Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ceasefire on slagging SC?

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Seems to me that we should consider this.

There seems to be at least a possiblity that SC has decided to reject Reading, or has at least not yet accepted. If this were the case and they were now having to find another manager, this would at least explain the delays in the accouncement.

It's only a possiblity, but should it turn out to be so then I really wouldn't want SC to come back and read some of the stuff we've said about him (or even worse just checking NSC while he's undecided to find out just how much support he has). It may be unlikely, but is it worth the risk?

Of course if he does go, we can then give full vent to our feelings without fear !

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
No-one has been slagging SC off though Norm,if you read into it all.

2 seconds on NSC and you'll realise he is worshipped.Rightly or wrongly.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Can't say I completely agree with that.

I've read quite a few angry and critical posts this week (admittedly by people who believed, as I did, that he was definitely going). I've also read at least one other comment along similar lines (i.e. just imagine if he came back and read this).

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I agree Iarus. I think you are absolutley right about people's frustration and anger.

Even more reason not to say things in the heat in the moment, which might regret later?

Maybe I'm being oversensitive for SC, perhaps he would realise why some people are doing it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I can just see SC, sitting at home weighing up the various merits of the two deals on the table and thinking "I'd better just go and have a look at that Brighton message board, what's it called? North Stand Talk or something, as any comments made on there will be the deciding factor in me staying with the club or leaving"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:
I can just see SC, sitting at home weighing up the various merits of the two deals on the table and thinking "I'd better just go and have a look at that Brighton message board, what's it called? North Stand Talk or something, as any comments made on there will be the deciding factor in me staying with the club or leaving"

It would take him two weeks to decide if he should look anyway, wouldn't it ? So we've got about a weeks breathing space

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Cheeky Monkey. Yes, I accept that. I did say it was unlikely. However, we do know that some of the players sometimes read NSC, so I don't think we could completely rule out SC doing so at some time.

I think I'm just suggesting some restraint in the more critical stuff. If you think that's oversensitive or completely unnecessary-fine.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Never take me seriously Norman. To a certain extent I echo your sentiments, but at the end of the day it would be unrealistic of him to expect us Brighton fans to be sitting around singing his praises. He's showing us and the club a complete lack of respect at the moment, and although I'd love him to stay, if he does do so then he will have lost respect, from me anyway. As Icy Gull points out above, we have a few weeks grace period anyway, so lets slag the f*cker to the hilt!

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Cheeky- fair enough.

I get the point that by the time he looked the posts would have gone.

You may hold the higher moral ground in defending free speech and honesty rather than my plea for diplomacy and restraint!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Norm, you're right mate.

Even if he goes, I don't want to be slagging him off. He nearly rescued us last year, he's built a great team for this year, we're top of the league...

Now someone has come and waved some cash and a nice stadium in his face. Anyone would think it over - Jesus, 99% of people would take it.

I was singing SC's blue and white army on Saturday - I hope I can sing it again.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I keep changing my mind. I did NOT want him to go initially, then when it seemed he was going I just wanted it to be over. Now it's still dragging on and I don't know what to think.

I have slagged him off on here, not as violently as some but I'm definitely not in the "Oh Stevie you've been so good to us, of couse we don't mind you talking to Reading, you deserve it" camp. As I've said on other threads it's football, not business and I don't believe it can be dismissed as simply a man considering a better job.

Still it's Thursday tomorrow and I'm assuming the same rule applies as last week "Coppell's Law #1 - stop all speculation and concentrate on Saturday's game." In that spirit I now say "Stevie Copplell's blue 'n' white army" - but you'll have to forgive me if I can't quite manage the same level of conviction as last week.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
By the way Norman. I think you're crap on the radio with Andrew Hawes, and your fixation with Charlie Oatway is hilarious.

Had to be said.

:lolol:

ojalbion

Jul 7, 2003
having been out of the country for a week and only had the odd sc text from the uk, of the 'hasnt gone yet' nature i can understand everyones frustration, the whole thing is rather bizarre and surely it doesnt take this long to sort it out either way

i missed the blackpool game but heard he got a great reception but can understand people not knowing what to say on saturday if he is still 'undecided'

fair enough he had an agreement to talk to better clubs but he should have decided by now either way, not fair on the club or the fans this way

saying all this he may well have left 2 days ago, it just hasnt got around to being put on the official site

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he's here on Saturday can we assume that he's back for good?
Or are we going to spend the next six weeks (sc's usual length of time to make a contract decision) being managed by Reading's manager elect . This is all a bit surreal now, so I'm prepared for just about anything.

ojalbion

Jul 7, 2003
agree it has the weirdness of the contract about it

im sure he is genuinely in two minds but should come out with something either way now

he cant let it drag on past the next game.....

for the record- stay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here