Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to Brighton in the last 20 years

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i find the real change is in the marketing of the place, as a lifestyle statement for by numbers trendies. i think it feels less genuinely bohemian or hedonistic than 20 years ago. its not much more diverse.

less proper eccentrics many more middle of the road actually quite conservative when pushed show offs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bottom of St James street. Interesting, innovative shop Taj turned into a Sainsbury's Local. A Sainsbury's Local that doesn't even sell booze. What's the ****ing point?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Two friends of mine wrote independantly to the council and both got the same reply; they are used all over europe and they wanted to be the same.:facepalm: I am yet to see one any where in europe.???

Nor me and I've been lucky enough to go all over Europe through work. Not only are they badly designed with people often standing by the road missing the light change but they have used twice as many boxes, doubling up on most posts.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
An independent ad-free radio station, supported by public donation, with no corporate playlist, playing a diverse range of music by fans of any given genre, with no ad breaks, and no interruptions for news, travel, weather or time-checks.

Yeah.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Bottom of St James street. Interesting, innovative shop Taj turned into a Sainsbury's Local. A Sainsbury's Local that doesn't even sell booze. What's the ****ing point?

i remember once seeing two tramps attempt to ram raid st jamess street co op. with their heads. to get at the booze counter. blood everywhere and they kept bashing into the window. people just walked past.

i can very much understand why that sainsburys local doesnt sell booze.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
New Road isn't car-free, except when there's an event taking place.

It's a regular bog-standard road, but with smart (but bloody expensive) paving.

My understanding is that it is a shared-space, so it is not a regular bog-standard road.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i think it feels less genuinely bohemian or hedonistic than 20 years ago. its not much more diverse.

This is very very true. The old hedonistic and bohemian types are still around though, just much older and drinking at juice bars and coffee shops and moaning about noise as opposed to creating the noise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
i find the real change is in the marketing of the place, as a lifestyle statement for by numbers trendies. i think it feels less genuinely bohemian or hedonistic than 20 years ago. its not much more diverse.

less proper eccentrics many more middle of the road actually quite conservative when pushed show offs.

I'd agree with a lot of this. So many fairly ordinary people have arrived from London they've diluted the very diversity they were seeking out.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
The closing down of Orianas - used to love it in there. Jumping Jacks in North St.The place along Western Road where you cooked your own meat on burners inside the table (Oriental type food place)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The closing down of Orianas - used to love it in there. Jumping Jacks in North St.The place along Western Road where you cooked your own meat on burners inside the table (Oriental type food place)

i would agree that the closing of orianas was a massive cultural tipping point for brighton.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
They are indeed disgusting people and there is no need for them to be there. There are hostel places available for the homeless.

I shall start a campaign to have the park benches in the town centre taken over every evening by decent well-dressed people sitting chatting to friends and acquaintances, thus denying the homeless anywhere to park their filthy bodies.

A very positive reply- you have my vote. Of course there should be homes for everyone but the fact that there isn't still does not make it compulsory for people to give the homeless money every time they pass or face abuse.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Jumping Jacks in North St.The place along Western Road where you cooked your own meat on burners inside the table (Oriental type food place)

Jumping Jacks was the line dancing place above Hot Shots, wasn't it? It wasn't there for much more than a year, so not sure it's that badly missed.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
After 6 years of living in Brighton, i moved out exactly 20 years ago after getting divorced. Moved back to Lewes where i grew up and im still there, although i do work in Brighton.

that's certainly got to be one of the worst things to happen :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here