Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Tracking Devices

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What-ho chaps. I have just been informed by my insurance company that my new car isn't insured for "theft or attempted theft" unless it is fitted with an approved tracking device.

Someone on here must have some knowledge of these things - it looks like there is an initial installation payment, then yearly subscriptions thereafter. Any tips / info / advice would be welcome.

/td

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You have a simple choice, get a tracker fitted or find a new insurer, what sort of car have you got ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I had a tracker installed when I got my new car in April, I can remember if it was a one off payment covering three years, I know I havent got to pay a yearly fee.

Its interesting that insurance companies are forcing new car owners to purchase a tracker, I asked Direct Line if I could have a discount as I had one fitted but they said discounts were only available on high performance cars.

I wonder who owns the tracker companies, is it insurance companies by chance.

Sorry doesnt really help you as I cannot off the top of my head remember who it is with or the cost, but I will check later at home.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I had a tracker installed when I got my new car in April, I can remember if it was a one off payment covering three years, I know I havent got to pay a yearly fee.

Its interesting that insurance companies are forcing new car owners to purchase a tracker, I asked Direct Line if I could have a discount as I had one fitted but they said discounts were only available on high performance cars.

I wonder who owns the tracker companies, is it insurance companies by chance.

Sorry doesnt really help you as I cannot off the top of my head remember who it is with or the cost, but I will check later at home.

It was Direct Line - have been with them for years. On their web site they do show one tracking company in the info section (Tracker), but when you do a quote they show a long list of (presumably) approved ones.

The car BTW, is an 07 Merc SLK convertible.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You have a simple choice, get a tracker fitted or find a new insurer, what sort of car have you got ?

Good advice, I am guessing that having a tracker fitted would only apply to cars over a certain value, say luxury or high-performance...if some scrote wants to steal my car, current book value around £4k, I don't want to see it again!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We have had them here for a while. Shop around - my insurance company here fitted it and paid for it themselves, so maybe there is one in the UK that will do it. But then perhaps car theft has to reach epidemic proportions for that to happen in the UK!! I actually have no idea where it is in the car as they dont even trust the car owners!!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Good advice, I am guessing that having a tracker fitted would only apply to cars over a certain value, say luxury or high-performance...if some scrote wants to steal my car, current book value around £4k, I don't want to see it again!

i believe it is more because of the newer way to steal cars, ie with the keys they pinch from inside your house, usually stolen to order to clone a write off

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
We have had them here for a while. Shop around - my insurance company here fitted it and paid for it themselves, so maybe there is one in the UK that will do it. But then perhaps car theft has to reach epidemic proportions for that to happen in the UK!! I actually have no idea where it is in the car as they dont even trust the car owners!!

there is a story from years ago involving a well known professional car thief from brighton, a tracker and his ecsort cosworth where the thief had to get a tracker fitted to his own cossie and told the technician where not to put it because it was too easy to get at, technician says "yeah, yeah if you can find/disable it i'll relocate it afterwards". technician proceeds to spend ages fitting it, only for the theif to spend all of about 30 seconds finding it and ripping it out then handing it to the technician............

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It was Direct Line - have been with them for years. On their web site they do show one tracking company in the info section (Tracker), but when you do a quote they show a long list of (presumably) approved ones.

The car BTW, is an 07 Merc SLK convertible.

I can easily see why they'd want a tracker on that, nice car :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here