Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic admit premier league defeat

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Marc said:
I think its a shame, afterall we have Cardiff & Swansea so why not the two (bigger) Old Firm teams and then potentially more?

Afterall in years to come we're gonna lose Man Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal to some crappy Euro league so we're gonna need to fill the gaps!
I think it's a shame that Cardiff & Swansea (along with Wrexham) don't play in the Welsh league - their fans, particularly Cardiff's, always turn up singing 'Land of my Fathers' but stick two fingers up to their own country's league.

Get shot of the Welsh teams as well and broaden the League cup to include Welsh league and Scots prem teams. So you could get Rangers at home, or you could get Haverfordwest away

on a Tuesday night

in the rain

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In pure football terms to have Celtic and Rangers in the Premiership would be excellent.

Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool have won every Premiership and FA Cup for the last 10 years so, if nothing else, it would break the domination of the Big 4 and make for a more interesting title race.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
filthy said:
I reckon they should turn the league cup in to the british cup with all english, welsh, scottish and northern irish teams, brighton vs queen of the south! :lolol:

Yes I'd like to see that, some of the travelling could be a nightmare but it could be MAGIC !!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem is the League Cup is midweek, so getting up to Falkirk for a 19.45 k/o could be a problem. Last-minute postponements would also be interesting.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't want them.

Why should English clubs prop up the decaying wilderness that is Scottish football?

Celtic and Rangers are in the position they're in because of their own greed. And it's the same greed that makes them look at the money in English football and want a bit of the pie.

Besides, what right do Rangers in particular have? Why would we want the fourth best team in Scottish football down here? That's like saying Wigan Athletic should be accepted into Serie A.

I don't see anyone offering Hearts and Hibs a place in the Premiership.

If Rangers and Celtic want to join I'm quite happy for them to work up the pyramid from, say, the Northern Counties Premier League, otherwise they can sod off.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Exactly Edna. If Celtic and Rangers were that keen on joining English football then they should start at the bottom, until then they should shut up about something that just ain't going to happen.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Marc said:
I think its a shame, afterall we have Cardiff & Swansea so why not the two (bigger) Old Firm teams and then potentially more?

Sorry, but is that an argument for or against the idea? :jester:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Dougal said:
But how would you do it , put them straight in the premier league but have 5 relagated with a knock on to 5 out the championship. . . keep them up there i say
]]

there are 20 teams in premership yet 24 in championship, why cant they just add two to the premiership???

for what its worth i actually would like them to join the premership, in a couple of years their involvement would make it more competetive

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
surrey jim said:
]]

there are 20 teams in premership yet 24 in championship, why cant they just add two to the premiership???

I suspect that the Prem clubs wouldn't vote for that either; there were originally 22 teams in the top division and they voted to reduce the number. In fact, many of the top teams want to reduce the number to 18 but that wouldn't be voted for either.

As for the idea of the British Cup, I suspect that would cause problems with UEFA and would mean fewer places in the UEFA Cup.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Easy 10 said:
They should be allowed to play in the english League Cup though. Would give a few Championship / lower division sides the chance to put the Old Firm in their proper place, and to confirm exactly where they are in the food chain.

How can you possibly argue that when in the last few years both sides have played against, competed with and beaten the top sides around Europe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here