in to evaluate records and some antique items, and THEY are given first pick...at very low prices (obviously they know that they are getting absolute bargain stuff for pennies). Those 'pricers' are usually dealers, or eBay sellers that then profit from the private sales, that only they profit from!

The donated valuables NEVER see the front of the shop, are often sequestered away without the actual charity never seeing a penny, and a few dodgy money-grabbing 'volunteers' are revelling in the kindly donations from unsuspecting people who will never check to make sure their generous donations of valuables got properly sold!

The managers of shops ARE paid, they hire several oldies who are free volunteers, the shops themselves are rent-free or very cheap (the owners can also claim it against their taxes if they have a charity shop lessee).

In their favour, they do sell some odd clothes and non-investment-grade tat which can be re-used, and thus they do get (and show) some income.

I don't know what NSC think here, but to me it appears that there are some dodgy people creaming a lot off of people's honest heartfelt kindness in donation, using a charity shop as a 'front' - and even they see it as doing nothing wrong, all quite part and parcel of running a shop!

There are a few charities that actively go out and do good things, of course, and the money made from 'tat' does go to a good cause - but when do you ever see anything of collectible/art/antique value on display in the front of the shop?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Sad but true.

You never find those old vinyl gems you used to in charity shops.

It's the eBay generation

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Unfortunately this is true.

You will never again be able to go to a charity shop and pick up say an origan gate sleeve Hotel California for £1.00 (as I once did) because the "pro's" have got in there.

Wouldn't be so bad if the really expensive items were sold on E-Bay for their real worth and the entire sum then given to the charity, that would be fair enough, but I suspect that they either donate nothing or a fraction of the money this generates in real life.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I regularly donate to charity shops and usually give them decent stuff. Hopefully this is not a broad church and maybe just limited to certain areas/stores?

Sad if true across the board. I'll have to start looking to see if any of the stuff I give actually gets on display.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Is it just records, or all items?

I quite often go to the charity shops in the REALLY posh areas of London for clothes. Have bought a couple of Jermyn Street shirts -- in almost perfect nick -- for about 15 quid each!

And my local Oxfam book shop is always full of really good stuff.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I think it's more records and antiquities than clothes.

Clothes don't generally hold their value

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
at my wifes school there are some Ethiopian refugees and she was speaking to their interpreter last week. They were talking about aid and he said that charity's such as Oxfam and Christian Aid pay their "aid" directly to the governments, which in Ethiopia and Kenya meant 10% of it was distributed, 90% of it went to government agencies( new Mercs etc)

The only one he reconed distributed directly to those in need was Save the Children.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
On the Real Hustle last week they were showing how con men put charity collection sacks through doors in posh areas, get the clothes from people thinking they are donating to charity and then sell them at markets and shops. :nono:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
NMH said:
I have been charity-shop shopping a lot lately, after moving back to the UK - and it has helped furnish my flat with curtains, rugs, blankets, picture frames, candles, and other stuff. All quite handy really.

While doing this shopping, I've been casually looking for collectibles and more valuable artifacts - especially vinyl records.
However, they only ever seemed to have James Last, Harry Secombe, Max Bygraves and top-of-the-pops crap that never sells.

A little bit of investigation, and some candid confessions from a couple of volunteers in different shops (who probably shouldn't normally have told me) I found out that the store managers have first dibs on donated items, and they may never be sold in the shop, or even make any money for the charity!
On top of that, they have 'pricers' come in to evaluate records and some antique items, and THEY are given first pick...at very low prices (obviously they know that they are getting absolute bargain stuff for pennies). Those 'pricers' are usually dealers, or eBay sellers that then profit from the private sales, that only they profit from!

The donated valuables NEVER see the front of the shop, are often sequestered away without the actual charity never seeing a penny, and a few dodgy money-grabbing 'volunteers' are revelling in the kindly donations from unsuspecting people who will never check to make sure their generous donations of valuables got properly sold!

The managers of shops ARE paid, they hire several oldies who are free volunteers, the shops themselves are rent-free or very cheap (the owners can also claim it against their taxes if they have a charity shop lessee).

In their favour, they do sell some odd clothes and non-investment-grade tat which can be re-used, and thus they do get (and show) some income.

I don't know what NSC think here, but to me it appears that there are some dodgy people creaming a lot off of people's honest heartfelt kindness in donation, using a charity shop as a 'front' - and even they see it as doing nothing wrong, all quite part and parcel of running a shop!

There are a few charities that actively go out and do good things, of course, and the money made from 'tat' does go to a good cause - but when do you ever see anything of collectible/art/antique value on display in the front of the shop?

Is anybody actually surprised at this?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dave the Gaffer said:
at my wifes school there are some Ethiopian refugees and she was speaking to their interpreter last week. They were talking about aid and he said that charity's such as Oxfam and Christian Aid pay their "aid" directly to the governments, which in Ethiopia and Kenya meant 10% of it was distributed, 90% of it went to government agencies( new Mercs etc)

The only one he reconed distributed directly to those in need was Save the Children.

I am sure there are examples of charities working in extreme circumstances 'wasting' some of the efforts and money, but to dismiss the work of Oxfam and Christian Aid like this is crass in the extreme.

If you are interested in the work of Oxfam, give this, and other materials on their website, a read...

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/emergencies/country/eafrica/update.htm

Likewise, Christian Aid...

http://www.christian-aid.org.uk/aboutca/strategic_framework/index.htm

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Re: Re: Charity Shops - some sad facts

magoo said:
Is anybody actually surprised at this?

Not really I suppose, but it is sad, very sad.

We should be more angry at stuff like this, it needs some sort of Watchdog expose, to get the Charity organisations to tighten up their act.

It's not just records, and of course you can often find wonderful designer clothes, furnishings etc.
What I am saying is, that the cream-of-the-crop is first-pick for the shop manager or volunteer workers.
When someone donates, they are obviously assuming that the potentially valuable items will cultivate a monetary sum for the charity. They SHOULD check on what actually happens to the items, and if they do see the front of the shop even at all.

There's a shop on Preston Circus (Heart Foundation) that prices records with collector prices, which hopefully gains more for the charity, and is a legitimate outlet for valuable collector vinyl. I can't quite pay their prices as a rule, as they are quite high and I personally will find the items I want on eBay easier. I cannot hope to stumble into a charity, or any other type of non-collector shop, and acquire quality collectibles at reasonable prices. I'm not actually complaining about The Heart Foundation if they get the dosh for their charity - but it's the average high-street outlets where the undermining goes on, where collectors will NOT find quality items at ANY price because some dodgy dealer has already snagged it from the back room, perhaps chucked the charity itself a couple of measly quid, and made off into the night with thousands of pounds-worth that they will hungrily hawk off on eBay or retain for themselves to enhance their own collection for pennies on the pound!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I worked for a charity a few years ago briefly. The had a huge mansion in several acres which was virtually deserted. Why they thought they needed this place I have no idea. The fact that the 'marketing' people were on very good commission rather discourages me from giving money to these charities.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Titanic said:
I am sure there are examples of charities working in extreme circumstances 'wasting' some of the efforts and money, but to dismiss the work of Oxfam and Christian Aid like this is crass in the extreme.

If you are interested in the work of Oxfam, give this, and other materials on their website, a read...

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/emergencies/country/eafrica/update.htm

Likewise, Christian Aid...

http://www.christian-aid.org.uk/aboutca/strategic_framework/index.htm

I was only repeating first hand experience from someone on the ground involved with UNHCR refugees.

maybe he is wrong and making it all up.

who knows

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
I am good friends with the manager of a local Charity shop and often pop in to get a cuppa. I do know for a fact that if they find anything they feel might be worth a bit, she looks through numerous reference books and as in a recent case, if its likely the item is worth, say £50 plus, they will go through an e-bay site and sell it, with the money then going "into the till". however they do put the item on display initially at a price representative of its value, so as to avoid all the hassle of selling on e-bay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here