Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cat's got fleas.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I house sat for my olds a few years ago while they went away on holiday for a couple of weeks, main reason was so that the cats didn't have to go into a cattery. On about day two I noticed that I was getting bitten by fleas, jumped to the conclusion that it must have been the cats fault as they were all over the house. The cats were then bathed (by me) in flea-powder, needless to say they were less than impressed, I also had to do pretty much the whole house. The infestation lasted for about a week, drove me up the wall and left the cats hating me pretty much forever, and they say elephants never forget. Turns out there was a flea infestation across much of the south of England at the time, just unlucky to be a victim.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gully said:
I house sat for my olds a few years ago while they went away on holiday for a couple of weeks, main reason was so that the cats didn't have to go into a cattery. On about day two I noticed that I was getting bitten by fleas, jumped to the conclusion that it must have been the cats fault as they were all over the house. The cats were then bathed (by me) in flea-powder, needless to say they were less than impressed, I also had to do pretty much the whole house. The infestation lasted for about a week, drove me up the wall and left the cats hating me pretty much forever, and they say elephants never forget. Turns out there was a flea infestation across much of the south of England at the time, just unlucky to be a victim.

A flea not just for christmas they are for life.:D

Albion Rob

Eggmundo said:
Thanks for the advice, cat's a pain in the arse but the kids love it to bits. Here he is in the conservatory:
dsc028908ha.jpg

He looks nice, I like him.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Oi Mouldy, I don't have fleas anymore!!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Albion Rob said:
He looks nice, I like him.

I was just thinking that, lovely looking PUSSY. I like him too.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
He does look rather splendid, is this developing into a pussy appreciation thread, perhaps we could start a fan club.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What's his name?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
no idea what his real name is, we call him KITTAHH

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I have never found a decent flea treatment. Those frontline drops are useless. The best method that I have found is to simply comb the cat regularly with a flea comb and squash the fleas against the comb teeth with your thumbnail. Make sure you are thourough on the bit on top of their back at the base of their tail and on the back of their neck as they cannot reach these areas.
With luck the cat will love being combed as this makes it nice and easy. Otherwise say goodbye to most of your exposed skin.
If all else fails you could always shave it.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
readingstockport said:
Truth is the cat will always have fleas, they are impossible to get rid of. What happens is if the cat does not come around often enough the fleas get hungry and feed on human blood, on which incidentally they cannot survive anyway. You are far better to get a spray or treatment for your house as it is the house that has the fleas that are biting you.

Not sure the bit above about the cat always having fleas is true. Depends on their habits and who they mix with. We give ours frontline every 6 months and have had no problems.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Whilst I admit the cat is cute, lets not start posting pictures of our favourite pussies as the thread will just become as embarrasing, sad and gay as the North Stand Chat Arms thread which I have seen mentioned on other boards and is just making us look like a bunch of camp bitches.:down:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Eggmundo said:
Thanks for the advice, cat's a pain in the arse but the kids love it to bits. Here he is in the conservatory:
dsc028908ha.jpg

Oh mate, he's gorgeous, even with fleas. I'm recovering from a bout of flea bites myself, c/o my four furry friends. I forgot to give them their Frontline, but once on it does the trick. The more expensive version treats your carpet and furniture. Give the house a good old hoover, squirt the cat and you'll be fine.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Lightweights, the lot of you.

Can of hairspray will cure the cat of fleas.

Especially when pointed at the cat so that the spray passes through a naked flame. One less freeloading, shedding, shitting ball of attitude for the rest of us to deal with.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Problem is, though, as someone sort of pointed out, the fleas don't live on the cat. They live around the house, wait for the cat to wander past, jump on, feed, and jump off again. They spend 98 per cent of their time living in the carpet/sofa etc digesting their last meal, which is why most treatments are useless.

They can go for up to 4 weeks without feeding too, which is why you'll get bitten to death a month after your cat dies. They hate human blood, but after a few weeks, they start to get desperate.

Appreciate this doesn't help much, but hope it's interesting anyway.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
mtoto said:
Problem is, though, as someone sort of pointed out, the fleas don't live on the cat. They live around the house, wait for the cat to wander past, jump on, feed, and jump off again. They spend 98 per cent of their time living in the carpet/sofa etc digesting their last meal, which is why most treatments are useless.

They can go for up to 4 weeks without feeding too, which is why you'll get bitten to death a month after your cat dies. They hate human blood, but after a few weeks, they start to get desperate.

Appreciate this doesn't help much, but hope it's interesting anyway.

Sound like Lib Dem councillors......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here