Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car parking at the AMEX?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The planning application to Lewes DC for the use of Bennetts Field specifies that these "tempoary" parking spaces will be for the use of supporters who have pre-purchased hospitality packages - ie you can't just turn up and park. There is no evidence in the application that further parking will ever be available at Falmer Academy (unless I've missed it), just a statement of intent.

Where is the Falmer Acadamy?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
If transport turns out to be a complete nightmare then it would be very unlikely that any application would be supported, especially not with the Greens having a major share of the Council seats.

Must admit it did cross my mind that with the Greens now being the largest party on the council, that the expansion of the AMEX will be put on hold until after the next council elections, as in my experience the Green types don't tend too look favorably on the football 'oiks'.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

If its not possible to demonstrate that the transport system can support 22,500 fans then they are hardly going to allow an application for another 7,500, are they? Its not a difficult conclusion to make. If the train + coach + cycle + bus + P&R isn't handled sensibly and it results in people making car trips and parking where they can then its not going to go down well is it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The planning application to Lewes DC for the use of Bennetts Field specifies that these "tempoary" parking spaces will be for the use of supporters who have pre-purchased hospitality packages - ie you can't just turn up and park. There is no evidence in the application that further parking will ever be available at Falmer Academy (unless I've missed it), just a statement of intent.

There wouldn't be.

The Bennett's Field application is made to Lewes District Council. The Falmer Academy application would be made to Brighton & Hove City Council.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If its not possible to demonstrate that the transport system can support 22,500 fans then they are hardly going to allow an application for another 7,500, are they? Its not a difficult conclusion to make. If the train + coach + cycle + bus + P&R isn't handled sensibly and it results in people making car trips and parking where they can then its not going to go down well is it.

Yes, but, bearing in mind you said 'especially not with the Greens having the major number of seats in the council', what difference would a Green administration in the City Council make compared to a Conservative or Labour one on that score?

And where did the notion that a planning application for 7,500 extra seats before the New Year come from?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I still await a response on the subject of transport to the Amex, ie bus, train, car, as I think there are a number of questions still to be answered. Have paid a deposit for coach travel but realistically have no idea how I am going to get to the stadium in August.

Would be really nice to know what the club really expects on this issue.

There wouldn't be.

The Bennett's Field application is made to Lewes District Council. The Falmer Academy application would be made to Brighton & Hove City Council.
There doesn't need to be a planning application to use the Falmer Academy site for car parking. It's already been approved. It's just that the site won't be available for a few years.

As for the Bennett's Field application becoming a permanent solution ... one factor might be whether or not Mr & Mrs Bennett want their field back.

The other one factor is that the higher volume of traffic going along Village Way once Bennett's Field comes into use as a car park WILL cause a traffic problem and long queues. Even the Albion's own traffic consultants are saying that. There is, however, a plan to ensure that the traffic problem is scaled back, but it requires a temporary ban on right turns on to the A27 Brighton-bound slip road for traffic coming from Woodingdean during busy periods on matchdays. Instead of turning right on to the slip road, Brighton-bound traffic will have to cross the flyover and do a u-turn around the roundabout next to the Swan, before returning across the flyover to turn left on to the slip road.

Interesting. So they have taken note on the disabled spaces then perhaps? Do you think the others are for 1901 or are they going to be generally available?
Surely only those that literally can't travel by train or bus should be allocated i.e disabled.
1900 Club members have been promised priority for convenient parking spaces. The disabled parking spaces in Bennett's Field are no way sufficient to meet the demand for Blue Badge parking that a stadium serving 22,500 spectators requires. Other Blue Badge parking will have to be found elsewhere.

There wouldn't be.

The justification in the Bennett's Field application is that the majority of the parking at Falmer Academy (already approved by B&HCC) is not available and the proposal is for up to 650 temporary spaces until 2014 when the Falmer Academy development will have been completed. However, there is no evidence in the application that further match day parking at the Academy will ever be available so perhaps the club intends this car park to become a permanent feature?

The other one factor is that the higher volume of traffic going along Village Way once Bennett's Field comes into use as a car park WILL cause a traffic problem and long queues. Even the Albion's own traffic consultants are saying that. There is, however, a plan to ensure that the traffic problem is scaled back, but it requires a temporary ban on right turns on to the A27 Brighton-bound slip road for traffic coming from Woodingdean during busy periods on matchdays. Instead of turning right on to the slip road, Brighton-bound traffic will have to cross the flyover and do a u-turn around the roundabout next to the Swan, before returning across the flyover to turn left on to the slip road.
It's also not clear whether the traffic flow projections etc take any account of the cars and buses travelling to/from the Race Hill P&R via the A27 intersection at Falmer. The consultants cross-refer to data contained in the original stadium application; the Race Hill P&R was also announced after the Bennetts Field application was submitted?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
1900 Club members have been promised priority for convenient parking spaces. The disabled parking spaces in Bennett's Field are no way sufficient to meet the demand for Blue Badge parking that a stadium serving 22,500 spectators requires. Other Blue Badge parking will have to be found elsewhere.

What about the other one ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There doesn't need to be a planning application to use the Falmer Academy site for car parking. It's already been approved. It's just that the site won't be available for a few years.

As for the Bennett's Field application becoming a permanent solution ... one factor might be whether or not Mr & Mrs Bennett want their field back.

I think if that has any effect on people getting to esporta or Brighton University playing fields there will be hell on! We get to esporta at around 12 ish ( pilates class) and so we should be fine, however there are many games of football and american football etc on Saturday played on teh Brighton Uni fields and presumably players will get there around 2 ish.

it could be quite interesting how the stewards are going to play this...we all have esporta car parking passes and will be let down village way, but these people park in the uni car park by the football fields and hav e no passes

It's also not clear whether the traffic flow projections etc take any account of the cars and buses travelling to/from the Race Hill P&R via the A27 intersection at Falmer. The consultants cross-refer to data contained in the original stadium application; the Race Hill P&R was also announced after the Bennetts Field application was submitted?
Park & Ride at the Racecourse was always built into the plans for Falmer - basically to serve traffic coming along the A259 corridor, rather than the A27. There could be problems at Falmer if the racecourse site attracts A27 traffic (because, for example, there isn't enough parking capacity elsewhere) - especially if there are also long queues building up to get access into Bennett's Field.

As you say ... the consultants' report that has been submitted to LDC seems to deal mainly with the isolated local impact of the Bennett's Field proposal. I'd also be concerned about the impact of Bennett's Field on the efficiency of all of the Park & Ride services. Will queuing to get into and out of Village Way mean that turnround times for P&R buses become significantly longer? That would have the effect of requiring more P&R buses (and more expense) to maintain the planned frequencies.

The issue isn't just a planning matter, though. It's also about the matchday experience of the customers.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think if that has any effect on people getting to esporta or Brighton University playing fields there will be hell on! We get to esporta at around 12 ish ( pilates class) and so we should be fine, however there are many games of football and american football etc on Saturday played on teh Brighton Uni fields and presumably players will get there around 2 ish.

it could be quite interesting how the stewards are going to play this...we all have esporta car parking passes and will be let down village way, but these people park in the uni car park by the football fields and hav e no passes

There was a leaflet handed out at Esporta about 2 months ago which outlined the agreement on parking that had been made in discussions with Richard Hebberd.

This seemed to indicate that access to the club would be unencumbered for members with a few provisos;

1) people should try and avoid arriving at the club for an hour before and after games (i.e. between 2pm and 3pm on a matchday or between 5pm and 6pm).

2) the club were looking to impose their own restrictions saying that any car in the car park must have at elast on member in the club for the duration of the match (so no parking and then all occupants of the car bimbling off to the match)

3) cars should not park for more than x hours on a matchday (I think it was 3 hours, might have been 4)

I'm sure other sidebar agreements will have been made with the Brighton uni and sports clubs using the fields/3g pitch

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There was a leaflet handed out at Esporta about 2 months ago which outlined the agreement on parking that had been made in discussions with Richard Hebberd.

This seemed to indicate that access to the club would be unencumbered for members with a few provisos;

1) people should try and avoid arriving at the club for an hour before and after games (i.e. between 2pm and 3pm on a matchday or between 5pm and 6pm).

2) the club were looking to impose their own restrictions saying that any car in the car park must have at elast on member in the club for the duration of the match (so no parking and then all occupants of the car bimbling off to the match)

3) cars should not park for more than x hours on a matchday (I think it was 3 hours, might have been 4)

I'm sure other sidebar agreements will have been made with the Brighton uni and sports clubs using the fields/3g pitch

I saw a flyer regarding the 4 hour limit unless someone is in the club all the time ( as the Mrs will be), I didn't see the bit about getting there during those hours. Thanks for that, it certainly makes sense.

BTW did you see the letter about Virgin taking over the club? I hope they wont bang the fees up for next year!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Park & Ride at the Racecourse was always built into the plans for Falmer - basically to serve traffic coming along the A259 corridor, rather than the A27. There could be problems at Falmer if the racecourse site attracts A27 traffic (because, for example, there isn't enough parking capacity elsewhere) - especially if there are also long queues building up to get access into Bennett's Field.

As you say ... the consultants' report that has been submitted to LDC seems to deal mainly with the isolated local impact of the Bennett's Field proposal. I'd also be concerned about the impact of Bennett's Field on the efficiency of all of the Park & Ride services. Will queuing to get into and out of Village Way mean that turnround times for P&R buses become significantly longer? That would have the effect of requiring more P&R buses (and more expense) to maintain the planned frequencies.

The issue isn't just a planning matter, though. It's also about the matchday experience of the customers.

If parking on Bennett's Field is for 1901 members, then anecdotally, they may well arrive earlier than the usual pre-match rush. Not everyone, of course. Not that you'd want to set a policy around that notion.

Additionally, traffic using the Racecourse for P&R may not be quite so heavy as originally thought for people coming from A259 as Brighton & Hove Buses will be operating a shuttle service from Rottingdean High Street to the stadium on matchdays.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If parking on Bennett's Field is for 1901 members, then anecdotally, they may well arrive earlier than the usual pre-match rush. Not everyone, of course. Not that you'd want to set a policy around that notion.

Additionally, traffic using the Racecourse for P&R may not be quite so heavy as originally thought for people coming from A259 as Brighton & Hove Buses will be operating a shuttle service from Rottingdean High Street to the stadium on matchdays.

Those buses will be expected to serve people from saltdean, rottingdean plus peacehaven (who will use the 14 or 12 to Rottingdean) as well as routes via ovingdean and woodingdean. I'll be really surprised if it knocks a huge dent in the use of the race hill park and ride. Also Lord B's point is that the issue will be if people go southbound from the A27 to the race hill via the B2123 and warren road rather than people going striaght to it via the a259

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here