Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to football...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Something needs to be done about all the jostling / manhandling at free kicks and corners... not sure what though, short of awarding a few more penalties.

There genuinely seems to be a lot less of this in the World Cup, especially when compared to the Championship. There have actually been some decent headed goals from corners, something that has almost been killed off by all the holding and shirt pulling that is somehow acceptable these days. I can't believe it is that hard for refs to crack down on this.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Heard something recently about a rule change coming in that if a player has to leave the field injured, then an opposition player who caused that injury has to also leave the pitch until either the injured player comes back on or is replaced.

Presumably only in the case of foul play? If a player is injured in a perfectly fair tackle, which can happen, this would be grossly unfair.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This, I knew about the small line, but needs to be curved and longer.

Why? how many times do you see a wall of players stopping a corner, generally two at most. its not really a big issue in the game and a short corner is usually taken quickly so a player isnt going to want to make sure the defender is outsde the curve.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Heard something recently about a rule change coming in that if a player has to leave the field injured, then an opposition player who caused that injury has to also leave the pitch until either the injured player comes back on or is replaced.

That would be a good change, wonder if it will happen

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Can't see that happening. Whoever is marking Ronaldo just needs to draw a foul and then can go of injured for the rest of the game taking Ronaldo with him!

Talking about that slimely Portuguese turd, my on the field rule change would be retrospective bans for diving. Heavy bans at that.

Off the field, I'd love to see a maximum wage for each division. Not individual player, as that could never be made law, but maybe a squad cap.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Retrospective yellow cards (for the likes of Muller) - these are then rolled over to the next game ... effectively meaning that you start the game with a yellow card - one more and you are off ... that would cut down on the cheating/theatricals ....

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Why? how many times do you see a wall of players stopping a corner, generally two at most. its not really a big issue in the game and a short corner is usually taken quickly so a player isnt going to want to make sure the defender is outsde the curve.

If it stopped it once it would be worth it. Would cost next to nothing to put in place.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I like the shaving foam, its a really good idea - we should have this next season.
Ultimately though I think that we have all the required rules in place, its just that refs should be enforcing them more (and actually face reprimand if they don't).

The FA need to be instructing the refs (and warning the clubs) that the current rules must be strictly enforced this season with a "target" (or an expectation) that the number of yellows will at least double for the first quarter of the season compared with last year. I think it would take a few months of 10+ cards a game before it sunk in with the players (and clubs) that there is zero tolerance but then attitudes would change.

Diving should be the number one target for producing cards. Anyone believed to be diving should be automatically carded - with the 4th official given the power to make the decision as well as the referee. If the referee does nothing but the 4th official believes it was a dive then there should be a "board" announcement from the sideline (and any RED result applied at the next break of play).

Going down too easily, but not appealing - No Punishment
Diving and appealing (or rolling on the floor) - Yellow
Ludicrous play acting deemed to bring the game into disrepute - Straight Red.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
If a player is fouled then needs treatment and the offending player is yellow carded, they should leave the field not the player who has received treatment. The they should be waved back on after resulting freekick.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Official timekeepers. Would stop a lot of the time wasting and arbitrary added time at the end of each half. We pay to watch a football game not millionaires doing nothing, and doing it really slowly!!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Red card for blatant diving, you cheat in sport you get a ban , why should footballers be any differemt , Simulation my arse its cheating .

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
If a player is injured, and a free kick has NOT been given, the physio (with the thumbs up from the 4th official) should be allowed on to treat the player, to save a break in play.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Retrospective bans for diving, 3 then 5 then 10 etc... Throughout a players career, doesn't get wiped at the end of the season, but halved if they have had a 'clean' season.

I would change the rules so that any offence that did not deny a goalscoring opportunity inside the area, would no longer be a penalty but a free-kick from where the offence took place, i.e. if a player goes down in the box and they were going away from goal it should be a free-kick and not a penalty.

Professional fouls should be a penalty if inside the area and a sending-off outside the area, not fair to be punished twice.

Anyone called Sepp Blatter to be banned from all forms of football with immediate effect.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Professional fouls should be a penalty if inside the area and a sending-off outside the area, not fair to be punished twice.

I disgree. 'Professional' fouls are just plain cheating to deny a goal scoring opportunity. In the box, they are doubly so, as the scoring potential is even greater.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I disgree. 'Professional' fouls are just plain cheating to deny a goal scoring opportunity. In the box, they are doubly so, as the scoring potential is even greater.

But if it is inside the area they haven't denied anything as they are getting a penalty, which is a better chance than being one on one with the keeper able to come off of his line.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Zero tolerance on anyone who uses the term "Tippy Tappy" in an attempt to disparage possession football.

Fortunately this World Cup will see the end of the English interpretation of "Tika Taka" ie "Tippy Tappy". As nobody with any interest in excitement will be anymore interested in watching 'possession football' than synchronised swimming.
The Alf Ramsey obsession with complete possession even when it gets you nowhere, and a thousand other 'play the way you're facing' anecdotes might be erased and footballs version of Twenty20 move forward. One day even Arsene Wenger will see the light.
Personally, I don't care if BHA concede 100 goals next season ... if we score 200.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't see that happening. Whoever is marking Ronaldo just needs to draw a foul and then can go of injured for the rest of the game taking Ronaldo with him!

Talking about that slimely Portuguese turd, my on the field rule change would be retrospective bans for diving. Heavy bans at that.

Off the field, I'd love to see a maximum wage for each division. Not individual player, as that could never be made law, but maybe a squad cap.

Your first point is very good; it would only make injury play acting worse. It's a physical game and players get knocks. I'm sure that the minutes of each team playing a man down even themselves out over the course of most games.

I also agree on your second point.

As for the last idea, something like this may happen as an evolution of FFP rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here