Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Card charges - excessive charges to be banned next year

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
its a fee for using the processing software, which includes the CC/debt card fee. its a fixedd fee per transaction, you can easily see how the club is subsidising somewhere. if you brought say 4 tickets on CC with 2% fee, postage and envelope, thats a cost of well over £2.

why should customers subsidize the use of the software that produces the tickets that we buy?

In waitrose this morning the buggers added on £2 on to my shopping when i challenged this they said it was to help subsidize the stocking of the shelves and general maintenance of the building.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Given that I pay with a DEBIT card, and no tickets are actually produced or posted (just added to our smart cards), they are making £1.80 on that transaction, though. On others they'll lose out though, and its a lot simpler to charger everybody the same.

£1.80 minus whatever the software royalty charge is for the transaction as well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not going to get too wound up over TWO POUNDS, and at least as insider says, they are charging it per transaction, rather than per ticket.

Given that I pay with a DEBIT card, and no tickets are actually produced or posted (just added to our smart cards), they are making £1.80 on that transaction, though. On others they'll lose out though, and its a lot simpler to charger everybody the same.

Not withstanding the fact they have to employ someone to actually do the transaction so how is that cost covered ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not withstanding the fact they have to employ someone to actually do the transaction so how is that cost covered ?

Er, that's ME isn't it, when I buy them online?

And general staff costs would be factored into the cost of goods. It costs them more to pay the physical ticket office staff, yet if I go there in person I'm not charged the fee. So your justification is totally flawed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
why should customers subsidize the use of the software that produces the tickets that we buy?

There's an exchange in The West Wing when they are talking about the cost of drugs I can't remember the precise exchange, but simply put it goes a little like:

-A pill cost 10 cents to make, but they charge $10
-The second pill costs 10 cents, the first pill costs $30m

The point being all the research and development that goes into finding a pill that works, with few side effects is so costly, that the $10 per pill is a way of spreading that research cost out to ensure that the best pills are available.

Obviously, the software for the ticket is not as expensive to develop, but the same sort of parallels are there: the cost of developing the product is perhaps too high for one off payment, so lower that one-off payment and charge per transaction. They are also then on call should there be issues with the system.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Er, that's ME isn't it, when I buy them online?

And general staff costs would be factored into the cost of goods. It costs them more to pay the physical ticket office staff, yet if I go there in person I'm not charged the fee. So your justification is totally flawed.

Really, I'll leave it at that lest an insult again

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

In waitrose this morning the buggers added on £2 on to my shopping when i challenged this they said it was to help subsidize the stocking of the shelves and general maintenance of the building.

so you'd rather they add £1 to the cost of tickets? fair enough, if you'd rather have the costs hidden, it would save the club this grief over the subject. im just highlighting its not a CC fee and its hardly profiteering.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When I had my shop, as a trader I was charged twice. Once for the transaction from customer to card company (RBS), and a second one for the movement of funds from RBS to my bank account. The total came to about 81p per customer transaction whether by credit or debit card.

Amex charged a flat £4.40.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The last few tickets I've bought only have a £1 booking fee. Not £2 anymore.

Talking of Ryanair, it's outrageous that he charges £10 per person per flight if you use a debit card. But then again you can fly to cork for 2 euro! So I'd rather have real pricing and get rid of all this booking fee crap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here