Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chappers Full Time Reserve team coach

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Chappers On Board
By Paul Camillin

Ian Chapman has been handed the role of reserve team coach on the club's coaching staff with immediate effect.

The former Albion left-back initially joined the Seagulls in November on a short-term deal until the end of the 2006/07 season - but with boss Dean Wilkins' future now secured Chapman was offered a more permanent arrangement.

Over the past six months Chapman had combined his role of coach with his position as manager of Whitehawk, but has now relinquished his role with the County League side and will now be full-time with Albion.

Chapman said, "I'm delighted to be coming to work for the club full time. I'm slightly sad to leave Whitehawk, but I wish them all the best for the future.

"They have been brilliant and very supportive throughout the last six months, and they have been good for me; I think I have been good for them."

Chapman, who made 331 appearances for Albion between 1986 and 1996, is now relishing the challenge of a new season.

"I came in with an open mind to help Dean out and to see how it went. It has been really enjoyable and I cannot wait to get going in the full-time role.

"We learnt a lot about the players and the league last season, and our hard work starts now as we look to get things ready for when the players report back."

Wilkins added, "It's great to get Ian on board full-time. He's already proved a popular addition on the training ground from Monday to Friday - but now it will be even more beneficial having him available to watch games during the week and to be involved with the first-team on a matchday.

"I have known Ian for many years, and know his level of commitment and enthusiasm as a player. I know he will be equally enthusiastic and determined - if not more - to succeed as a member of the coaching staff."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seagullible said:
great news, he's done fine at Whitehawk so at least he's some experience, /B]

So have a lot of the players at that level but that isnt going to get us promotion from Div1.

I would like to see the club show a little ambition and put Dean White back out as Chief Scout and bring in an experIenced No2 for Dean Wilkins

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I thought we needed to cut costs. ???

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
dougdeep said:
I thought we needed to cut costs. ???

I think we have with this appointment!!

Am I the only one who thinks that we have just settled for what we've got, and accepted another mediocre season next season??
I look at a club like Cardiff that finished 10th in the Championship, and yet has let more than 12 players go.

I'm so so disappointed with the appointments being made and contracts handed out by the club in the last month.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Finally some sense from the club!!

How can you employ someone who can't work on the one day of the week that you are going to busy!! :rolleyes:

Seagull73 said:
I think we have with this appointment!!

Am I the only one who thinks that we have just settled for what we've got, and accepted another mediocre season next season??
I look at a club like Cardiff that finished 10th in the Championship, and yet has let more than 12 players go.

I'm so so disappointed with the appointments being made and contracts handed out by the club in the last month.

A club like Cardiff!! Who have loads more money at their disposal to enable Dave Jones to buy loads of players and pay them loads of dosh.

BHAFC don't have loads of anything so it is hardly comparing like with like - people need to be realistic AND patient......

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
NS Herald said:
A club like Cardiff!! Who have loads more money at their disposal to enable Dave Jones to buy loads of players and pay them loads of dosh.

BHAFC don't have loads of anything so it is hardly comparing like with like - people need to be realistic AND patient......

You haven't kept up to date with their financial status then? They have had to release all the players because they want better ones in order to compete nearer the top. He's also had to place four others on the transfers list to raise additional transfer funds.

My point is more to do with the fact that he has been ruthless, which is what I think we should have been, and not committed ourselves to poor League One players. We've seen this year that some of them are not up to it, so what's the point of being patient?

Seagull73 said:
You haven't kept up to date with their financial status then? They have had to release all the players because they want better ones in order to compete nearer the top. He's also had to place four others on the transfers list to raise additional transfer funds.

My point is more to do with the fact that he has been ruthless, which is what I think we should have been, and not committed ourselves to poor League One players. We've seen this year that some of them are not up to it, so what's the point of being patient?

My point is that this club is not in a position to attract 6-8-10 players or whatever we need in its' present financial predicament and therefore keeping what you have and what you know and hope to improve makes more sense than risking a clear out and possibly getting in a load of dross.

Time will tell on how Wendy does with what he's got.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
NS Herald said:
My point is that this club is not in a position to attract 6-8-10 players or whatever we need in its' present financial predicament and therefore keeping what you have and what you know and hope to improve makes more sense than risking a clear out and possibly getting in a load of dross.

Time will tell on how Wendy does with what he's got.

Another club apologist... just what NSC needs!... :(

The players we have finished 18th last season... we needed a clearout... there were far too many players rewarded for poor seasons... too much sentiment... too much misplaced loyalty...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here