Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carlsberg don't do World Cup groups...

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I think we'll draw Ghana or Ivory Coast and the other 2 teams will be average.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its a joke the Hosts are seeded.
As we've all been discussing recently, the whole WC tournament qualifying is designed to showcase the world's best teams whilst promoting it to developing soccerball nations. There's no reason why this shouldn't be extended to the host nation who have invested billions in infrastructure to host the thing.

Maybe it's not fair, but given that the host of the WC has never failed to make it out of the group stages, it's not that unreasonable either.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They're in with a shout against Greece who failed to win the easiest qualifying group since England's for Euro 2008.

As we've all been discussing recently, the whole WC tournament qualifying is designed to showcase the world's best teams whilst promoting it to developing soccerball nations. There's no reason why this shouldn't be extended to the host nation who have invested billions in infrastructure to host the thing.

Maybe it's not fair, but given that the host of the WC has never failed to make it out of the group stages, it's not that unreasonable either.

I don't have a problem with the hosts being given a place in the final, what is comical is that they are in there as 1st seeds. The reason that a WC host has never failed to make it out of the group stages is because they don't ever have to go up against 2 top teams in the group!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I disagree with the hosts being seeded. If they're not in the Top 8 teams in the world then they can't complain if they're not seeded, after all Andy Murray isn't seeded No.1 for Wimbledon, is he?

Here, Germany could get, say France, while Switzerland could get South Africa.

It's designed to give the host country the best possible chance of progressing through the tournament, but puts countries that are too small to host at a disadvantage, i.e. if the Dutch went into Poll 2 because South Africa were seeded there would be some unhappy Dutchmen.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
if the Dutch went into Poll 2 because South Africa were seeded there would be some unhappy Dutchmen.

I don't think the townships would be too bothered about the Dutch. Lot of history there...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Fair enough, But it could end up with a decent team not being seeded and getting knocked out earlier, or even more annoyingly end up in Englands group.

I do see your point about the money side, but if they know they wont be seeded before they even bid for it they cant be too upset if they dont get seeded?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here