Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff and Swansea

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If they were part of the Welsh FA I'd tell them to do one. But they're part of the English FA and have been for years. So I'll leave them be.

Until it comes to buying players from Swansea, then you need international clearance as they're not an English club

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You stating it is not the "English Football League" is an odd one. The FA Logo on their website strangely though, has the England badge as part of the design

It isn't and LB is entirely correct.

There is no "English League" irrespective of logo is used on the website.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Should Cardiff (possibly) and Swansea really be taking the places of English teams in the Premier League.? To my mind they are a FIFA designated country in their own right and should be in the Welsh league. These two teams are denying teams like the Albion the chance of competing at the highest level.

Not having decent strikers is what will deny us that privelage, McSmudger missed another sitter today and Barnes did fcuk all after coming on for Dobbie

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It isn't and LB is entirely correct.

There is no "English League" irrespective of logo is used on the website.

Oh. Well I know that's not it's title. However, maybe we should appeal our quota for English teams qualifying for European places then

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the problem only arises because UEFA have rules and organised its membership along lines that dont recognise how countries organise themselves. regrading the UEFA decision over Cardiff, the FA Cup and UEFA qualification, they dont seem to have any issue with Monaco, so rather more pragmatic than the grand gesture implied, the precedent was well established. how would UEFA respond if Catalonia gains independence with Barcelona still playing in the Spanish league?

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not having decent strikers is what will deny us that privelage, McSmudger missed another sitter today and Barnes did fcuk all after coming on for Dobbie

How is that relevant to the conversation? Go to bed you miserable sod.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh. Well I know that's not it's title. However, maybe we should appeal our quota for English teams qualifying for European places then

Couldn't care less what UEFA think. The question was about Cardiff and Swansea and the rather tired argument about a non existent English only league.

Yawn.....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Cardiff fans don't know the words to men of Harlech in the same way we don't know the words to GOBTS.

Makes them alright by me.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Couldn't care less what UEFA think. The question was about Cardiff and Swansea and the rather tired argument about a non existent English only league.

Yawn.....

Well, with respect, Uefa carry more clout than yourself though. If you are a Welsh team(or Scottish or Irish for that matter) you should be playing in that league. It seems all Cardiff & Swansea done was exploit their standing. Was not that long ago they played the Welsh cup but participated in this league. Smacks of hypocrisy as far as I am
Concerned

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Yep. Their standing as teams that, exactly like the Albion, started in the Southern League and moved on to the Football League.

Really? Is that the same Brighton playing in their correct geographic league or just us slotting into a convenient one.

Really? Is that the same Brighton playing in their correct geographic league or just us slotting into a convenient one.
There was no "slotting into a convenient league". The fact is that, in 1920, all of the teams that were playing in the First Division of the Southern League were transferred to the newly created Football League Third Division. Brighton & Hove Albion, Cardiff City, Merthyr Town, Newport County and Swansea Town were five of those teams.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
There was no "slotting into a convenient league". The fact is that, in 1920, all of the teams that were playing in the First Division of the Southern League were transferred to the newly created Football League Third Division. Brighton & Hove Albion, Cardiff City, Merthyr Town, Newport County and Swansea Town were five of those teams.

I do not concede to that bit of history either way. In the early 90's the Welsh teams were invited to play in the newly formed Welsh League to which they turned down(I wonder why that is $$$$$$). In every way it is an English league governed by the English FA. It is a strange anomaly the the Welsh teams below the top 4 divisions are governed by the FAW. It also smacks of hypocrisy by said clubs. So, should they be allowed in a "Foreign" league, well, no. However, i doubt it would be wise to challenge their standing in modern football on commercial & legal grounds. You cannot simply "remove" Cardiff or Swansea from our league system. Funny however that the sale of Ryan Harley from Swansea to Brighton was subject to "International clearance". Hardly makes sense does it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nearly 9 years living in Carmarthenshire taught me one thing that in that part of Wales Cardiff and Swansea are considered English anyway

I do not concede to that bit of history either way. In the early 90's the Welsh teams were invited to play in the newly formed Welsh League to which they turned down(I wonder why that is $$$$$$).
You seem to be confusing an invitation to play in the Welsh League with an instruction to accept expulsion from leagues that teams have been playing in for the best part of 100 years.

I dare say the Sussex County League would be a bigger competition if the Albion, Crawley Town, Lewes and Bognor Regis Town played in it. But I doubt if either the clubs or the fans would be tempted by the offer.

And don't forget ... the FAW also tried to impose a sanction on teams that wouldn't play inn the Welsh League (Colwyn Bay and Newport County, for example) that they would have to play outside Wales if they wanted to continue in their current leagues. That was outrageous and was eventually thrown out by the High Court. But it did mean a few years of exile, in places like Ellesmere Port and Moreton-in-Marsh, while the "offending" clubs fought the case.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here