Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff by Car?

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
I am going to be making my way to ninian park in my motor and, if i recall correctly remember a car park outside the ground, however I expect this to be full and was wondering if anyone has ideas for parking?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Apprentl yit's okay if you get there about 1:30 which is when we're aiming for. Look at TLB's thread a bit down the page....

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Directions For Those Driving Straight To The Ground

Exit the M4 at Junction 33 and join the A4232. Exit the A4232 at the second exit, which is sign-posted: Cardiff (Leckwith) Athletics Stadium. You will be able to see Ninian Park to your left shortly before this exit. Stay in the left-hand lane on the slip road and join Leckwith Road. The entrance to the club car park is about 150 yards on your right.

Car Park Details

The club car park is very large and costs £2-50 per car. It opens at 1-00pm and is usually very busy by around 2-15pm. There is a separate section for visiting coaches and minibuses, but all cars (home and away fans) park up together. The car park itself is much-improved since Albion's last visit in 2001. Most of it is now covered by tarmac and there are security cameras and floodlights at various intervals. I have been reliably informed that there has been no trouble at all in the club car park for several seasons now.

Street Parking

Parking space in the streets surrounding Ninian Park is very limited, and many of the streets in the neighbouring Canton and Grangetown areas are restricted to resident permit holders. There are some parking spots available in these areas if you arrive early enough, but they are usually taken before 2-00pm.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
For the play-off final I parked at Taff's Well and got the train in. You should be able to get a train to Ninian Park from there (check the timetable though as not all the trains go that way).

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
if you get in the car park try to park as near to the away turnstile part of the ground as possible- the Brighton coaches will be nr the away turnstile. This will mean you have less distance to travel if it is naughty afterwards.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Stinky Kat said:
if you get in the car park try to park as near to the away turnstile part of the ground as possible- the Brighton coaches will be nr the away turnstile. This will mean you have less distance to travel if it is naughty afterwards.

And where is that?

From memory it's the far right hand corner from the entrance. Am I right?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
As I remember (2001 last time I was at Ninian) it is far rhs of car park. You should see the red Brighton coaches. Laughin Bluebird will know for definate

BlueBird

Feb 10, 2005
"This will mean you have less distance to travel if it is naughty afterwards"

It aint gonna get naughty afterwards, Cardiff v Brighton it's hardly WW3 material !!
Hopefully when we get our new ground our image will improve (fingers crossed)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I agree with you BlueBird. It should be fine.

I was actually thinking of parking nearer the exit in order to spend less time in the car park after the game. Mind you, I won't be in charge of the car, so it'll only be a suggestion, like.

Am I right in thinking the exit is actually the way you come in, or am I getting confused? After the play off final, we managed to get out the other end somehow and avoid the big queue, just driving round the block instead. Mind you, we found a queue soon enough that day!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
DO NOT (REPEAT) DO NOT park in the car park over the road from the ground. That is where I parked the last time I went there, and it's where me and three of my mates ended up with a shoe-ing before the game after getting jumped by loads of Burberry-wearing valleys boys.

Park around the streets, it's much better.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Seagull73 said:
DO NOT (REPEAT) DO NOT park in the car park over the road from the ground. That is where I parked the last time I went there, and it's where me and three of my mates ended up with a shoe-ing before the game after getting jumped by loads of Burberry-wearing valleys boys. Park around the streets, it's much better.

That was September 2001.

It is now February 2005.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
In September 2001 the car park had no security cameras or floodlights. It didn't have a seperate area for away coaches and minibuses. And it wasn't policed to the level it is now.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It didn't need floodlights, it was broad day light. And I was referring to driving a private car, which I assume means that you wouldn't be able to use the away area?

As for the police, well they might as well have not been there, didn't really seem to matter what the police presence was.

And yes, in case you are wondering, I am extremely bitter about the whole thing. Having worked down in Cardiff for over a year, I have lots of friends whom I would normally have gone to see, but it's put me off.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting don't go cos we should have fans going, and some people aren't put off by that, just don't park there if you want to increase your chances of getting in and out in one piece.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Your experience was an unfortunate one, but the advice you are giving your own supporters is poor. The regular problems during the 2001/02 season came to a head with the Leeds cup game. Since then the club has worked with the police and the council to improve things and, although nobody is pretending things are perfect, the situation certainly has improved.

The streets outside Ninian Park are now a lot safer for away fans, and there have been no problems in the car park for several seasons. I suspect the CCTV cameras have played a big part in that.

In no way will parking a car in the Canton or Grangetown areas be safer for visiting fans than parking in the club car park, which is very different now to how it was when you last visited.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Your experience was an unfortunate one, but the advice you are giving your own supporters is poor. The regular problems during the 2001/02 season came to a head with the Leeds cup game. Since then the club has worked with the police and the council to improve things and, although nobody is pretending things are perfect, the situation certainly has improved.

The streets outside Ninian Park are now a lot safer for away fans, and there have been no problems in the car park for several seasons. I suspect the CCTV cameras have played a big part in that.

In no way will parking a car in the Canton or Grangetown areas be safer for visiting fans than parking in the club car park, which is very different now to how it was when you last visited.

Most of the problem is the boys from the valleys, I could tell that by the accent, which as you know is a much stronger Welsh accent than Cardiff. Is it true there are loads of banning orders on these guys now?

BTW, I had heard that things had got better generally from my mates down there, but that there are still got groups loitering in that general vacinity(?), but I guess that can happen anywhere.

BlueBird

Feb 10, 2005
exactly TLB, this is the kind of thing we have to put up with all the time, stories such as a few years ago such and such happened. I appreciate that any kind of shoeing leaves a mental mark on the receiver I feel that we cannot be judged on past events as past events have gone and can never be changed.
i regret the above incident happened and if i was in that position i would also feel bitter BUT as has been said already things have improved greatly and the grund itself and immediate surround are prob the safest places in Cardiff, such is the OTT policing and surveilence (excuse spelling)
Hope all that come enjoy the game and experience :)

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
There have been an awful lot of banning orders in recent years. We now have more fans banned from our ground than any other club in the league.

The club was left with no option but to make a major effort to improve the hooligan situation by the council. The former Lord Mayor told the club that it would not get permission for the new stadium unless things improved considerably in and around Ninian Park.

As I've said, the CCTV cameras have certainly had an impact. There are lots of them in and around the ground and the club car park now, and they have had a positive effect. But the policing and stewarding has also improved considerably. The team in charge of policing at Ninian these days have been in position since the end of the 01/02 season (I think), and they seem far more clued-up.

Nobody is pretending things are wonderful here. They aren't. The club has the reputation it has with good reason. But things have definitely moved forward since your last visit, and there have been no major incidents of any description either in or around the ground for the last three seasons. And that's encouraging considering the numbers of travelling fans that some Championship clubs have brought with them in the last year or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here