Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chance of Snow next week

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All,

Consider this an early warning.

As you may or may not know, Meteorology is one of my hobbies...

And from that, I thought I'd pop in here and give you all a heads-up.

There is a chance (nothing more at present) that ealr next week we will see a change to very cold easterly winds, with heavy snow. It's something I've been watching for a week or so, and the forecast models are finally starting to form a concensus on the likely outcome.

This is currently being modelled to occur from Monday onwards, but may be delayed slightly.

This animation is not my own work, but shows the latest GFS model prediction... with the cold air and snow coming on from the East.

ak7ep4.gif

The main 3 forecast models are (currently) all showing a very wintry scene for early next week:

UK Met Office
3233965756_8d293e619b.jpg

European Model
3233971396_53f0de6969.jpg

US Model (they also do a Precipitation Type chart - worth a look)
3233972512_c02ec0f30f.jpg

Worth keeping an eye on, as this sort of setup could be around for up to 10 days if it occurs as currently forecast, with sub-zero day time temps and lots of snow.

Of course, it could all 'go tits up' and turn out either cold and dry, and rainy... but you never know.

Papa

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I like your predictions more than Gareths.

Yours come with graphics and sense.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I like your predictions more than Gareths.

Yours come with graphics and sense.

Thanks. I could have posted this any time over the last 3 or 4 days, but I don't want to 'go to press' too early... i'd say that we're 90% there for an easterly feed off the continent (models all agree on this). What will make or break this spell, in terms of cold air and snow is how the Scandinavian High and the low over Iberia position themselves.

The low will act as a support for the High, stopping it sinking into Europe, and the intensity (of the Low) will dictate the pressure gradient, and therefore the speed of the wind (which will affect the temperature).

A lot could change before Monday, but I'm hopeful that we might see some proper snowfall down here from this. If it does occur as per the models above, then it will be similar to Feb 1991.. which was very cold (although West Sussex missed out on the utter snow-fest that time).

Papa

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks. I could have posted this any time over the last 3 or 4 days, but I don't want to 'go to press' too early... i'd say that we're 90% there for an easterly feed off the continent (models all agree on this). What will make or break this spell, in terms of cold air and snow is how the Scandinavian High and the low over Iberia position themselves.

The low will act as a support for the High, stopping it sinking into Europe, and the intensity (of the Low) will dictate the pressure gradient, and therefore the speed of the wind (which will affect the temperature).

A lot could change before Monday, but I'm hopeful that we might see some proper snowfall down here from this. If it does occur as per the models above, then it will be similar to Feb 1991.. which was very cold (although West Sussex missed out on the utter snow-fest that time).

Papa

How are you at horse racing tips?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Whey hey ..... *dusts off the sledge*

Could we have it when I'm not at work? Please!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Do you mean that the Peterboro game next Tues may be like the one up there about 20 years ago? That should be fun in the South Stand.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do you mean that the Peterboro game next Tues may be like the one up there about 20 years ago? That should be fun in the South Stand.

Yes, complete with Pancake races and Perry Digweed in goal.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It WILL NOT snow next week. No chance.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
So my missus can look forward to a few inches, then. :yahoo:

Seriously though, I'm also into meteorology, and the BBC's online 5 day synoptic chart (weather map to non-meteorologists) also shows high presure building over Scandinavia from Friday owards, with a strong easterly wind setting in.

It's often these easterlies from Russia which give us our coldest winter weather and heaviest snow.

Bring it on!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Great, the week we are predicted snow I go away for the week, typical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here