Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carlsberg don't do World Cup groups...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
...but I'd fancy North Korea, Honduras and Slovakia.

Any predictions for who we'll end up with?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can see us drawing Ireland.

Also, I hope someone's enterprising enough to start selling reasonably-priced pith helmets - surely the fan's headgear of choice on the 'veldt', a la Rorke's Drift?

I can almost hear Michael Caine calling out "Rooney! Don't shoot 'til your see the whites of his eyes!"

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. Let's hope Birmingham's Zulu Warriors firm don't make a busman's holiday of the trip.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Time we had a group of death I think

We had a tough group in 2002 with Argentina,Sweden and Nigeria.

At the time i didn't think we'd make it through but that 1-0 win over the Argies ranks very highly in best ever pub experiences of watching England.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately the groups are seeded, so that's not likely to happen. However I seem to remember reading that we'd be amongst the 1st seeds, so we shouldn't get TOO hard a group. *famous last words*

I heard on the Guardian football podcast that if Argies qualified (which they did) it may well push us down to 2nd seeds. Hope not though.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we're not a first seed, we obviously want South Africa who will be.

I heard on the Guardian football podcast that if Argies qualified (which they did) it may well push us down to 2nd seeds. Hope not though.

According to
2010 World Cup: Seeding formula based on current standings (12 October 2009) ~ Football rankings
which, to be fair, I just plucked at random from google, we are comfortably in the top group. It leaves France and Netherlands as the teams to avoid in the 2nd seeds. I like the possible draw that he has made!

Group G: England, Switzerland, Bahrain, Tunisia

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I actually want us to have one reasonably (but not too) tough team in our group. Say, Ivory Coast or Russia. Someone to really test our players before the knockouts.

Coasting the group beating relative minnows could be dangerous.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
We had a tough group in 2002 with Argentina,Sweden and Nigeria.

At the time i didn't think we'd make it through but that 1-0 win over the Argies ranks very highly in best ever pub experiences of watching England.

same here:thumbsup:

I saw it in Madrid in some massive Irish pub, 2/3rds England fans 1/3rd Argentines. At the time they were tipped as one of the favourites and I wasn't sure I could face losing to them again surrounded by their fans....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I actually want us to have one reasonably (but not too) tough team in our group. Say, Ivory Coast or Russia. Someone to really test our players before the knockouts.

Coasting the group beating relative minnows could be dangerous.

This is a very good point actually! Otherwise there will be lots of hype etc etc if we do have an easy group*.

*cliche alert: there are no easy games at international level.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
According to
2010 World Cup: Seeding formula based on current standings (12 October 2009) ~ Football rankings
which, to be fair, I just plucked at random from google, we are comfortably in the top group. It leaves France and Netherlands as the teams to avoid in the 2nd seeds. I like the possible draw that he has made!

Is that true? can't believe it if so, France have to be first seeds, getting to the previous world cup final, two confed cup wins in last 8 years..

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Possible draw (using random.org):

Group A: South Africa, Denmark, Costa Rica, Paraguay
Group B: Brazil, Netherlands, Mexico, Ghana
Group C: Spain, Greece, Korea DPR, Côte d'Ivoire
Group D: Germany, Slovakia, Korea Republic, Chile
Group E: Argentina, Serbia, Japan, Algeria
Group F: Italy, Russia, USA, Cameroon
Group H: Portugal, France, Australia, Uruguay

:p:drool::drool: