Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff Pubs [merged threads]

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
im going where the NSC posse is goin!any ideas on pubs?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From the Mailing List (so not written by me):

Yates'

Not really recommended, simply because it is so close to the ground, and in particular one of the entrance gates. We did actually grab one drink in here, but the pub was simply overloaded! That said, the atmosphere was excellent. A word of warning : On the day we visited, a guy had stood in the doorway for 2 hours, expecting to be the first in when the doors opened. Due to the number of people outside the pub, they opened the fire door at the side, so he then had to queue for another 40 minutes!"

The City Arms

In Quay Street, very near gate 3, sells Brains, sounds like a good choice:- "We did not actually get a drink in here, but it comes highly recommend by loads of the Norwich City fans we spoke to. It was described to us as 'a good friendly pub, with 2 bars, great ale, and large screen TV with sky sports'. it's also ideally located right opposite the entrance to gates 2 and 3."

The Old Arcade

Church St. 2 minutes farther away from the City Arms. Used to be my favourite 25 years ago (!) and was THE pub for rugby matches with yellowing pictures of various taffys clutching odd shaped balls (fnarr fnarr) but I understand its been 'modernised'. Shame. Brains Ale of course;- "Two minutes from the stadium in the City centre is the Old Arcade - an authentic Cardiff pub where you can sup a fine pint of Brains SA (Skull Attack). Get there early for a cracking pint and atmosphere."

The Halfway

This is the other side of the Taff River from the ground but is easily accessible from the North End. Go across Cardiff Bridge walking away from the ground, then turn right into Cathedral road.:- "For a more sedate pint 10 minutes walk from the ground try the Halfway on Cathedral Road. Another top pint of SA lots of local atmosphere with Welsh commonly spoken. Iechyd Da!"

The Glassworks

From gate 3 go along Quay St past the City Arms. Turn right into High St (rather than straight on to the Old Arcade), pass the Market Hall on your left then turn left into Wharton St. Allows Children in, sells grub from 11:30, was CAMRA pub of the year in 2003. Say no more (NB, no Brains!).

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
so that means........

where we meeting.....

???

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I am going here: :shootself

The Good Companions - Countisbury Road - Llanrumney

Deep in the heart of Llanrumney its not best to stumble in hear drunk then
drop the jackpot from one of the machines already ploughed by one of the hundreds
hooligans that frequent this crap Pub.
Sorry, maybe the landlords are great? They are probably too scared to do any improvements
as you can only nail the furniture down so much!!
Ask for a pint, down, then Runnnnnn!! Better still, have a taxi waiting!

http://www.cardiff.ukpub.net/cardiff_east.html

http://www.cardiff.ukpub.net/cardiff_central.html

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Philharmonic St.Mary Street

Well, they must have spent the £650,000 on paint as far as I can see.
The difference after the refurb seems to be minimal, after all anything less than a mill is
not going to buy you much these days. Begs the question why close for 10 weeks at the busiest period of the year for little change?
The lower level seems to be converted into a more chill out, relaxing room, with candles and he like. But maybe that was just Saturday!
The sound system must have improved as the DJ on Wednesday was literally bringing the house down! No joke. We were sitting to the side of the bar, shouting over the sound of the music, quietly sipping a rough pint of Carling when all of a sudden one of the light fixtures fell six feetand smashed into a group of lads standing to our left! (it was big enough to land on all 5 of them) My first thought was now there's a good
If it was me I would have fallen to the floor and made my friends get witness details, but these lads just seem to laugh it off
as part of the events of the night. Amazing how alcohol corrupts the brain!! It was quite funny when the bouncers came
storming in from the door and grabbed all the lads by the scruff of the neck thinking that they had pulled the fixture down themselves!
We do like this place. Always something going on!!

:drink: :drink:

Prince of Wales St.Mary Street
Where as Creation is top dog as a meeting place on the east side of central,
The Prince does the job for the west. It doesn't have to try very hard either. Because of its size, location and a knack for offering a cheap pint people are just
drawn to the place. It has two large floors, with a bar on each. When it gets busy downstairs its worth checking the bar on the 1st floor as it does often get overlooked and you may get served quicker. We often ponder about the no music policy of Wetherspoons pubs, because if you stop and listen in these places you will be deafened by the noise of people just talking!! Must be a headache to work there.
Not the best venue if you are gambling addict. They seem to overcompensate for
the lack of music by putting games machines in every crevice. (up to about 15 so far!)

:drink: :drink:

Last edited:

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
Just spoken to South Wales Police Major Events Unit.

They are not planning to dictate a segregation plan to any pubs. We are expected to use common sense!

A word of warning though, the Prince of Wales Wetherspoons was the one Bristol City fans trashed last time. The Gatekeeper Wetherspoons is closer to the entrances we will be using and is pretty good.

Personally I will be heading for the Old Arcade if it's not already full when I get there!

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Cardiff Pubs

Im sure there was a post on this the other day, but I'll be blowed if I can find the bugger!

Can anyone recommend any decent bars in Cardiff? Both for pre and post match Sunday, and maybe even to watch Bobby single handedly stuff the scum.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I too am waiting for some posts on this issue, come on NSC lets have a meet up point!!!!

:clap2:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I asked this on a thread here earlier today and it sank like a stone.

:nono:

Any ideas????

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
DO NOT GO HERE :shootself

The Good Companions - Countisbury Road - Llanrumney

Deep in the heart of Llanrumney its not best to stumble in hear drunk then
drop the jackpot from one of the machines already ploughed by one of the hundreds
hooligans that frequent this crap Pub.
Sorry, maybe the landlords are great? They are probably too scared to do any improvements
as you can only nail the furniture down so much!!
Ask for a pint, down, then Runnnnnn!! Better still, have a taxi waiting!

http://www.cardiff.ukpub.net/cardiff_east.html

http://www.cardiff.ukpub.net/cardiff_central.html

THESE TWO LOOK ALRIGHT :drink: :drink:

Philharmonic St.Mary Street

Well, they must have spent the £650,000 on paint as far as I can see.
The difference after the refurb seems to be minimal, after all anything less than a mill is
not going to buy you much these days. Begs the question why close for 10 weeks at the busiest period of the year for little change?
The lower level seems to be converted into a more chill out, relaxing room, with candles and he like. But maybe that was just Saturday!
The sound system must have improved as the DJ on Wednesday was literally bringing the house down! No joke. We were sitting to the side of the bar, shouting over the sound of the music, quietly sipping a rough pint of Carling when all of a sudden one of the light fixtures fell six feetand smashed into a group of lads standing to our left! (it was big enough to land on all 5 of them) My first thought was now there's a good
If it was me I would have fallen to the floor and made my friends get witness details, but these lads just seem to laugh it off
as part of the events of the night. Amazing how alcohol corrupts the brain!! It was quite funny when the bouncers came
storming in from the door and grabbed all the lads by the scruff of the neck thinking that they had pulled the fixture down themselves!
We do like this place. Always something going on!!

Prince of Wales St.Mary Street
Where as Creation is top dog as a meeting place on the east side of central,
The Prince does the job for the west. It doesn't have to try very hard either. Because of its size, location and a knack for offering a cheap pint people are just
drawn to the place. It has two large floors, with a bar on each. When it gets busy downstairs its worth checking the bar on the 1st floor as it does often get overlooked and you may get served quicker. We often ponder about the no music policy of Wetherspoons pubs, because if you stop and listen in these places you will be deafened by the noise of people just talking!! Must be a headache to work there.
Not the best venue if you are gambling addict. They seem to overcompensate for
the lack of music by putting games machines in every crevice. (up to about 15 so far!)

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
There you go - despite Robbos interventions we got some response.

Angel Arms for Saturday you say? Good enough for me...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think I might head for Y Mochyn Du, the Welsh-speaking pub near Sophia Gardens. Sounds good to me:

"On Gerddi Sophia (Sophia Gardens) in Pontcanna, the Mochyn Du is probably one of the best public houses in Cardiff, and known for its strong Welsh-speaking atmosphere.

The Mochyn Du is located opposite the Institute for Sport and the Glamorgan Cricket fields. It's one of my favourite Cardiff pubs for several reasons. It's got a massive beer garden given its proximity to the CBD, serves good bar meals and has a neat selection of beers (although the Hoegarden is a bit dear, IMHO).

Furthermore, it's one of the few pubs in Cardiff where you are 99.9% certain to hear the language of heaven - I mean Cymraeg/Welsh - on a regular basis!

It's a popular haunt with the mainly Welsh-speaking residents of Pontcanna and Welsh speakers throughout Cardiff. If you want to visit a genuinely Welsh pub while in Cardiff, go there!"

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
I have been out and about in Cardiff today. The Prince of Wales say they will be for Bristil City only. The Gatekeeper Wetherspoons will be for us.

None of the other pubs seem to have any worries about separating the two sets of fans but it looks like those at the North (Cardiff Castle) side of the stadium would rather we went in and those to the South would rather Brizzle fans went in. Seems to make sense but I get the impression the police are relying on the common sense of the fans!

I will be heading to the Old Arcade between the stadium and the city centre. They are not worried who goes in but will not be serving food. Good local beer though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here