Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Careers..How important are they?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I'm 22 and have bounced from job to job never really finding anything that motivates or interests me in any way shape or form. I have tried acting in offices..I have tried estate agency work...Ive even worked on the train tracks doing various rail safety works..that was ok...

Now I'm off to Oz to have an amazing time and hopefully never come back...I know a job is important..But is an actual career..at the end of the day if your job isnt rewarding to the world...ie docter or of something of interest to the individuel then is just doing what you want to do and living anywhere you want and just trying to have a laugh instead of being in the rat race more important.

We live once...and we do it just to have a 3 bed semi..and a nice car and 2.4 children..whats right for 1 might not be right for another, Society dictates unless you do sort yourself out..you will be on the employment scrapheap and pay the price in 10 years...Im willing to take the gamble in order to have fun...am i wrong?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Yeah, bit early to be worrying about settling down, BUT if you want a decent career/living you're gonna need to gain some education or skills at some point.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I was the same as you BYF - i finally found my vocation nearly 4 years ago (now 29) I have a job i love and have recently been made manager - now have a large staffing team and in charge of a multi million pound turnover. My advise is - try everything and then settle where you are happy - the ideal job will come along. I am trained as a tree surgeon, worked on archiology digs for 3 years, worked in bank, retail, as a PA, in IT - now an events manager!!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No each too themselves it is a choice.

I am married with 2 kids and 26th year ex Railway Emloyee this year.

Boring but free rail travel and final salary pension.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Not wrong at all. Just realise that at some point you will have to be able to look after yourself when you get older, and that should your heart suddenly decide to torpedo your aims, morals and values, you may have to compromise them to keep someone else happy.

Is there nothing that you have done, or could envisage doing, that would satisfy you?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I'm so surprised at the comments..fully expected stupid comments and time wasting responses.

Thanks to all who put their points across!

:clap:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
HampshireSeagulls said:
Not wrong at all. Just realise that at some point you will have to be able to look after yourself when you get older, and that should your heart suddenly decide to torpedo your aims, morals and values, you may have to compromise them to keep someone else happy.

Is there nothing that you have done, or could envisage doing, that would satisfy you?

Yes to the question, I would like to gain my Nebosh (health and safety certificate) and use this in a trainee safety position in the rail industry.

Just hoping I can do summit in oz that can be along those lines...Just worries me sometimes if you understand...will I always be the bouncer who cant settle career wise!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
byf, one is very lucky to find their dream job and one that pays well. It took my Dad until he was 45 to get then job he always wanted. He didn't know it at the time, but realised it when he got there. I am 26 and now have a decent job, but I wouldn't say it was my dream. I have always harboured a desire to write comedies, in the mold of Pete McCarthy (RIP) etc.

To be bold is to accomplish.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
byf said:
Yes to the question, I would like to gain my Nebosh (health and safety certificate) and use this in a trainee safety position in the rail industry.

Just hoping I can do summit in oz that can be along those lines...Just worries me sometimes if you understand...will I always be the bouncer who cant settle career wise!

I know people who have degrees and diplomas that they will never use because they have realised, once in the job, that they were training for a job, not a vocation, and there is a difference. I know people that have taken huge pay cuts to get a job that they like (I dropped £18K...!)

Just because it seems "right" to get the qualifications that someone expects you to get, you can find yourself trapped in a world where your qualifications make you useless for anything else (at the same pay level!), so you just keep on keeping on, then you are heading to long service presentations, pension arrangements - before you know it, you have sold your soul for the sake of £75 a week and a carriage clock. To be honest, if you go to Aus you will probably find that their NEBOSH does not line up with ours, but that should not concern you - your main drive should be to get experience, both job- and life-.

Take the experience, get the references and on-job skills, worry about the paperwork later.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Just make sure you don't end up drinking special brew on the street, and rummaging in bins for discarded mcburgers when you're 23.....

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I've always cm eto the conclusion that as long as you have abit of cash in your pocket somewhere to live an can provide for yourself and family then your doing alright. If you quit eenjoy work most of the time then stick at it - not everyone can make loads of cash on a high flying career. Plus alot of the time is the stress of a high profile job worth it.

Do what i do - find the job you can make the most money in for as little effort and hassle as possible.

Curently just started a plastering cousrse at college to learn a skill of some sort then thinking of training as a sparky - just need to get the missus out to work so i can afford the time out to do it.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I had what you would call a "career." V. good salary, 2 company cars, final salary pension scheme, easy job etc etc.
BUT - it bored me stupid. In fact I was wasting my life, getting up each morning and driving to London for a job I didn't believe in, less still cared about.

So I left and joined the Fire Service as a firefighter. Loads of training getting kicked around drill yards by psychotic ex-army instructors; hopeless money; rubbish hours; seeing and dealing with stuff that before I couldn't have even imagined.

BUT - it is the BEST thing I have ever done. I get more satisfaction out of one incident than I got in a year in my old job. I might not have a career anymore, but I feel like I'm making a difference, and to me that is worth more than anything.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I've always fancied joining the police - it's never going to be boring is it? I just don't feel i hav eh eright temprement i'd end up belting some of the scroates within an inch of their lives.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Goring Gull said:
I've always fancied joining the police - it's never going to be boring is it? I just don't feel i hav eh eright temprement i'd end up belting some of the scroates within an inch of their lives.

Heaven help us.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Cheshire Cat said:
Just make sure you don't end up drinking special brew on the street, and rummaging in bins for discarded mcburgers when you're 23.....

The discarded mcburgers are actually tastier than the origanal ones they produce (hey....theres nothing wrong with special brew either !! :D )

Stumpy Tim

Three things I love about life:

Family, Job, Friends.... I must be one of the lucky ones as so many people don't enjoy work. I like the stress, I like pushing myself... just the way I am I suppose. I actually got bored over Xmas & just got drunk a lot, which was a bit boring after a while

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here