Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering Experience at Amex

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What are your experiences in general?

Not necessarily the quality of the fayre. More so the waiting times, supply levels, communication of between staff and customers (ie beer about to run out etc)

Didn't try and attack the queues last night at half time.

Please state your stand.

I was thinking of compiling some comments and observations to send to the club/azure.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
WSU - was going to have a pint pre-match as got in at 1915 but couldn't be bothered to queue

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Waiting the usual 15 minutes to get served last night (in the East), the lad behind the counter said they were understaffed behind the scenes, so ... this could have explained why, at 7:15pm, they had almost run out of everything except steak & kidney pies. I know, it's far better than the Withdean experience, but so it should be given the facilities. Clearly, there's more revenue to be made if they could sort out their speed of service.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
WSL - last night the service was so slow it was painful. The young bloke in the suit who was warning about the cut off time for selling alcohol before the match got an earful. His excuse was that they were low on staff but;

1. Thats not my problem.
2. All the service points were fully manned but the staff seemed to spend all their time staring at the tills and then running around doing nothing.

I wasn't in the best of moods (like many others) having just been messed around by the rail service for hours!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
WSU - was going to have a pint pre-match as got in at 1915 but couldn't be bothered to queue

This is generally the problem for us in WSL. Queued up for 15 mins last night to be told they had to stop serving beer. There was 6 people in front of us and it took 15 mins!!!

Must say the mobile kiosks for Harveys work well when stocked. However when the barrel runs out the staff seem surprised and it takes 10+ mins to change it. Foresight is required me thinks.

I try to make sure i am fed and watered before entering the ground, thus avoiding disappointment. I presume the club is losing money here?

I love going to the Amex but at the moment it is like receiving a great meal in a restaurant served by a moody teenager.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
When there's that many people wanting to buy stuff, it just doesn't make economic sense to be under staffed? I don't know how much it costs to employ someone for a game behind the bar but they must easily be able to make that back by being able to get that queue to move quicker. If I didn't have to wait for so long, i'd spend quite a bit more on a match day. I wanted something at half time but the wait in the WSU put me off.

My spend at the ground on a match day has got much less. I'm sure with less queuing, i'd still be spending at the same level as those first couple of games.

Still, that said, I bloody LOVE going to the Amex.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Almost everytime you get served the person behind the counter says 'sorry it's my first night'. Don't seem to have any regular staff which does not help with service speeds. Last night they were not even pre-pouring drinks

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
The West Stand always seem to be under-stocked with Pies.
Last night (West Stand Lower - Northern End), at the start of the second half, I queued up for some food, and the only hot food was left was...two Vegetarian Pies!! All other Pies had sold out, Hot Dogs and Burgers. They were still people in the queue including young children who were hoping to get some hot food as well.
The Club just seem to be missing out on revenue from the fans each week, why not over-stock with Food at Half-Time? That food can then be transported to The Northstand concourse for people who stay after the game for beers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Something wrong with the lager pumps ?

Cream Flow Fosters .... mmmmmmmm.

That's all that was on offer at the kiosk I was at.

I'm sure they will get it right, but it looked at breaking point last night.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As I said weeks ago, the only thing really letting down the Amex is Azure. Absolute crap. Met someone from the Uni the other day who said that caterers went in there and gave any student who wanted bar work a job without even interviewing them and requiring no experience whatsoever. Her friend is now a 'bar manager' despite having no prior bar knowledge at all.

As for the vastly overpriced 1901 platinum catering.. last night broke new ground. Presumably as most people are spurning the mediocre (for the price) sit-down meals, they've now introduced carvery rolls at £5.50 a time. They must have realised though that none would sell at that price with the pies being so good.. the solution: put the pies up to £4.50 each.. (and the pie and a pint deal has never applied in the 1901). I will be looking for mobile sellers and taking my pie in with me in future, purely on principle.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
not good in WSU on wednesday they had no fosters and last night no strongbow in the kiosk nearest the south stand. this was at 7pm .now i'm sure that this constitutes a loss of turnover and profit and needs to be sorted . the queues also seem to be longer prior to a night game compared to a saturday 3pm kick off as people are coming straight from work.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
North Stand seems under staffed. Halftime isn't even worth going if you don't leave before halftime (which I won't ever do). Before the match the kid that served me seemed very confused over what he was doing. He commented that the Liverpool game had "done his head in" and he was having trouble finding items on the touch screen. He also kept forgetting what i had ordered which was a pie and a water. I understand these people are on shit money and probably couldn't care less but the management need to take a look at the people and see how to improve things. Loads of money not being spent because the staff is failing. I don't necessarily blame the kid behind the till, I look to the higher up and wonder what the hell they are thinking.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
they need Smart Card only payment queues. These are twice as quick as even cash and a lot quicker than paying by debit or credit card.

These should rocket down much faster and make things a lot easier for all.

Yoda

English & European
Only Veg pie's left by half time in the last two matches in WSU central area. Went for a burger last night and no ketchup or mustard left so had to eat it dry.

With regard to getting drinks out quick, why don't the staff pour a load during the first half ready for the half time rush?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
right when I have I've been pre-match , queues not bad , staff very friendly , pies are good , hotdogs are good , burgers absolutely rank.

have looked at possibly going down at half time but it's a non-starter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here