Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carol thatcher calls a tennis player a golliwog

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wonder who that was?

She mentioned it in the green room after a One Show programme last week. Looks like she will be pilloried.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Are you sure it wasn't Yvonne Goolagong she was talking about but was misheard :lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

If you believe her spokesman, she was referring to some old cartoon character or something.

No idea who the tennis player was though - I can't really think of a top player whose black.

Probably this one as he fits the bill.

Attachments

• Ashe.jpg
    Ashe.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 764

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Any kind of name-calling as a way to try to make someone feel inferior on the basis of their race is racism, I agree. However, it's weird and sad how 'golliwog', a children's character enjoyed by many generations has become so loaded with racial meaning.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would imagine that as usual whatever she said has been taken completely out of context.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Whatever she said, I can't believe she's using the "it was only a joke" line to explain things away.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you believe her spokesman, she was referring to some old cartoon character or something.

No idea who the tennis player was though - I can't really think of a top player whose black.

Me neither.

I mean, it's like golf isn't it. Whoever heard of a world class black golfer?

:jester:

I do hope you're joking...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I would imagine that as usual whatever she said has been taken completely out of context.

Well it appears to be in the context of mentioning a black tennis player looked like a gollywog.

I struggling to think it what other context that could be construed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some of Thatcher's friends have insisted that she was referring to the player's hairstyle and had not intended to make a racist remark, according to the Times.

A spokesman for Thatcher, 55, who has been a regular contributor to The One Show for three years, said that the comment had been "an off-the-cuff remark made in jest'.

He added: 'Carol never intended any racist comment. She made a light aside about this tennis player and his similarity to the golliwog on the jam pot when she was growing up.

'There's no way, obviously, that she would condone any racist comment - we would refute that entirely. It would not be in her nature to do anything like that.'

:thud:

Now, where did I put those Pringles...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In other Race Relations news this week (from the same article)

Ironically, Thatcher was on the One Show with Jo Brand on Thursday evening. Brand was at the centre of a 'race' row at the weekend when it emerged she had made jokes about 'sending poo' to members of the BNP.

The following day, Simon Darby, the BNP’s deputy leader, made an official complaint to Hammersmith police alleging that Brand’s comment had been an act of incitement to cause racial harassment.

Sake! Nothing like attempting to make political capital out of a situation, is there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here