Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central Brighton to Falmer?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Can anyone who lives in Brighton tell me how long it would take to walk from central Brighton to Falmer? It looks pretty far on a map, would it be a hike?

Cheers.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Almost an hour I would say.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
It must be an hours walk for an average person,if you dont stop in any pubs on the way.
Just on that quote ,i wonder how many pubs you would pass on the route if you went direct from the station down the underpass and across the level and then down the Lewes Road.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
When I used to live in Coldean and was drunk in town I would have to walk back after the last bus (before the N25 came about). Used to take about an hour.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
I Do that sometimes, normally takes me 40 minutes jogging but probs 1hr ish if walking...

What route were you thinking of, Lewes road route?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Depends if you actually want to walk it normally (1 hr), or walk it the NIMBY way (20 mins).

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I walked it from my house (next to bankers on western road) a couple of weeks ago. Took me an hour and five minutes, but I walked bloody quickly and enjoy walking. It's jus over four miles house to stadium.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I also used to walk from town to Coldean, less than an hour so about an hour for falmer seems about right. It's a flat route though, unusual in Brighton.

As for the pub crawl, well there's not actually too many. If you join Lewes rd at St Peter's then you pass the (closed) Racehil, can have a ruck in the Franklin, meet some friendly student types in the Gladstone, take you life in your hands crossing to the Hub, then cross back to the Bear, always a nice pub.

From there you go to the Lecture, which is crap but after that is a dry & barren land. You can mourn the long gone (but still standing) Ship and many a happy time was spent in this pub that had lunchtime strippers.

There is nothing nort, unless you venture slightly off the lewes road to the hikers, a legendary Albion pub with it's own Albion themed bar. Could do with some real ale though.l

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I also used to walk from town to Coldean, less than an hour so about an hour for falmer seems about right. It's a flat route though, unusual in Brighton.

Blimey, you must know how to shift then.

Taking 'Central Brighton' to mean the Royal Pavilion (the landmark used to denote distances to Brighton on main road signposts), it's 4.6 miles to Falmer. Which, at walking pace of 3.5mph is about 78 minutes.

It's not that flat either. The stadium site is about 300ft above sea level. Oh, and Hiker's Rest to Stadium site is about 3/4 mile.

D

Deleted User X18H

As for the pub crawl, well there's not actually too many. If you join Lewes rd at St Peter's then you pass the (closed) Racehil, can have a ruck in the Franklin, meet some friendly student types in the Gladstone, take you life in your hands crossing to the Hub, then cross back to the Bear, always a nice pub.

From there you go to the Lecture, which is crap but after that is a dry & barren land. You can mourn the long gone (but still standing) Ship and many a happy time was spent in this pub that had lunchtime strippers.

There is nothing nort, unless you venture slightly off the lewes road to the hikers, a legendary Albion pub with it's own Albion themed bar. Could do with some real ale though.l
I am just too young to remember the Sunday lunch strippers at The Ship .I do remember my old Dad would go to Bevendean with my Uncles to visit my Grandmother every other Sunday and always have a drink in the Admiral apparently although once (before mobile phones) when my mum needed to get hold of him and rang the Admiral he wasn't there nor had been. When he eventually got home his suggestion he'd been for a couple in the Admiral turned into a lively Sunday afternoon discussion!!! He'd been down the Ship ain't he bless him.

D

Deleted User X18H

Taking 'Central Brighton' to mean the Royal Pavilion (the landmark used to denote distances to Brighton on main road signposts), it's 4.6 miles to Falmer. Which, at walking pace of 3.5mph is about 78 minutes.

It's not that flat either. The stadium site is about 300ft above sea level. Oh, and Hiker's Rest to Stadium site is about 3/4 mile.
The football league designated that the new Stadium must be no more than 7 miles from The Pavilion.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton

That was in my younger (and slimmer) days but i still sometimes walk from my place of work near churchill Sq to sainsburys, lewes rd and that takes about 30 mins. That would be about half way.

And the Lewes Rd only has a slight, almost unnoticable gradient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here