Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We ain't little old Brighton, any more.
Literally this morning, in the office. Chatting to a colleague (Arsenal fan) about the Caicedo deal, and the money, and how crazy it still feels.

His view was kinda "Are you not used to it by now? This is who Brighton are now - you're a top 6-8 club, no question."

Nice, innit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
fabricator romano reporting personal terms agreed, talks ongoing. €16m.

Easy song for him - to the tune of I’m a believer…
That depends on where the correct emphasis is in that surname. It certainly isn't pronounced to rhyme with Believer.

It could be bal-uh-bah, in which case I can already hear the "Just sold my car" song starting up....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That depends on where the correct emphasis is in that surname. It certainly isn't pronounced to rhyme with Believer.

It could be bal-uh-bah, in which case I can already hear the "Just sold my car" song starting up....
Nope that's already Adingra's.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Reluctant to get too excited about anything online but it was only a couple of days ago we were linked with Lucas Gourna-Douath.
The really sensible thing to do would be get both in.
Gives us a chance to let Alzate leave (he deserves regular football) and gives the players a chance to bed in slowly, sharing game time. Both French speakers, one right footed, one left. Both should cost less than 20 million.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Reluctant to get too excited about anything online but it was only a couple of days ago we were linked with Lucas Gourna-Douath.
The really sensible thing to do would be get both in.
Gives us a chance to let Alzate leave (he deserves regular football) and gives the players a chance to bed in slowly, sharing game time. Both French speakers, one right footed, one left. Both should cost less than 20 million.

Don’t think there’s much hope of Douath costing less than 20, tbh. 50 for the pair would be great business though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Exactly the profile of player I was going we’d go for. I’d imagine we aren’t replacing Mosies in one player. More likely a few different options and tactical tweaks.
Somewhere back there is a thing about strengths and weaknesses which shows “tackling - weak”.
Genuine question, is that wrong/inaccurate? Is is something that could be adequately addressed/ coached?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Somewhere back there is a thing about strengths and weaknesses which shows “tackling - weak”.
Genuine question, is that wrong/inaccurate? Is is something that could be adequately addressed/ coached?

All of the main data on this kid is from less than 500 mins of senior football so I would take it with a pinch of salt. (Although no doubt our scouts will also be using his youth data)

Also, metrics can be deceiving. Often the best defenders don’t have the best tackling stats as they cut out the danger before it’s needed.

I doubt any player we could afford will have the tackling ability of Moises but this kid looks a better ball carrier (from eye test and limited data)

Yoda

English & European

"And then I saw his face,
It's Carlos Beleba"

Same syllables as "Now I'm a Believer"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Often the best defenders don’t have the best tackling stats as they cut out the danger before it’s needed.
This is something I try and do when I'm playing Football Manager.

Rather than buying the defenders with the best tackling attribute I'll look for players who've completed a high number of interceptions and then check that against successful tackle ratio etc.

There's so much more to being a good defender than just being able to stick your foot in. Though it does help of course.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nope that's already Adingra's.
f*** it, just include everyone:

"Just sold my car
To Simon Adingra
Who sold that car
To Carlos Baleba
Who sole that car
To Karou Mitoma"

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm a believer - Monkees

I only go to France for frogs and tasty snails
I didn't think there was much there for me

Moises left a big gap
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all my dreams

[Chorus]
Then I saw his face, It's Carlos Baleba
He's got pace, a footballing mind
What a find (ooooh), Carlos Baleba
And I believe that he will thrive.
Excellent… There is still talent on this site

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Done my usual eye and stat test.

And totally agree. He's got that ability to wriggle out of tight spaces. Relentless defensively. Actually probably looks a little closer to a young Biss than Moises from the eye test. Has a bit of flair. Likes a dribble. I can imagine him featuring quite a bit from the off. Probably the most exciting player I've seen us linked with in this position.
Biss also of course came from Lille, as a young African starting out his senior career in Ligue 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here