Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car Service

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do very little mileage in my dinky toy Aygo (about 4,000 a year) but I like to get an annual service.

I have been going to a mechanic, lovely chap, but there never seems to be much wrong with cars whenever I take them in.

It may sound a little odd, but sometimes I wonder if bills were kept low because he wanted to keep appreciative custom. I say this because one of the cars was an absolute horror that went back and forth a few times. I mean, if there is something wrong, or likely to go wrong soon, I want to know about it.

Anyway, I have decided to, reluctantly, change mechanics. Can anyone recommend a good honest mechanic that they have used for sometime for a reliable service ?

Much appreciated in advance.

I live in the Queen's Park/Hanover area.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I do very little mileage in my dinky toy Aygo (about 4,000 a year) but I like to get an annual service.

I have been going to a mechanic, lovely chap, but there never seems to be much wrong with cars whenever I take them in.

It may sound a little odd, but sometimes I wonder if bills were kept low because he wanted to keep appreciative custom. I say this because one of the cars was an absolute horror that went back and forth a few times. I mean, if there is something wrong, or likely to go wrong soon, I want to know about it.

Anyway, I have decided to, reluctantly, change mechanics. Can anyone recommend a good honest mechanic that they have used for sometime for a reliable service ?

Is he an older chap? I have a regular older mechanic cheap and good for basic stuff although now sadly modern technology isn’t his forte tbh.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Close to you - try Neil at Madeira Garage in May Road near the top of Elm Grove, Grants Garage in kemp town, Hanover garage in Lincoln Street, or a little bit further Baz at Providence in Roedale Road

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
On a slightly different tack, I have 2 year old C3 with 16000 on the clock. Year 1, I returned to the main dealer after price checking and gaining advice and gave it the £200 small service as only 6,000 miles. This time I checked with my old Peugeot main dealer in Lancing, as it's basically Peugeot Citroen and they advised a small service would again suffice at £209. I asked the same questions to the Citroen main dealer in Portslade who sold me the car as new, and they advised a Citroen service at over £500 described as something like a Citroen In Warranty Service to maintain the warranty. Apparently a standard service elsewhere or with them won't maintain the warranty. I asked him to share the spec for the In Warranty service so I can compare as he listed a lot of work, parts etc. He promised to email by the end of the day, but hasn't done so. The price gap is huge and I smell BS and misselling but maybe someone professional can advise. Meanwhile I'll keep googling and plugging through the Citroen website.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
On a slightly different tack, I have 2 year old C3 with 16000 on the clock. Year 1, I returned to the main dealer after price checking and gaining advice and gave it the £200 small service as only 6,000 miles. This time I checked with my old Peugeot main dealer in Lancing, as it's basically Peugeot Citroen and they advised a small service would again suffice at £209. I asked the same questions to the Citroen main dealer in Portslade who sold me the car as new, and they advised a Citroen service at over £500 described as something like a Citroen In Warranty Service to maintain the warranty. Apparently a standard service elsewhere or with them won't maintain the warranty. I asked him to share the spec for the In Warranty service so I can compare as he listed a lot of work, parts etc. He promised to email by the end of the day, but hasn't done so. The price gap is huge and I smell BS and misselling but maybe someone professional can advise. Meanwhile I'll keep googling and plugging through the Citroen website.
They are talking rubbish. You can get your car serviced anywhere and still maintain the warranty - the only condition being that "authorised" parts are used i.e. in your case Citroen parts.

Last edited:

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
They are talking rubbish. You can get your car serviced anywhere and still maintain the warranty - the only condition being that "authorised" parts are use i.e. in your case Citroen parts.
Also, check the small print for what's included within the warranty and for how long. If you have a 5 or 7 year warranty, lots of stuff will only be covered for a year. Not much is covered for the entire warranty period - At least on my previous 2 cars.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Apologies to the Citroen dealership. The spec has now arrived. It includes Drain and refill brake fluid and braking circuit maintenance, same for engine oil, oil filter, cylinder housing plug seal and screen wash, and pollen filter maintenance including carbon filter and anti allergenic filter. I know the engine oil is very expensive on these cars, but struggling a bit with the need for all this after just 2 yrs.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Much the same here, mileage wise, take my Yaris to Yeomans main dealer, a little more expensive but you get what you pay for especially in the knowledge that all parts required will be Toyota approved and they give the car a clean after the service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here