Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic in league 2 ?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
A lot of talk on sky's Sunday supplement about Celtic joining the football league .I know it's been talked about before but sounds like this time they could make a strong bid to join, a massive club 60,000 every week with no opposition even less now with the plight of Rangers . I suppose with Cardiff & Swansea from Wales in the English game why not a Scottish team , if it ever did happen they should be made to start in league 2 and work their way up to the premier league IMO .

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Will never, ever happen. And even if it did, there's no way they'd accept going into League 2 (and why stop there? Shouldn't they have to climb the whole pyramid like everyone else? There in a nutshell is why it won't happen: they'd expect their size to guarantee them a Prem slot, which the rest of English footie wouldn't give them).

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Starting them in League 2 would completely ruin the league for everybody else though. It is difficult to see a viable way of fitting them into the leagues without pissing off somebody.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are not even up to Premiership quality in my view

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
It wouldn't happen straight away, but if they were to be in league 2, I'd give them 10 years before they're one of the top 4. The shear size of the club is ridiculous, easily the second biggest UK team after Utd. Their revenue would be outrageous and therefore the quality of players they could attract would be much higher than many others.

a lot of talk on sky's sunday supplement about celtic joining the football league .i know it's been talked about before but sounds like this time they could make a strong bid to join, a massive club 60,000 every week with no opposition even less now with the plight of rangers . I suppose with cardiff & swansea from wales in the english game why not a scottish team , if it ever did happen they should be made to start in league 2 and work their way up to the premier league imo .

Love it if they got relegated after one season in div2:lolol:

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I do not want these scots down here. I hope Alex Salmond gets his independence and then we can start the repatriation. How many scots are down here taking our jobs. I am sick to death of hearing that accent on our media outlets. Set the border posts up, the sooner the better.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I for one don't want them, but if they were to join English football I would hope to see them start at the bottom of the pyramid and earn a place in the football league.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It won't happen. Why would they give up a Champions League slot for a shot at Championship football?

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
One day there will be a proper European League. They should argue for that. When you consider that Eindhoven, Liege, Munchengladach, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Liege, Amsterdam and Paris are all closer to London that Glasgow, what is so special about them? There are some much more exciting clubs close than they are - and the others don't have such bigotted fans either. Celtic or Ajax in the Premiership? Wouldn't want either, but I know what I would prefer!!

Dandyman

In London village.
Won't happen - they are likely to dominate Scottish football for the next few both years financially and on the pitch. I don't really see any great incentive to them joining English football, quite apart from the fact that most English fans don't want them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They are not even up to Premiership quality in my view

I would say the current standard of Celtic would put them about the lower end of the Championship, at a guess - nowhere near Prem level. I think you'd upset a lot of people if they were parachuted into any of the 4 divisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here