Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship manager

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
woah Scandy thats class!

the "2Di FM2005" pic - THATS what I need, another monitor for 2d gameplay whilst using the other one for tactics...GENIUS!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Barnet Seagull said:
You can get practically anything Dos/Windows based to run on XP.

You may need to download VDMS (I do for CM1 and SWOS) or use the compatability modes.

Cheers Barnet, I'll try that.
Without getting too techy on me, why won't it just load up? Why do I need to go get other bits downloaded, when I didn't need to with good old Windows 95.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The new CM will be playable on consoles.

Therefore it can't use as much memory to save games etc.

Therefore FM should be much better.

CM is a new game. LMA will probably be better!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
In Basic terms...

It's because they're two vastly different OS's. Windows 95 is 16 bit architecture NT/2000/XP is 32 bit. As such the main operating system files have were re-written to take advantage of the 32-bit architecture and as such not everything is compatible.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Trigger said:
Which one have u done the player stats for Turks?

FM, the old CM.

I have no control over the stats of the new signings though so if they're a bit off it isn't my fault! I think Currie/Jarrett will have relativly poor stats. Still, you may well think Currie does stink! :jester:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
D'Angelo Saxon said:
I guess you'll all have it before me though as it normally takes another couple of months to come out for Macs... :(

I'm still waiting for CM1 to come out for BeOS. You damn Mac users are lucky - got around the same market share as us but you're all perceived as rich buggers and hence get 20x the software made.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Barnet Seagull said:
In Basic terms...

It's because they're two vastly different OS's. Windows 95 is 16 bit architecture NT/2000/XP is 32 bit. As such the main operating system files have were re-written to take advantage of the 32-bit architecture and as such not everything is compatible.

Actually, no, its not. Windows 95 is a dual mode 32/16 bit graphical shell extension to a 16 bit command shell extension to DOS, which is 8 bit. However, it still makes Windows 95, and indeed even Windows 3.11 32 bit (3.1 was 16).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
MYOB said:
Actually, no, its not. Windows 95 is a dual mode 32/16 bit graphical shell extension to a 16 bit command shell extension to DOS, which is 8 bit. However, it still makes Windows 95, and indeed even Windows 3.11 32 bit (3.1 was 16).

Or in other words, there isn't an answer 'basic' enough for me to understand.

Cheers, so I just need this VDMS thingy (which does sound like a Steve Coppell-type virus for Microsoft) and I'll be okay.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
MYOB said:
CM3 you're using? It runs on Windows XPSP2 here fine. Just tell it to run in either Windows 2000 or Windows ME emulation mode.

Okay I'll try that.

Had no luck with the VDMS, as the patch doesn't appear to be for XP, just "2000", and sure enough it said it wasn't compatible when I tried to run it.

Microsoft has released a Windows 2000 patch for the "Extra VDMs in Terminal Server Sessions" issue

This update addresses the "16-Bit OLE Servers Started from 16-Bit Programs Create Extra VDMs in Terminal Server Sessions" issue in Windows 2000, and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article 304229. Download now to resolve the negative effect on the performance of the Terminal Server caused by running 16-bit apps.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Barnet Seagull said:
"basic terms"

and factually incorrect, as myob points out Win9X is 32bit. The actual reason is that NT/2000/XP dont allow software to communicate directly with the hardware, everything has to go though the OS (or the Hardware Abstraction Layer to be exact). programs written for Win95 has no awarenes of this so "wont work". In reality, unless a program has completly bypassed the Windows API and is carrying out alot of direct hardware manipulation (as is the case with alot of games) it will probably work with the later OSs. Im running CM00/01 fine on win2k, though the box says otherwise.
:p

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Well, VDM's are for running Windows 3 and 3.1 applications, as well as 3.11 and OS/2 16 bit applications. However, CM3 is a valid, 32 bit executable using DirectX...

Try running the "Windowed" version of it, it uses GDI+ instead of DirectX.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can't even get that far, as it just comes up with "not supported on Windows NT" when I doubble click the CM3 icon to fire it up.

Don't get near any 'options'

Scandinavianseagulls25

Nov 27, 2003
as you know I have a big FM/CM-site in swedish with around 4000 visitors everyday. We are doing a english version of the site called FMscandinavia in november, so if someone here that knows ALOT of the game, and can write good, and are hard working guy, then you can contact me PM.

as you can se my english is not the best so I cant write anything in the new site :)

maybe turkey :) ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here