Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carlton Palmer

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
y2dave said:
Was at the game last night and he was shocking. Did not want the ball and his touch was poor. To be fair he should get a game in his preferred posistion.

Sven could have played 4-5-1 in anticipation of Rooney not being fit and given Hargreaves and Carrick a half each but that would be too much like preparing for the world cup

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Re: Re: Carlton Palmer

Commander said:
How many times have you seen him play 90 minutes in his proper position?

I have a German friend who watches loads of German football and he reckons he is a fantastic player. One of the best in Germany.

I'm not having a go, just saying that I dont think it is fair to judge him on what we have seen him do for England. He must be doing something right at Bayern, they love him there and they are a decent side.

All fair points well made... I'm just saying though that even though he clearly is playing very well at Bayern Munich, some players just can't do the job at international level.. we've seen plenty of those over the years...ie John Barnes, Andy Cole... both prolific for clubs, but rarely lit up the international stage.

My judgement is that whenever he has played in any position for England, he has been shocking. I think every other time he's played it's been in his preferred midfield position, and yet he's still not cut it.

Regarding playing at right back, Jimmy Greaves once said that any pro could play at right back as it's 'apparently' the easiest position in football! :lolol:

All that said though, i'll get behind him totally come what may!

Oct 25, 2003
the only reason hargreaves is there is his "versitality"....if he is shit at right back, one of his supposed positions, then whats the point?

he's not good enough just as a holding midfielder to get into the squad, carrick etc are miles better

that is all

Hargreaves at least understands that the point of being a footballer is occasionally to make contact with the ball.

Michael Ricketts, on the other hand, ....

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Carlton Palmer

Jam The Man said:

Regarding playing at right back, Jimmy Greaves once said that any pro could play at right back as it's 'apparently' the easiest position in football! :lolol:

All that said though, i'll get behind him totally come what may!

Jimmy Greaves, well-known for being sober, not talking shite, and his fantastic managerial career

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Great players who have left an indelible mark on the worlds greatest football tournement.

Pele, Maradonna, Jairzinho, Kempes, Cruif, Zidane and of course this years hopeful....................... I give you Crouch.

Not another thread slating Hargreaves, please!

Give him 90 mins in his preferred position of defensive midfielder as opposed to 10 mins as a sub when he's been asked to help hold onto a lead then judge him. Just for the record I didnt think he was THAT bad last night at RB, certainly no worse then Danny Mills at the last world cup... and Carrick was far from perfect, I saw quite a few stray passes from him... he's not up to Makalele or Keane standards just yet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here