Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cash machines hacked to spew out all your card details

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
This is bloody scary. Clever buggers these criminals...

Cash machines hacked to spew out card details - tech - 17 June 2009 - New Scientist

"SKULDUGGERY," says Andrew Henwood, "is a very good word to describe what this extremely advanced, cleverly written malware gets up to. We've never seen anything like it."

What he has discovered is a devious piece of criminal coding that has been quietly at work in a clutch of cash machines at banks in Russia and Ukraine. It allows a gang member to walk up to an ATM, insert a "trigger" card, and use the machine's receipt printer to produce a list of all the debit card numbers used that day, including their start and expiry dates - and their PINs. Everything needed, in fact, to clone those cards and start emptying bank accounts. In some cases, the malicious software even allows the criminal to eject the machine's banknote storage cassette into the street.

The software is the latest move in a security arms race after banks and consumers got wise to the fitting of fake fascias onto ATMs. These fascias have been criminals' main way of using ATMs to get the details they need to clone cards. They contain a camera to spy on PINs being entered on the keypad, and a card reader to skim data from the card's magnetic stripe. It's big business: across Europe, losses due to such fraud grew by 11 per cent to €484 million in 2008, according to the European ATM Security Team (EAST), funded by the European Union and based in Edinburgh, UK (see graph).

Banks responded by investing in anti-skimming technology - which can detect a fake fascia overlay and disable the ATM. So crooks are developing new tricks, which are being uncovered by Henwood and his colleagues at SpiderLabs, a computer forensics research centre in London.

Part of Trustwave, a computer security firm based in Chicago and London, SpiderLabs was hired by a banking group from eastern Europe, after the group discovered heightened levels of card cloning and strange ATM behaviour across its branches in Russia and Ukraine.

After months poring over the Windows-based software in the bank's ATMs, Henwood and his team were astonished. They found a 50-kilobyte piece of malware disguised as a legitimate Windows program called lsass.exe. In a PC, this helps the Microsoft operating system cache session data - so users don't have to re-enter their passwords every time they get a new email, for example.

This is a clever choice of camouflage, says SpiderLabs' forensics manager Stephen Venter: to an IT staffer, lsass.exe doesn't look out of place in a Windows system, so routine checks wouldn't necessarily pick it up. Yet it has no useful function in an ATM.

Once installed, the malware implements a "card data harvesting" routine, SpiderLabs said in an alert to banks issued at the end of May. When a customer inserts their card, the malware records to hard disc its account number, start date, expiry date and three-digit security code, as well as the PIN entered.

"That PIN data gets encrypted when it is transmitted through to the bank," explains Henwood, "but inside the machine it's in the clear. So this little bugger just sits there stealing all the card data."
Inside the ATM the PIN is unencrypted. So this little bugger just sits there stealing all the card data

Equally ingenious is how the crooks harvest their stolen data - by using the ATM's receipt printer. Inserting a trigger card into the machine's slot causes the malware to launch a small window on the screen, with a variety of options. The first is to print out a list of all recently used cards. The data on the printout is encrypted, so crime bosses could enlist low-level accomplices to visit ATMs to retrieve the printouts, safe in the knowledge that they cannot use the data to clone cards themselves.

Another option on the menu even lets criminals with extended "access privileges" eject the cash cassette, although this only works with older, front-loading ATMs.

The hardest bit for the criminals is installing the malware in the first place, as it requires physical access to the machine. That most likely means an inside job within a bank, or using bribes or threats to encourage shop staff to provide access to a standalone ATM in a shop or mall.

News of the card-data harvester has shocked banks and security analysts. "My reaction to this was: how the hell did they get that software in there?" says Lachlan Gunn, head of EAST. "It must involve insiders." Colin Whittaker, head of security at the UK's Association for Payment Clearing Services (APACs), agrees: "The levels they have gone to to corrupt ATM engineers and install this software is just incredible."

SpiderLabs' analysts studied lsass.exe malware on 20 ATMs. They found multiple variants, and warn that it is almost certainly programmed to evolve further. One big concern is that it will become network capable - able to spread from machine to machine over the closed networks used by banks.

The discovery of the malware is likely to force banks to change their approach to ATM security. Past efforts have focused on developing "high-end security engineering" to authenticate customers' identities, says Whittaker. "We haven't perhaps given the ATMs' physical infrastructure much attention."

The malware is hidden in various Windows utilities, so it is unlikely to be caught by virus checkers. But banks will almost certainly introduce strong audit trails for the staff and engineers who have physical access to the guts of ATMs, for example, and block any USB connections to the ATM computers, so external pen drives cannot be connected to upload malware.

They need to move fast; SpiderLabs expects the technology to spread from eastern Europe to the US and Asia. European countries using chip-and-PIN cards will initially be immune because these ATMs encrypt PINs as they are typed, but it probably won't take hackers long to get around this too.

I had an interesting experience a year or two back.

A series of low value cash withdrawals from ATMs in South Africa that were steadily emptying my bank account, £10 at a time. In total, there were about 100 such transactions.

Fortunately, thanks to checking my bank account on-line, I noticed what was happening very quickly and contacted the bank - who put an immediate stop on all card transactions.

With it being the week before Christmas, that was a mixed blessing. I got a new card issued within 48 hours and all the money refunded within a couple of weeks.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
That's pretty ingenious, although none too surprising if you will run Windows as your ATM OS.

Of the worlds most important and powerful computers, the majority run UNIX based systems because they are both more secure and reliable

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's pretty ingenious, although none too surprising if you will run Windows as your ATM OS.

Of the worlds most important and powerful computers, the majority run UNIX based systems because they are both more secure and reliable

i dont think it would make any difference, how the software got there is the real underlying question and its probably an inside job with developers or maintenance people involved.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How could a card be cloned just using info on a printout? I wouldn't have thought the standard slips produced would be big enough to hold all the data.

The standard slip is produced from a roll of printer paper , all the info would simply be printed out on a long roll of paper. Blank cards made to look exactly the same as you card with raised embossing only need the information to be embedded in the magnetic strip on the back of the card and used in a country which hasn't got a chip and pin service to verify cards.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I see the point, but in this case it looks like an inside job. Doesn't sound like they routinely scan the operating systems on the machines at all, whatever they are.

A virus checker should really pick up a change in a standard bit of the operating system, especially one that caches passwords.

I suspect some of the more sophisticated scams never get reported in full for fear of someone copying them.

There was something last year (or before) on the underground where a hidden modified mobile phone was recording something or other. Possibly connected to some kind of skimming device. The police didn't want to give out hardly any details about it because the manner in which it was doing it was incredibly effective.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bluetooth can be used for some pretty dodgy scams , if you were that way inclined.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bluetooth can be used for some pretty dodgy scams , if you were that way inclined.

Yep - the one I described above was using bluetooth (I think).

A keyboard stuck above the normal one, with a skimming device was transmitting details to a nearby modified hidden mobile phone.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yep - the one I described above was using bluetooth (I think).

A keyboard stuck above the normal one, with a skimming device was transmitting details to a nearby modified hidden mobile phone.

Shooosshhhhh ! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here