Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Casper Ankergren: Liability / Useless Oaf

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I'm probably in the minority when I say I dislike Ankergren's 'technique', but it doesn't mean I think he's a bad keeper.

His time wasting, i.e when he takes ages to take a goal kick, waits for a striker to come to him before picking it up and hoofing it, really is a pain in the arse, especially as he seems to have no boundaries as to when he does it, the worst one I remember was doing it 2 minutes in to our match with Exeter! It wasn't even as though he was simply taking his time to settle any nerves, he actually warranted the referree blowing his whistle to tell him to hurry up.

Fair play to him though, you can't argue with the stats and we certainly haven't let many in this year, and having only missed four games this season I'm well aware he's a huge part of our play as he is used to pass the ball to in order to free up a striker, etc. He's certainly not a bad goalkeeper and I definitely trust Gus' judgement, but I think I'm in the Brezovan camp for now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He sometimes punches when he should catch, but he's a good shot stopper and his distribution is superb. Does't warrent quite a lot of the criticism he gets on here, mainly by the Kuipers worshipers I suspect.

Would people please get over this Kuipers thing? I fail to see why people insist on bringing him up whenever criticism of a 'keeper comes up.

We could have an absolute clown in goal who concedes 30 goals a game and people would still think critical opinions were from "Kuipers worshipers".

Ankergren divides opinion, I like him, some don't. Kuipers and opinions of him are irrelevant to this thread.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It's this sort of thread that makes me think we are still a small-thinking club.

You continually talk rubbish, on both Albion and non-Albion players. Your views on Ankergren were made clear when we first signed him, calling him Wankergren before he had even played for us. That was the point that I stopped taking you seriously as, I imagine, did many others.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Who statistically has the best defence in the league? And that has NOTHING to do with the qualities of Ankergren?

To be honest, its mostly the defence and the midfield. the way we keep the ball and the way we allow such few shots on goal.ankergren has never had to produce a match winning performance or ever been under heavy pressure for a sustained period of time. just because we concede few goals doesnt mean its all down to casper. we defend well as a team.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm probably in the minority when I say I dislike Ankergren's 'technique', but it doesn't mean I think he's a bad keeper.

His time wasting, i.e when he takes ages to take a goal kick, waits for a striker to come to him before picking it up and hoofing it, really is a pain in the arse, especially as he seems to have no boundaries as to when he does it, the worst one I remember was doing it 2 minutes in to our match with Exeter! It wasn't even as though he was simply taking his time to settle any nerves, he actually warranted the referree blowing his whistle to tell him to hurry up.

Considered that he's actually been instructed to do it ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
To be honest, its mostly the defence and the midfield. the way we keep the ball and the way we allow such few shots on goal.ankergren has never had to produce a match winning performance or ever been under heavy pressure for a sustained period of time. just because we concede few goals doesnt mean its all down to casper. we defend well as a team.

He is part of our defence. We attack from the back and he is integral in that. Defence is built from the back and an understanding of the goalkeeper. There is no 'i' in team.

Do we have statistical evidence that we suffer from a lack of shooting?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Considering the title of this thread, I opened it fully expecting to get into a lenghty argument!!

I think he's class. Not the best at coming for crosses but that not really a problem for us. Brezovan would no doubt have been number one had it not been for injury, but the the more I see of Casper the more I think he deserves the shirt. I think that position is more than sorted for next season, no mater with divison we are in.

He's in a differnet class to Kuipers who I though was the most over rated goalkeeper around. Kuipers was/is to goalkeeping, what I think Barnes is to striking. Although looks great to a lot of people, when you anazyle it closely isn't that good. Although I still hoping and willing to be proved wrong with Barnes!!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Would people please get over this Kuipers thing? I fail to see why people insist on bringing him up whenever criticism of a 'keeper comes up.

We could have an absolute clown in goal who concedes 30 goals a game and people would still think critical opinions were from "Kuipers worshipers".

Ankergren divides opinion, I like him, some don't. Kuipers and opinions of him are irrelevant to this thread.

Not really, I am saying people who are more critical of Ankergren are generally people who thought Kuipers could do no wrong. I agree Kuipers was a great servant of the club but some people will never be happy with whatever keeper we get, I mean the stats speak for themselves. Ankergren is better than Kuipers, I don't see why that divides opinion.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Why worry about the Pigs? Wednesday are a small club in whippet land, now at their proper level in English football, and they show their arse everytime the Blades front up in town

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Considered that he's actually been instructed to do it ?

That is absolutely spot on. Why can't people see it is a tactic that Gus uses. It takes the steam out of the opposition when they are looking to come out all guns blazing and allows us to cement ourselves in the game play at the tempo we want to and express ourselves and it has reaped huge dividends. Also with his feet at the back he is like a goalie/sweeper and adds so much to our back 5/6, as someone else said the other week sometimes it feels like we have 11 outfield players it stretches the oppostion front line and it allows Calderon and Painter to push on when working well.

He does have his moments I grant you (on crosses and sometimes with his feet) but all goalies have their moments and as someone else has said he has conceded the least goals out of any goalies in our league, give the bloke some credit.

Last edited:

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
How can anyone say Ankergren cannot withstand prolonged pressure - the first 30 minutes at Southampton he was under continuous pressure - how many goals did he concede? I rest my case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here