Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering improved

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the West Stand Lower before the Reading pre-season friendly started a mate of mine went to get a pint of Harveys, he was first told by the person serving him that he couldn't sell him the beer as it was ten minutes before kick off, but then the person serving relented and sold him the beer.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was the person serving my mate talking rubbish? Is this a new club policy?

I got refused a beer at the Reading game at half-time because it was 'within ten minutes of the start of play'. First time I've got close enough to be served at half-time to be sure, and prob the last. Does it effectively mean they only have ten minutes to serve beer at half-time? Jeez!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
True I'd forgotten they reintroduced the noodles half way through season, having scrapped em after SSC final.

But u don't understand my point. That I struggle with.

What have Azure brought to the table?
Quality food? No, the only tasty thing are the pies which I believe were procured before Azure. If Azure are judged as caterers the burgers are their legacy. Poor.

Quality and speedy service? No.

Knowledgable and experienced mgmt? I would question some of the farcical logistics.

Offer of choice marking out the Amex from other grounds? Bit by bit this has been reduced from original expectation raising statements of last summer.

So what do you believe Azure have bought to the service that has added value?

It's interesting that the high expectations (what were they originally based on, I wonder?) of the stadium was, for some people, never met. The popularity of the food and drink on offer caught everyone out (the club, the staff, the caterers AND the fans), and everyone has tried to play catch-up ever since. To say Azure have offered nothing is, of course, nonsense.

When I say 'Azure', I mean the people working on the ground at the stadium, not the money-sponging, tight-fisted bods in Head Office.

I suppose I must have lower expectations than others regarding what to expect. If the figures are to be believed (and I see no reason why not - we all revelled in them early on) the demand for food and drink at the Amex is unprecedented in British football. Bearing that in mind, Azure could have done a whole lot worse. But then, they could do a whole lot better - and that's what they're striving for.

My experience is that for the most part, the service I have received in the WSU has been mostly adequate, often excellent, occasionally pisspoor - for quality, speed and choice.

Incidentally, as for the bit I've emboldened; Azure are the caterers - not the food suppliers. They buy in ALL of the food from a variety of sources. They don't make anything.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd love to know how all these people who are going to drink in town are going to get to the ground. :lol:

The trains were rammed an hour and a half before the Chelsea match kicked off.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I don't believe Azure for one second about the Kronie. I'd withdeanwager its all spin and lies and is more about reducing the choice thereby allowing them to pour shit lager en masse thereby speeding up the queues. Its not so much about the loss of Kronie as the imposition of Fosters. I won't be drinking it. Like you, I'd be happy to pay a premium for a premium Czech lager. Oh well.

Reckon this is pretty much the reason combined with the lack of margin particularly as you could get a kronie in the pie and pint deal.

So the lager choice is now limited to a pint of pre-poured flat piss which you will now get quicker

Marvellous

The whole point of bringing in an outside caterer was because the club didn't have the expertise in-house.

So which person have you in mind to bring it all in-house?

If you don't have the expertise you employ someone with the expertise. This has happened with the coaching and fitness staff since Poyet became manager.

I got refused a beer at the Reading game at half-time because it was 'within ten minutes of the start of play'. First time I've got close enough to be served at half-time to be sure, and prob the last. Does it effectively mean they only have ten minutes to serve beer at half-time? Jeez!

If one of the improvements expected is to ensure customers get served quickly and in time then I don't see how having a ten minute cut-off before the match starts/restarts is going to help the situation. This is going cause a rush for the drink and food before half time and a rush before the match kicks off.

I think there will be some very pissed off customers who get to front of the queue only to be told that they can't be served as it's ten minutes before the match start/restarts.

Is this being implemented for some legal reason I wonder?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I can't help thinking people are getting a bit hung-up on catering, maybe a sign of the times. I go to watch football and anything else is a bonus. Compared to most grounds I've been to, even if prices go up a bit and choice is slightly limited, then we get a pretty decent bonus.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I can't help thinking people are getting a bit hung-up on catering, maybe a sign of the times. I go to watch football and anything else is a bonus. Compared to most grounds I've been to, even if prices go up a bit and choice is slightly limited, then we get a pretty decent bonus.

It is simply a case of expectations. The club made a big deal about how different and high quality the offer was going to be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club made a big deal about how different and high quality the offer was going to be.

Not sure about the club but Azure certainly made a big deal. Fine dining and choice in 1901 apparently. The reality for one game was no choice other than a £25 burger and chips.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you don't have the expertise you employ someone with the expertise. This has happened with the coaching and fitness staff since Poyet became manager.

Well, yes - obviously. But how would they know who to employ? Regarding the playing staff, there were football people at the club already; people in the game who could advise etc.

But we're talking about something the club has really never done before - from scratch. A company making a pitch to sell their services is one thing. To employ ONE person to oversee absolutely everything with no-one else having any expertise is another thing entirely.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Well, yes - obviously. But how would they know who to employ? Regarding the playing staff, there were football people at the club already; people in the game who could advise etc.

But we're talking about something the club has really never done before - from scratch. A company making a pitch to sell their services is one thing. To employ ONE person to oversee absolutely everything with no-one else having any expertise is another thing entirely.

Go to a catering and hospitality recruitment agency and get them to head hunt for you. Pretty simple really. They would then take charge for recruitment of their team.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Incidentally, on the way home, I phoned Elliott and told him about this thread, and about certain unhappiness about choices being taken away.

He explained how the pulling system works, and how because Kronenbourg sold in nothing like the quantities of Foster's, some of it had to be binned. The way he explained it kind of made sense, but don't ask me to repeat it because I will get it wrong.

Suffice to say, to put Kronenbourg back on without the same level of wastage (assuming similar sales figures) means a re-configuration of the cellar. It would take 'about five days'. However, if feeling is that strong about it, he will certainly look at it with a view to putting Kronenbourg back on.

So, I guess it's up to those who want it back on to write to Elliott and let him know.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Incidentally, on the way home, I phoned Elliott and told him about this thread, and about certain unhappiness about choices being taken away.

He explained how the pulling system works, and how because Kronenbourg sold in nothing like the quantities of Foster's, some of it had to be binned. The way he explained it kind of made sense, but don't ask me to repeat it because I will get it wrong.

Suffice to say, to put Kronenbourg back on without the same level of wastage (assuming similar sales figures) means a re-configuration of the cellar. It would take 'about five days'. However, if feeling is that strong about it, he will certainly look at it with a view to putting Kronenbourg back on.

So, I guess it's up to those who want it back on to write to Elliott and let him know.

Technical answer to provide a cover for a profit driven reason?

As people have stated, sometimes the choice wasn't made available so the wastage point seems odd.

Either way, fair point regarding making points known. However didn't Bozza provide significant feedback mid season to Azure as part of constructive dialogue with fans only to be ignored?

As someone who has worked on both sides of outsourcing this strikes me as cover for money driven motive.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

What his e-mail address??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here