Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship table by cost of team.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
TLB, Leon did not cost £100k, despite reports to the contrary. There was no downpayment for him and a nominal fee to Chelsea upon promotion. Chelsea do however have a sell-on clause. I think you will find that the fee was no more than £50k tops, and probably far lowere than that.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
RoyalAli said:
I imagine many of those figures are incorrect.

All of the figures used are those that are quoted for each player in either Rothmans or the Official PFA Footballers Factfile.

The fees quoted are the initial sums that were paid for the players. Add-ons, sell-ons, etc, aren't included.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Out of interest, where did you get it from? I compiled this list in reply to one of Yorkie's NSC posts a couple of weeks ago, and posted it on here and then cardiffcity.com.
Got it from P@soti, a Plymouth board.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
El Presidente said:
TLB, Leon did not cost £100k, despite reports to the contrary. There was no downpayment for him and a nominal fee to Chelsea upon promotion. Chelsea do however have a sell-on clause. I think you will find that the fee was no more than £50k tops, and probably far lowere than that.

We covered this on another thread, and I repeat that I'd be absolutely amazed if there was no downpayment, as Chelsea had already accepted a firm cash offer from QPR just before Knight joined Albion permanently.

When compiling lists like this, you can only use the figures quoted in official publications. If you have a look at either Rothmans or the PFA Factfile, they will tell you that Leon Knight cost BHA £100,000.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Laughing Bluebird said:
All of the figures used are those that are quoted for each player in either Rothmans or the Official PFA Footballers Factfile.

The fees quoted are the initial sums that were paid for the players. Add-ons, sell-ons, etc, aren't included.

If that is the case then the fee for Leon should be Zero.Ask the Club

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
I know he's left but could it include thee £50K we paid for Cullip leaving:

Watto/Charlie = £30K combined
Harty £1K and
Leon/Alexis nominal fees as the balance of £50K??

Glad to see Reading spending £4m and still struggling for consistency.

Would be interesting to see the wage bill for each team. We'd be bottom of that too. :lolol:

Our combined team cost less than 2 days wages for the Spurs team we face on Saturday me suspects:lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Scarface said:
Championship table by cost of team.
LEEDS UNITED - £10,350,000

The Leeds starting eleven this season and subs bench costs nowhere near that figure. The only two who are playing that have had a fee paid are Healy and Gregan. Maybe include Crainey since he played three/four times but the rest are academy/free/swap/loan players/

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
El Presidente said:
If that is the case then the fee for Leon should be Zero.

As I say, EP, we did this to death on the other thread (Yorkie's 'pound shop' thread). As Yorkie pointed out, a figure of £100,000 always appears next to Knight's name in Albion away programmes, and that information would usually be sent to the home club by a BHA official!

The figures quoted in official publications are certainly not always correct. For instance, Danny Gabbidon is listed as having cost us £175,000, whereas his true fee was nearer £800,000 all told. But you've got to take a figure from somewhere when you are compiling lists such ast these, and the PFA Footballers Factfile is normally very reliable.

I couldn't draw up a list of fees paid and then say that all figures were taken from the PFA Factfile, with the exception of BHA's Leon Knight, whose fee wasn't very big at all according to a BHA insider who uses North Stand Chat!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Championship table by cost of team.

Starry said:
The Leeds starting eleven this season and subs bench costs nowhere near that figure. The only two who are playing that have had a fee paid are Healy and Gregan. Maybe include Crainey since he played three/four times but the rest are academy/free/swap/loan players/

Only the list I drew up has been reproduced here, and not the accompanying notes. In those notes I pointed out that the Leeds total was mostly made up of the £7,000,000 paid for injury victim Seth Johnson.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Ah fair play. I took the title "Championship table by cost of team" to mean just that the regular eleven and subs.

But hey if we are including Sick Note can we please include the other dozen players we are paying to play for other clubs and the other managers being paid to manage other teams or broadcast for ITV, we'd storm this little league by miles ;)

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
wages are more the key, as you see shef utd havent spent much but im sure they have a few high earners. would be interested to see each teams wage bill.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Actually Sheff Utd are among the lowest teams in terms of wages as well.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I just did a quick bit of maths on this (I know, I need to get out more).

The thing I find really surprising is that there is absolutely no correlation between costs and points (0.15 for stattos). I would have expected some sort of correlation.

I do accept some of the costs qouted do appear a bit dubious, but not sure that would change the lack of correlation.

Therefore, spending money on transfers has no impact on success in the championship. I would guess that not a lot of people know that.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I had to use some sort of basis on which to draw up the list, and flat transfer fees paid for players in each of the club's current first team squad was that basis. But the figures themselves can be quite misleading.

For instance, Coventry's figure of £1,200,000 includes the £1,000,000 fee they paid Palace for Richard Shaw way back in 1995. As previously mentioned, the £10,000,000+ that Leeds have spent includes £7,000,000 for Seth Johnson, who has been out injured for ages. Similarly, the £5,000,000+ quoted for Nottingham Forest includes £3,000,000 they paid for one player: David Johnson.

One thing the table does demonstrate is the ridiculous amounts of money that clubs pay out in transfer fees in the Premiership. For example, the West Ham total includes £5,000,000 for Don Hutchison and £5,500,000 for Tomas Repka!

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
binary said:
I know he's left but could it include thee £50K we paid for Cullip leaving

Eh? Even though we sold him, he gets a higher wage, AND we pay off his contract? Bloody hell.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Brightonfan1983 said:
Eh? Even though we sold him, he gets a higher wage, AND we pay off his contract? Bloody hell.

Bad english by me. I meant the fee we paid for Cullip was £50K. This leaves £30K for Watto/Charlie, £1Kfor Harty and the rest for the nominal fees apparently paid for Leon and Alexis.

I did not mean we paid £50K to pay up his contract. Sorry.:nono:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Saint Lennard said:
Surely we've gotta come up with a chant realating to how much our squad costs for Saturday.

I hate those Premiershite over paid fancy dans ......:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

How about:-
"We cost less than Leadley King's yearly wage!"
Surely that will piss Mr. King off, as he says he should be on par with his other England collegues at £50,000+ Per week :lolol: :lolol: :jester:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
binary said:
Glad to see Reading spending £4m and still struggling for consistency.

May I add that this is £4mm over 4 years roughly, so around £1mm per annum.

Also our wage bill is 4th lowest in the Championship according to John Madejski and Nigel Howe at a recent fans forum :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here