Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catt claims the Council is subsidising the Albion......huh ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At the risk of getting "fixtured", I havn't see the latest Catt drivel on here. This is on todays Argus letters page:

"In your reporting of the court case between myself and Brighton and Hove City Council (The Argus, June 16), I feel your article, by printing the current value of my house (an irrelevant fact), was insinuating I am somehow abusing the State by making use of the Legal Aid to which I am entitled.

As with most property owners, the obscene housing market has made me relatively asset-rich but cash-poor. This does not mean I can afford expensive legal actions which could result in the loss of my house, the very thing I am trying to protect. Even the most modest home owner in Brighton is sitting on an asset worth well in excess of £200,000.

We are therefore all rich compared to those, mostly young, people who have no chance of a place on the property ladder. For your article to make me out to be a rich man is completely disingenuous.

I had hoped to end my days in peace and quiet, smeared in goats cheese and routinely fondled by Polynesian dwarflings, rather than battling commercial interests on the same purely business interests which saw Goldstone sold off under the fans' noses, resulting in the mess we all face today.

But as The Argus is apparently so concerned over the use of public money, maybe it can investigate and report how much Brighton and Hove Albion owes our council and if and when this money is likely to be paid back. I have repeatedly tried to obtain the exact amount under the Freedom of Information Act but have been stubbornly refused on the grounds it is commercially sensitive and could easily place the football club in a precarious financial position. This makes me believe it could be a substantial amount.

For my own position, unlike the council, when your reporter enquired into my finances, I was completely open as I have absolutely nothing to hide. Taxpayers deserve to know how much our council is subsidising a private company.

-John Catt, Brighton

Am I missing something here ? In what way is Brighton & Hove City Council subsidising the Albion ? If Catt is referring to the plot of land the Council has agreed to hand over for the building of a Community Stadium then thats hardly "subsidising" the club is it. I wasn't aware of anything the Council is doing to directly contribute to the Albions coffers, so what is Catt on about now ?

-Confused, Southwick

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Easy 10 said:
....I had hoped to end my days in peace and quiet, smeared in goats cheese and routinely fondled by Polynesian dwarflings...

Bugger! I didn't realise that was a Withdean service. I wonder if the parents will let me move back in.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'll tell you what, you 'asset-rich, cash-poor' old TWAT.

Why don't you take some equity out of your HOUSE to pay your legal fees you dirty sponging BASTARD, instead of relying on some spurious statistics to 'prove' you haven't got a pot to piss in.

Have you really got nothing better to do with your life you senile old FUCKER.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
"I had hoped to end my days in peace and quiet, smeared in goats cheese and routinely fondled by Polynesian dwarflings"... I'm amazed that he admitted to that... :lolol: ... how does he expect to get public support with that kind of confession?...

I think he is now desparate... ignore the w@nker... he lost... end of...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is finally becoming clear why he has been challenging the stadium expansion. What a vindictive little man he is.

If for his stated reasons, he can't put up with the noise etc. and he is cash poor, then why doesn't he move elsewhere? You shouldn't have to, but....

Someone has to write a letter in response to that one....any takers?

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
It is finally becoming clear why he has been challenging the stadium expansion. What a vindictive little man he is.

If for his stated reasons, he can't put up with the noise etc. and he is cash poor, then why doesn't he move elsewhere? You shouldn't have to, but....

Someone has to write a letter in response to that one....any takers?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mr. Catt moved to Withdean after the Albion started playing there. Can anyone confirm this?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Trish said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mr. Catt moved to Withdean after the Albion started playing there. Can anyone confirm this?

According to various NSC sources, he moved after the Albion had moved in but before the planned expansion, although I would have thought it was pretty obvious it might be expanded!

Note various NSC sources - so not the gospel :lol:

There is a poster who used to live in the same road. He must know. Now what was his name?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
So it's ok for taxpayers to subsidise his legal expenses but he questions how the council spend their money?
I bet he wouldn't have bothered if it had meant selling his precious, noise engulfed house.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
But as The Argus is apparently so concerned over the use of public money, maybe it can investigate and report how much Brighton and Hove Albion owes our council and if and when this money is likely to be paid back. I have repeatedly tried to obtain the exact amount under the Freedom of Information Act but have been stubbornly refused on the grounds it is commercially sensitive and could easily place the football club in a precarious financial position. This makes me believe it could be a substantial amount.

For my own position, unlike the council, when your reporter enquired into my finances, I was completely open as I have absolutely nothing to hide. Taxpayers deserve to know how much our council is subsidising a private company.
One, I don't believe the answer (or supposed lack of one) he claims to have been given by the Council.

Second, even if the City Council did tell him that, it would be bullshit, because (a) local authorities are not there to financially bailt out private companies, and (b) all money must be accounted for in the City Council's expenditure accounts, and it would show up. At the risk of expecting a 'no shit, Sherlock' in reply, it's fair to say John Catt is probably lying.

Where I believe the Council is helping the Albion is allowng a plot of land with some commercial value to be used for a major construction project without any cash changing hands. In other words, the land may be worth, say, £5m, but as the City Council is not demanding any money for it, this £5m is considered the Council's contribution. I could be wrong, though, and stand to be majorly corrected.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Dear Mr Catt,

I have a solution. Why don't we swap houses. you could live in my nice quiet basement flat on Queens Park Road, and I live in yours.

A win win situation.

I await your reply via this message board.

Yours

Dover

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Catt claims the Council is subsidising the Albion......huh ?

The Large One said:
One, I don't believe the answer (or supposed lack of one) he claims to have been given by the Council.

Second, even if the City Council did tell him that, it would be bullshit, because (a) local authorities are not there to financially bailt out private companies, and (b) all money must be accounted for in the City Council's expenditure accounts, and it would show up. At the risk of expecting a 'no shit, Sherlock' in reply, it's fair to say John Catt is probably lying.

Where I believe the Council is helping the Albion is allowng a plot of land with some commercial value to be used for a major construction project without any cash changing hands. In other words, the land may be worth, say, £5m, but as the City Council is not demanding any money for it, this £5m is considered the Council's contribution. I could be wrong, though, and stand to be majorly corrected.

No shit sherlo.... Oh, sorry.

I would say that if that is what he is referring to it is actually a sound investment on the councils behalf considering the benefits they will receive once we get back where we belong and bring some decent sized crowds to spend their hard earned cash in the city.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Catt claims the Council is subsidising the Albion......huh ?

Rangdo said:
No shit sherlo.... Oh, sorry.

I would say that if that is what he is referring to it is actually a sound investment on the councils behalf considering the benefits they will receive once we get back where we belong and bring some decent sized crowds to spend their hard earned cash in the city.
He'll be dead by then.

But then, probably will most of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here