Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car scrapping question

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Can anyone help me with a bit of advice on car scrapping?

My Renault Megane has just died and I'm told it's not worth trying to repair because the cam belt's come adrift and there's likely valve damage. The breaker's yard will come and tow it away and give me £30 or so. But is that all it's worth?

Although it's an old car (2000) it's in reasonably good structural condition with alloy wheels etc. How much should I be looking to get for it? Is it worth ebaying it as a spares or repair? Or worth ringing around people who advertise for scrap cars?

Any help much appreciated.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Ebay it - you never know - as long as you're honest about the description - you may find a mechanic who will buy it do the work himself and flog it on....

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
defo if you got the space break it and sell parts on e bay, door mirrors alone will get you £30.

just a few years ago scrap was so low you had to pay them to take it away.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
give PCR in lancing a try, theyy break Peugeot, Citroen and Renaults, possibly be able to supply/fit 2nd hand engine???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dont let the breakers yard give you £30 for it , they'll probably get about £300 in selling the spare parts.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I wouldn't count 2000 as being an old car, mine is an 02 and I reckon it has at least another 10 years in it!

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Dont let the breakers yard give you £30 for it , they'll probably get about £300 in selling the spare parts.

I collect scrap cars for a living.
Megane spares aren't worth a wank.
You'll see loads of stuff on eBay with "Buy-It-Now" prices but the reality is not much of it sells. I do all my spares at 99p start but when you consider the hassle of dismantling, photographing, uploading, writing the listing, packaging & posting, not to mention the messers you have to deal with along the way you regularly wonder why you bother.
£30 is very tight though.
I'll come & get it & give £70.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Look in the Friday - AD alot of firms give a minumum £150 for scrap cars. Metal is still worth a bit of money in the market. Dont get rid of for less than £100

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
My car was a 2000 reg until the MUTHAFUCKING DVLA ***** crushed it despite it being a perfectly good little motor that has NEVER let me down, with less than 50,000 on the clock. I could have flogged it for at least a grand if I didn't actually still want it, which I DID, BUT NO NOW IT IS DESTROYED FOREVER along with all its contents which I had no desire to lose either.

This is possibly the single greatest loss I have EVER suffered in my life and I am SEETHING with a RAGE that is UNIMAGINABLE

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My car was a 2000 reg until the MUTHAFUCKING DVLA ***** crushed it despite it being a perfectly good little motor that has NEVER let me down, with less than 50,000 on the clock. I could have flogged it for at least a grand if I didn't actually still want it, which I DID, BUT NO NOW IT IS DESTROYED FOREVER along with all its contents which I had no desire to lose either.

This is possibly the single greatest loss I have EVER suffered in my life and I am SEETHING with a RAGE that is UNIMAGINABLE

You not have somewhere to store it off-road SORNed?

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008

IF this is the single greatest loss you have EVER suffered in your life, you my friend, have had a very sheltered life.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you think its worth somthing then get some lad to fix it, simple enough to fix a valve for those inclinded. if cant be arsed for the parts/hassle then donate it to local college for them to play with.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
You not have somewhere to store it off-road SORNed?

I could have found somewhere if necessary but I had no intention of not paying the tax as I DID actually use it on the road.

I just didn't know the tax had run out.

Why destroy a perfectly good car because the owner has forgotten to buy a new tax disc?

I had to find out from the police when I reported it stolen

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why destroy a perfectly good car because the owner has forgotten to buy a new tax disc?

because they cant tell between genuine "forgot" and those that habitually dont bother with tax, insurance or MOT. they send out a reminder a couple of weeks before due and they dont tow/crush for weeks after expiry, so it must have been well overdue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here