Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car w/ Scrappage on Finance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
First time driver, just passed test. Have car. It's rubbish. Am looking to get scrappage allowance and get a new car on finance.

Any links to good sites for the above?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As Gazwag says, you have to have owned the car for at least 12 months.

Some of the car being scrapped is criminal. some good classics,

now you will say if its a a classic it would be worth more, but good 50's/ 60 cars not in pristine condition but road worthy an ideal for restoration would still only be worth less than a grand, so are being offered in and being scrapped. restored much much more.
shame.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Seems like a good scheme in principle, but I wonder how many people running a twelve year old car can afford £4/5 000 for a new discounted car ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As Gazwag says, you have to have owned the car for at least 12 months.

Some of the car being scrapped is criminal. some good classics,

now you will say if its a a classic it would be worth more, but good 50's/ 60 cars not in pristine condition but road worthy an ideal for restoration would still only be worth less than a grand, so are being offered in and being scrapped. restored much much more.
shame.

Upside is that anyone with a classic in good condition will see the prices start to strengthen

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have you had the car for at least a year

Yes had it 3/4 years, I know for certain it qualifies for scrappage. The reason I want to scrap it is I bought it for £350, MOT will cost £430, and it's just not worth keeping on.

For that I can get some OK cars on finance for around £4,995, due to the scrappage thing.

But just wondered if anyone had links to especially good deals, or particularly good sites or garages locally?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Yes had it 3/4 years, I know for certain it qualifies for scrappage. The reason I want to scrap it is I bought it for £350, MOT will cost £430, and it's just not worth keeping on.

For that I can get some OK cars on finance for around £4,995, due to the scrappage thing.

But just wondered if anyone had links to especially good deals, or particularly good sites or garages locally?
A fellow work colleague has just ordered a 1.0 liter Kia (i do not know what model) .
It was £4400 on the road with a 3 year warranty (£35 a year to tax)i dont know what finance deals they had all i know was he could only have in White for that price.
He bought it from Kia at Washington about 7 miles north of Worthong just off a24.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Gotta remember that the car companies pick which cars the offer applies to. Also whats your budget for insurance? If you've only just passed your test then the insurance will be very high. They won't even insure you on some nice 1.6s, so you'll have to get a cheap small engined car. Which you will likely get bored of in a year or two. So maybe just best buying a cheap run around? And upgrade after a couple of years?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
One thing you gotta really consider is that a kia somethingorother for £4k will be an absolute horrible shoebox.

You're probably better taking it down the scrappy yourself and buying a slightly older Ford Focus for £3k as they are excellent cars and you won't suffer a massive hit on depreciation that poverty shoeboxes get spanked with.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
One thing you gotta really consider is that a kia somethingorother for £4k will be an absolute horrible shoebox.

You're probably better taking it down the scrappy yourself and buying a slightly older Ford Focus for £3k as they are excellent cars and you won't suffer a massive hit on depreciation that poverty shoeboxes get spanked with.

I would personally have a Focus over a little Kia,but for £4400 otr,3 year warranty and £35 a year to tax its fair to say thats cheap motoring.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I would personally have a Focus over a little Kia,but for £4400 otr,3 year warranty and £35 a year to tax its fair to say thats cheap motoring.

well no not really, you can still get a quality car for under a grand and MOT/Repair it for 4-5 years if not more before you spend £4400 on it! Plus it'd be much better than a 1litre pile of wank which is about as fast as cycling anyway!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
well no not really, you can still get a quality car for under a grand and MOT/Repair it for 4-5 years if not more before you spend £4400 on it! Plus it'd be much better than a 1litre pile of wank which is about as fast as cycling anyway!

Again i agree,my daughter has recently passed her test and bought a Ford KA for £700 with a years mot and tax and hopefully we can keep that going for 2-3 yeras at least.
I only mentioned the Kia as an example to Melletrons thread and £4400 for a brand new car with 3 year warranty represents good value imo.
My work colleague who orderd one recently says that since the scrappage scheme was introduced ,Kia have sold over 5000 of that particular model in White but as i have previously said its not for me.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing

What gets me is people trading in their perfectly good cars to buy a car with '09' on the plate and £100 a year less in tax... but paying £5000 on top of the trade in value :/

Again i agree,my daughter has recently passed her test and bought a Ford KA for £700 with a years mot and tax and hopefully we can keep that going for 2-3 yeras at least.
I only mentioned the Kia as an example to Melletrons thread and £4400 for a brand new car with 3 year warranty represents good value imo.
My work colleague who orderd one recently says that since the scrappage scheme was introduced ,Kia have sold over 5000 of that particular model in White but as i have previously said its not for me.

I wouldn't say it's good value, especially if you get it on finance as the Kia will be worth about 2K after a couple of years so you'll take a massive depreciation hit whereas a Focus already has lost the lion's share of it's depreciation.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
What gets me is people trading in their perfectly good cars to buy a car with '09' on the plate and £100 a year less in tax... but paying £5000 on top of the trade in value :/

I wouldn't say it's good value, especially if you get it on finance as the Kia will be worth about 2K after a couple of years so you'll take a massive depreciation hit whereas a Focus already has lost the lion's share of it's depreciation.

As i said on my original post,i do not know if there are any deals on finance.
Again i agree with you that after a couple of years it might only be worth a couple of thou,however there will still be a year left on the warranty.
Melletron was after a deal on a new car under 5k so i came up with an option,as i previously said its not for me but no one else has yet to come up with an alternative option for a new car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here