Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

change the backroom staff !!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Welcome old timer. Talking sense won't get you far on here I'm afraid.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What where booker and white doing when we where getting promotion a few years back

Well Booker wasnt here and White wasnt first team coach, wilkins was....does that answer your question.Unless you going back to Mickys first regin, and that is the point i think, old, stayed and ideas all washed up and outdated.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As a Midlands exile,I don't get to see many live games,unfortunately.But from match stats & highlights,quite a few corners are won but none are converted.Is this myopia (blindbarstard),bad coaching,or crapcornertaker?:wozza:UTA:bowdown:

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
Booker and White are good people and Albion through and through, they do a terrific job for this club and I am sure Slade has been suitably impressed by their work to keep them.

Now change the record, this is getting tiresome.

The problem is that they are Sussex County League standard coaches. They are not pushing players to higher standards. Think of all the so called above average players that have joined recently whose performances have dipped. We need a HIGH CLASS Head Coach fully EUFA qualified with new ideas to push the players to the new heights that are required by Bloom, Slade and all the supporters.Just look at the Premier League games and all the Managers have a well known person sitting on their right/left hand side. The decision has to be made now, not in six months when we are still in the bottom 3

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
I totally agree with you. If I was confident that the two of them were his choice, and he had not been forced to keep them and not allowed someone of his own choice, then "on his head be it" as they say.

Personally, I believe that if Tony Bloom wants to make some money by buying promising youngsters, developing them and then selling them no for a profit (which is how the best lower league clubs work), we need some real quality in our coaching staff to do the development. It would be foolish to expect Russell slade to do it all by himself, or with the two mentioned plus Tinselhead as well. Did I not see somewhere that the new goalkeeping coach was having to chip-in with outfield set piece coaching?

Dean Wilkins may not have been a good Manager (that is not proven either way), but he was a bloody good coach by all accounts, and we have struggled since he left the Club.

yeah but you have the vision of a complete fool. other people aren't so lucky.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Who decided White & Booker weren't up to the job?
Who has seen 1st hand their coaching methods?
Has any current or ex player complained about their abilities?
Does anyone know that they don't just carry out the managers instructions?
I suspect 1 person posted it on here and hey presto a bandwagon is started.
Bottom line, if the club think they're good enough, they stay.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, run that by me again. Booker wasn't here when we won our promotions?

When did booker leave us? Did he leave with MA first time, was he around when Peter Taylor got us promoted? Was he around when McGhee got us promoted?

*Not trying to counter any argument, I genuinely don't remember when he left, and want to have the facts added to the argument

When did booker leave us? Did he leave with MA first time, was he around when Peter Taylor got us promoted? Was he around when McGhee got us promoted?

*Not trying to counter any argument, I genuinely don't remember when he left, and want to have the facts added to the argument

I *think* Booker left with McGhee. I'm sure Insider posted on here that had McGhee got the Scotland job he had Booker pencilled in as part of his team, so they definitely worked together.

Ultimately, we were told that Slade was going to review the coaching staff and make changes where appropriate. He hasn't made any, so if he's happy, I'm happy. I simply don't understand the attitude of those who think their opinion is better/more valid than Slade, the players and other professionals involved in football. What do you know that they don't?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Booker joined part way through the 2000/01 season, and worked under Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee (a fairly impressive list, actually) and had a brief stint at manager himself. He left at the same time as McGhee, in September 2006. So Booker was with us through all of the promotions - and the relegations.

Should McGhee have got the Scotland job, he had Booker pencilled in to be part of the coaching set-up.

I am also informed, by the way, from a highly reliable source that Slade and Booker "get on like a house on fire..."

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt there a suggestion that another coach was going to be brought in rather than either one of BB or DW sacked. Sure I read that they had problems getting the man because of his existing contract but I might be dreaming.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Booker joined part way through the 2000/01 season, and worked under Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee (a fairly impressive list, actually) and had a brief stint at manager himself. He left at the same time as McGhee, in September 2006. So Booker was with us through all of the promotions - and the relegations.

Should McGhee have got the Scotland job, he had Booker pencilled in to be part of the coaching set-up.

I am also informed, by the way, from a highly reliable source that Slade and Booker "get on like a house on fire..."

booker only worked with those managers becuase knight insisted, they could only have the job IF they worked alongside booker.

mcghee didn't get the scotland job so booker stayed at pease pottage.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
but even if that was true (which i don't believe), it's not the case now.

i'm sure it was the case. none of them brought in their own assistant - i remember knight saying this on more than one occasion.

in fact when was the last time we recruited a new coach? wilkins was from within, MA (first time round) brought in white and comedy bob years ago. outside these poeple and the mangers, who else has been coaching the players over the past ten years?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

So it's a relationship that leads to destruction, ruin, displaced families, lost memories, and the threat of death of serious injury.... :jester:

Ah, thanks.

Personally, I believe the manager should pick his coaching team, not the club. If Slade is genuinely happy with his set up, fine, he lives and dies by it.

I do find it suspicious that we've had so many managers but the coaching staff have stayed the same, but at the same time, don't we need that continuity to preserve the history of the club within the team/management set up? People there to maintain our identity (perhaps not so much a problem here, but I remember a great article by martin samuel about steve clarke's role at Chelsea being something like this, a particular problem in the top teams where a lot of foreign players migrate).

And as I said in an earlier post, that answer I got for the question I posted didn't seem to fit. It looked like Slade had more changes in mind than just the medical line up, and it's as if he already knew what changes he wanted to make, but hasn't been able to. But like insider says, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here