Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Charity requests when paying by card

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Paying at costa (M4 services) this morning and was asked to make a donation to charity via the card machine. Several local petrol stations have been doing this for a while. This annoys me on principal, a bit like the (gradually becoming compulsory) service charge on a bar or restaurant bill. But also I have no clue where the money goes (there are plenty of charities that one might not want to support) and I suspect the corporation owning the costas of this world will use the donations for their PR or even avoid putting their own hands in their pockets.
So it’s a big NO from me or am I out of step on this?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
You're completely right to stand firm. It's out of order even if it's for a gold standard charity, let alone when it's the "company x foundation'.
Service station I often use has had this on their POS machine for years but only once in about a hundred transactions have they pushed the card reader over without first pressing the No button for me.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Asda website does this when ordering food.

Just say no. If I want to give to charity, it will be a charity I choose.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Paying at costa (M4 services) this morning and was asked to make a donation to charity via the card machine. Several local petrol stations have been doing this for a while. This annoys me on principal, a bit like the (gradually becoming compulsory) service charge on a bar or restaurant bill. But also I have no clue where the money goes (there are plenty of charities that one might not want to support) and I suspect the corporation owning the costas of this world will use the donations for their PR or even avoid putting their own hands in their pockets.
So it’s a big NO from me or am I out of step on this?
Not really "asked to make a donation" though are you? It is an option on the machine (a non verbal one) that is offered to you, one that you just tap No to. Of all the things in the world currently, this is the one that annoys you enough to start a thread?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Scope charity shops tend to price their stuff at say 25p over the pound then ask if you'd like to round it up (£5.25 becomes £6). Quite a clever strategy, and us Brits hate to be impolite. Tesco self service checkouts also offer this service.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm with the OP. If I wanted more questions, I'd start listening to my wife.
I'm much more annoyed by the chap at Seven Dials Post Office who constantly wants me to upgrade my parcels from 2nd Class saying they will take 7-10 days and other such bullshit. Charity requests (which I mostly decline, like others, I choose my own charity priorities)... not at all annoying.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Not a lot different to the charity tin or jar that used to be on the counter of most shops, take aways, garages etc.

Donate if you want to or ignore, the choice is yours.
It is quite different.

The money that goes in the collection jars does not go into the bank account of the shop whose counter it is sitting on.

I’ve heard suggestions that supermarkets claim tax back against these donations too.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Not really "asked to make a donation" though are you? It is an option on the machine (a non verbal one) that is offered to you, one that you just tap No to. Of all the things in the world currently, this is the one that annoys you enough to start a thread?

Yes, I was handed the machine and asked. No of course it’s not the biggest issue in the world but if you really think that only these should be subject to a thread then maybe you’re on the wrong forum!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
At least with a machine you can just click no. Worse is when it's a person asking you. "Do you want to round up for charity?", "No thanks, I'm a total asshole and can't spare a few cents/pence"

McDonalds around my way have a habit of doing that now.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not a lot different to the charity tin or jar that used to be on the counter of most shops, take aways, garages etc.

Donate if you want to or ignore, the choice is yours.
Quite a bit different - you aren't being directly asked to donate with a charity tin. It's a guilt thing - they ask you, and you feel mean if you say no. Because you can't just 'ignore it' - you have to either say yes or no.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It is quite different.

The money that goes in the collection jars does not go into the bank account of the shop whose counter it is sitting on.

I’ve heard suggestions that supermarkets claim tax back against these donations too.

Yes, this definitely happens in Canada and the US. The shops claim tax back for all the charity donations.

I will give my donations directly to the charity. Then I can claim the tax back for it, which I can also donate (we don't have the Gift Aid option in Canada).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You should be in retail. I get people asking every week if I'd like to donate such and such to some charity, generaly a minimum of £50 in goods. I have a standing order for a local charity raffle (never won a thing*) and tell everyone that asks that I already donate.

*probably because no companies donate prizes.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
At least with a machine you can just click no. Worse is when it's a person asking you. "Do you want to round up for charity?", "No thanks, I'm a total asshole and can't spare a few cents/pence"

McDonalds around my way have a habit of doing that now.
Fortunately, having accepted many years ago that I'm a total arsehole, I have no problem saying no to people/card machines.

The requests on card machines are annoying and totally thread worthy incidentally, I was considering starting one the other day about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here