Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Careers..How important are they?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I'm pretty lucky, my folks have always been involved in the Airline industry so when my footballing career (2 apperances in the Scottish 2nd div) went tits up, I knew I wanted to get involved.

15 years on I run my own company and although its had its up's and downs I always knew this was what I wanted to do.

I think it gives you an advantage to get what you really want from life if you are focused on it early doors.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
How much do you vaue things (house, car, high def TV etc etc) and how much are you worried about how you measure up to other people? If you care a lot about each, then spend fifty years slogging away at a career trying to get as high up as you canand earn as much money as you can, realise that they'll always be someone better off than you and feel like a failure.

If you don't care about these things, then find a job you enjoy, something you have a passion for and which you want to do, and do it. If you spend too much time worrying about what material rewards you want as a result of your job rather than the satisfaction it gives you to being it in the first place you'll never be happy.

Not everyone can find a job they feel that way about, so if you do, hold onto it.

:jester:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
byf said:
I'm 22 and have bounced from job to job never really finding anything that motivates or interests me in any way shape or form. I have tried acting in offices..I have tried estate agency work...Ive even worked on the train tracks doing various rail safety works..that was ok...

Now I'm off to Oz to have an amazing time and hopefully never come back...I know a job is important..But is an actual career..at the end of the day if your job isnt rewarding to the world...ie docter or of something of interest to the individuel then is just doing what you want to do and living anywhere you want and just trying to have a laugh instead of being in the rat race more important.

We live once...and we do it just to have a 3 bed semi..and a nice car and 2.4 children..whats right for 1 might not be right for another, Society dictates unless you do sort yourself out..you will be on the employment scrapheap and pay the price in 10 years...Im willing to take the gamble in order to have fun...am i wrong?

I did exactly what you are doing mate. Go for it.

Although all I want to do now is get back over there!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
hitony said:
The discarded mcburgers are actually tastier than the origanal ones they produce (hey....theres nothing wrong with special brew either !! :D )

The mcburgers is a fair point.... but not special brew - the cheap cider at least tastes reasonable....

- but there are far too many distressed winos/druggies around - I have to go past several every day hanging round for the local hostel to open, so although 22 can be too early to decide on the rest of your life, don't p*ss it all away - everybody needs to love of a good woman/man/sheep and they will all require your cash eventually (I believe Oz has lots of sheep :sheep: :sheep: :love: :love:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
byf said:
I'm 22 and have bounced from job to job never really finding anything that motivates or interests me in any way shape or form. I have tried acting in offices..I have tried estate agency work...Ive even worked on the train tracks doing various rail safety works..that was ok...

Now I'm off to Oz to have an amazing time and hopefully never come back...I know a job is important..But is an actual career..at the end of the day if your job isnt rewarding to the world...ie docter or of something of interest to the individuel then is just doing what you want to do and living anywhere you want and just trying to have a laugh instead of being in the rat race more important.

We live once...and we do it just to have a 3 bed semi..and a nice car and 2.4 children..whats right for 1 might not be right for another, Society dictates unless you do sort yourself out..you will be on the employment scrapheap and pay the price in 10 years...Im willing to take the gamble in order to have fun...am i wrong?

if you are looking for work I might have something for you.

Nothing to stressfull, I just need somebody to run a few errands for me in the Sussex area, predominatly in Brighton/Hove Crawley/Horsham and H.Heath/Burgess Hill areas.

I will supply you with a mobile phone and you will be paid a % according to the value of the order you are delivering.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Barrel of Fun said:
byf, one is very lucky to find their dream job and one that pays well. It took my Dad until he was 45 to get then job he always wanted. He didn't know it at the time, but realised it when he got there. I am 26 and now have a decent job, but I wouldn't say it was my dream. I have always harboured a desire to write comedies, in the mold of Pete McCarthy (RIP) etc.

To be bold is to accomplish.

I would go along with that.

I trained as an accountant and went from audit to acting FD and ended up stressed, unhappy and left with the feeling of " is this all there is?"

This job I have now, in Disaster Recovery, which I have been in for 7 years, is a great job, you get to meet different people every week and I am virtually my own boss.

The only thing I regret is not making better provision for pension...moving about in jobs especially in your thirties really messes up the pension planning, especially if you have lots of little pension schemes dotted around.

I also found that certain events in my life changed me profoundly - losing my Dad when he was only 52 chaged my whole outlook on life. At the end of the day your family, friends and health are all that matters, everything else is mere periphery.

Bry Nylon said:
I get more satisfaction out of one incident than I got in a year in my old job.

:censored: You get satisfaction watching peoples homes burn down?! :censored: People like you make me SICK. About time you grew up and got a proper job.

Last edited:

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
byf said:

I'm 22 as well, got my degree last year and thinking I needed to get into a career I decided on Primary school teaching cos it was something I was fairly interested in and being male, could progress very quickly in. I started a PGCE in September, but withdrew over christmas cos it was really getting me down imagining the rest of my working life revolving around teaching, i really wasnt enjoying it.
My advise is to not rush into anything career wise- if you are in a shit office job at the moment try and just enjoy the fact that you have no responsibilty in your job once you clock off at 5. I'm now a lot happier in a job with no responsbility for a while as well as doing some voluntary work, and I'm planning to apply for an MA in Social Work instead- not the best paid job in the world by any means but I no it's where my passion lies and I firmly believe that doing something you enjoy and have a passion for far outweighs a high salary- after all you do your job 5 days a week.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
How much do you vaue things (house, car, high def TV etc etc) and how much are you worried about how you measure up to other people? If you care a lot about each, then spend fifty years slogging away at a career trying to get as high up as you canand earn as much money as you can, realise that they'll always be someone better off than you and feel like a failure.

If you don't care about these things, then find a job you enjoy, something you have a passion for and which you want to do, and do it. If you spend too much time worrying about what material rewards you want as a result of your job rather than the satisfaction it gives you to being it in the first place you'll never be happy.

Not everyone can find a job they feel that way about, so if you do, hold onto it.

:jester:

What he said

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
List what is important to you in life. For the majority of folks it is likely to be....

Family
Health
Friends
Football
Music etc.

A career is just a means to an end, if it keeps you closer to the things that really matter then fantastic, if it does not, then look for a change.

I trained as an accountant because it was the 'proper' thing to do at the time. Never really enjoyed it, went into training, got fed up of the rat race and went to Uni and took a big pay cut.

Love every minute of it, the students are a good laugh, the hours are fantastic, can do whatever I want as back up and earnings are limited by how arsed I feel on a week to week basis.

Do something that you think you will enjoy, life is not a rehearsal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Put it this way: ever see an Aussie over here worrying about whether he/she should have put in more hours at the office? Of course not. they're FAR too busy waving inflatable kangaroos around at major sporting events.

THREAD CLOSED.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've had dozens of jobs and still haven't found one I've liked. Perhaps it's me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here