Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Casper Angkergren and Peter Brezovan

jayjaybhafc

Jul 24, 2010
Basically, IMO, Casper deserves to stay as our no.1
I know on here it is well documented that he is a little shakey on crosses but his distribution can not be underestimated enough.

As everyone knows, Gus has got us playing like Uruguay (yes it will catch on!) and I believe that Casper's footwork help us build effectively from the back.

The jury is out who is better at shot stopping, between Brez and Casper but Brezovan's kicking is so dire I believe Casper fully justifies his selection and looked at full control once again against Charlton.

One of our most stable signings this summer, especially after it looked like we were going to have half a season with Poke between the sticks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd rather Casper didn't come out for crosses if he wasn't confident.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'd rather Casper didn't come out for crosses if he wasn't confident.
Well it's better that he always stays on his line as then at least the defence know what the situation is. But it's still a bit frigtening when balls are coming into the 6 yard box and he's planted to his line. For that alone I'd prefer Brez who is hardly Kuipers when it comes to distribution either, and a decent shot stopper too (as Ankergren is).

Ankergren is doing alright, but I can't think of a time he's come under serious pressure except the last 15-20 minutes of the Rochdale game when he was all over the place. So the jury is still slightly out for me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not just that he doesn't come for crosses. When the ball is hit long by our opponents and it is going through to the box, but not at such pace it will carry through to the goal line he is reluctant to come for it, even when the defence thinks he will. Hopefully the defence are getting used to this, because in some early games it definitely caused some issues when opponents chased it down after seeing El Abd leave it for Casper and Casper stay on his line, forcing El Abd to have to chase back for a ball Casper should have claimed.

Then the ball will be coming down the wing, One of our defenders will be there ready to collect it and Ankergren will come off his line as if he is going to collect it, then have to rush back when the defender is under pressure.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, because these characteristics have not cost us any goals or points yet, but it is something that concerns me about Casper's game. Hopefully it won't so much as El Abd et al get used to him not coming for balls he obviously should be collecting.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
sill not confident about casper's catching and claiming crosses

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It ain't broke, so don't fix it!

Casper's impact on the stability of our back four shouldn't be underestimated either.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I think without his FANTASTIC save 5 minutes before half time, the result could have been different with us going in 1-1 at half time.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It ain't broke, so don't fix it!

Casper's impact on the stability of our back four shouldn't be underestimated either.

Absolutely. I do sometimes wonder if people forget we are a League 1 team. If Ankergren was confident off his line as well as having the other attributes he already has then he wouldn't be playing for us. I agree with what was said earlier, I would rather he stayed on his line and let the defence deal with things. The only time he has cost us a goal was coming off his line against Rochdale.

The other encouraging thing is that we have an equally good replacement available in Brezovan if Ankergren loses forms or has an injury.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Personally I think without his FANTASTIC save 5 minutes before half time, the result could have been different with us going in 1-1 at half time.
Wasn't a bad save but I'm not sure I'd go as far as FANTASTIC.

Sometimes people seem to think any time the keeper dives it's automatically a great save, the way I see it is would you have been disappointed if it went in, that one was a decent strike but right down the middle of the goal so I think the keeper should be saving that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wasn't a bad save but I'm not sure I'd go as far as FANTASTIC.

Sometimes people seem to think any time the keeper dives it's automatically a great save, the way I see it is would you have been disappointed if it went in, that one was a decent strike but right down the middle of the goal so I think the keeper should be saving that.

to be honest I was right to the side of it down the front, and it came through three people in front of him, including Greer lunging across him....it was an instinctive tip over I grant you, but he saw it very late....even the reaction of Albion players showed how good they thought it was.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I prefer Brezovan but think Ankergren deserves to keep his place.

If he goes into a bad patch of performances then Gus may make the change and give Brezovan his chance but until then he should have to wait.

Similarly to Elphick not having such a comanding game against Tranmere and Bournemouth and Greer got his chance. However, I think Elphick and Greer will be the main partnership as the season continues but Elphick now has to wait for his chance and claim a spot when he gets it

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lets not forget Brezovan's Wycombe howler. Worse than Casper's vs Rochdale.

Both decent League One keepers. Whoever has the shirt should keep it until they mess up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lets not forget Brezovan's Wycombe howler. Worse than Casper's vs Rochdale.

Both decent League One keepers. Whoever has the shirt should keep it until they mess up.

Difference being Peter's error made no difference whatsoever, whereas Casper's made a huge difference.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
İbrahim Tatlıses;3759471 said:
I don't understand this NSC consensus that Brez is as good as/better than Ankergren?

Looking at their career history (and record with us) Ankergren is clearly the better keeper.

Brez is clearly a top bloke, and a nice guy, but he must be the most overrated player at the club (and Ankergren the most underrated?)

Looking at their records with us:

Ankergren Brezovan
Pld - 13; 20
Win - 7; 9
Draw - 4; 5
Loss - 2; 6
Concede (per game) - 10 (0.77); 17 (0.85)
Win rate - 54%; 45%
Shots on target conceded - 20.00%; 18.48%
Clean Sheets - 38.46%; 42.00%
Concede 1 - 46.15%; 26.00%
Concede 2 - 15.38%; 32%
Concede 3 or more - 0%; 0%

Ankergren has a better win rate, though didn't join the team in the middle of a relegation dogfight still trying to come to terms with a new system of play and new management team.

Brezovan has a higher percent of clean sheets, and concedes fewer on-target shots than Ankergren, but Ankergren is protected by a strong defence meaning for a shot to get past the defence it has to be much more accurate, and so perhaps has had fewer savable on-target shots.

So, each have their strengths.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I prefer Brezovan but think Ankergren deserves to keep his place.

If he goes into a bad patch of performances then Gus may make the change and give Brezovan his chance but until then he should have to wait.

I'm with you :thumbsup:

I like Brez because he commands his box and in my view is as good a shot stopper. However his distribution is not as good and Casper's contribution to our passing game should not be overlooked

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
May sound odd, but I'd rather have Brez ready for if/when needed than having Casper in the same situation, Casper does worry me in the same way kuipers always did!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here