Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff Parking...is this worth considering ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I gather getting in and out of Cardiff City Centre by car is going to be a nightmare. Our party is kicking around with the idea of parking on the outskirts of Cardiff and getting a train the last couple of stops in to the City Centre...Dunno if this is going to be worth it or not, really. Anyone else already had the Millennium Experience who's tried a stunt like this ? Laughing Bluebird ?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I was thinking about parking in Newport or Chepstow and getting the train the last bit of the journey. My Mrs wants me to escape as quickly as possible in case the baby decides to come!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went there for the LDV Final with Brizz. There are loads of M4 junctions for Cardiff - we went past most of them (including all those signed as being for the Park and Ride) and came in from the West. Parked up in a car park that was about a 10 minute walk to the castle and main drinking area. Easy stroll back after the game and traffic out was not too bad at all.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm told that you get directed off the motorway into car parks outside the town centre anyway - the car parks are segregated according to your club - and then get park'n'ridden into town. Apparently it all works very well.

A park and ride - probably the only aspect on that day that will have something in common with Withdean.

I spoke to a woman at the stadium and I asked about parking at Newport (300 car spaces) and getting the train in. She said that the trains will be totally rammed by the time they get to Newport so you might have trouble getting on. She strongly recommended the park and ride, but said why not go for a beer or bite to eat after the game and wait for the queues to go down as it will be very busy.
I'm still tempted by the train option though.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You don't need to bother with Newport, Cardiff is the same size as Brighton and everywhere is walkable so if you're willing to park outside the 'controlled parking zone' around the city and walk 1 or 1.5 miles max into the city then there's no problem. Loadsa parking, although I'd go north of the city centre rather than south if you want to keep your hub caps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think we'll stick to the Park & Ride option then - looks like there are a number of them running, so it shouldn't be necessary to fanny about with trains.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am doing park and ride - toyed with the idea of driving to local train station but they will packed with BCFC fans

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
To be honest, I have no idea of how well the Park & Ride services work, but the reports are pretty favourable.

As for parking on the outskirts of the city and getting a train in the rest of the way, the difficulty there is that many services to the suburbs either don't run on Sundays or run very infrequently.

I live in the north of Cardiff and our local service, the Coryton line, which serves the Birchgrove, Rhiwbina, Whitchurch and Coryton areas, doesn't run at all on Sundays.

However, the bus services here are pretty good and they do run on Sundays. If you wanted to park on the outskirts of the city and get a bus the rest of the way into the city centre it wouldn't prove too difficult.

If you decide to do this, I would recommend parking up in one of the suburbs to the north of Cardiff such as Thornhill, Llanishen, Rhiwbina, Whitchurch, Birchgrove or Heath. There is plenty of parking available in these areas and you'll be unlikely to find your car on bricks when you return to it!

The buses into the city from these areas mainly follow the Caerphilly Road / North Road route. Buses are fairly frequent on these main roads, the cost of a return is generally something like £2. The journey should take you no more than 20 minutes or so., and the buses from these areas will drop you right in the city centre.

The website for more info on these services is www.cardiffbus.com

GlynTheMilk

May 24, 2004
Wrexham
I've travelled to Wales games from London by train many a time, and the Newport option might be a bit crazy. There mightn't be many people travelling from Newport, but when the train comes it will be full of Brizzle I would imagine. Have tried the park and ride and it's really effective. Have also done the parking up on a sidestreet, although I would recommend going past Cardiff on the motorway and approaching it from the other direction - the streets were quieter there. I'll just be parking on my mate's drive in Roath on the Friday and aint moving it. So I'm laughing really. Anywhere near the city centre will be absolute chaos, trust me.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Used the park and ride when I went.The car park is straight off the motorway and the buses just keep coming in and out.Really easy to use and getting back was easy aswell.The car parks and coach exits are sign posted off the motorway.Brighton and Bristol will have different exits,well organised.The station will be a nightmare queue to get on it.Getting away from Cardiff will be a real nightmare until clear of Bristol.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Park up by Ninian Park and then walk back. It is about a 20 minute walk but you will be really close to the motorway network and will not have to bother with the park and rides.

Just remove all stickers etc...

Jumper

May 25, 2004
Bristol
parking & trains

all trains from bristol booked
this is from there website

Just spent the last 2 hours trying to book a seat on a train from Bristol to cardiff,with no luck No problem getting train to bristol from my end,but its booked solid at Bristol,oh well have to drive up,no cider for me then!

drove there last year no probs go early load to do

I used to live up in the valleys when I went to uni and had the idea of parking up in treforrest or such like and getting a train down to Cathys(probably the best to get off at to aviod central station! Just a thought although park and ride does sound like a good option!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here